Notices
Evo How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you're looking for a how-to on something, ask in here.

Mechanical o2 Fix

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2004, 04:20 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mechanical o2 Fix

This is how to make a mechanical o2 fix if you have a test pipe/resonator/high flow cat, that gives a cel. You can find it on ebay for about 15 dollars shipped. But why buy it when you can make it for 3 dollars using parts from your local Pep Boys?

First of all you will need 2 spark plug anti-foulers (18mm). It is made by the HELP! brand part#42002 or 42009.

You will also need a 1/2" drill bit and drill. Or a drill bit close to that size

Drill one one the anti-foulers so that the o2 sensor can fit. I recommend using a vise grip and lube for the drill bit if you ever plan on using it again.

This is how the hole should look after. If it doesn't come out nice use a dremel or a file.

Put the one anti-fouler you drilled and connect it on top of the one you didn't. Now you don't have to buy a electrical fix and splice your wires.

Here it is installed. I recommend using anti seize on all treads.

Here is one I tried and gave up on.

Old Sep 21, 2004, 06:41 AM
Evolved Member

wow great write up! I think I may try this before installing the o2 simulator.
Old Sep 21, 2004, 07:29 AM

I did this about 6 months ago and everything works great. Not every upgrade needs to be top dollar to be effective!
Old Sep 21, 2004, 11:05 AM
Evolving Member

I just did this about a half hour ago while installing my downpipe and cat delete. I'll let you guys know if the light comes on at all.
Old Sep 21, 2004, 11:10 AM
Evolved Member

ok cool ! We are all anxiously waiting I do have one question though...? How does this work? I mean with adding those adapters and making it longer, which pulls the o2 sensor out, how does this work in keeping the CEL from coming on? With those 2 adapters in place, it looks like the o2 sensor will be totally out of the exhaust stream.

Last edited by caymandiver75; Sep 21, 2004 at 11:12 AM.
Old Sep 21, 2004, 11:14 AM
Evolving Member

Guys here is one of the many threads that was started on this, many people have done this and it works for the long term. See this thread. As far as your last method using the pipe fittings you should paint it with some high heat paint that standard metal used to make pipe fittings will rust very badly when exposed to high heat and moisture, it could rust it self where you will have trouble trying to take it off. Just a heads up the anti foul adapters are the way to go. https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=62524
Old Sep 21, 2004, 09:03 PM
Evolving Member

This isn't exactly a long term test by any means, but I put my DC Sports downpipe on this morning which eliminates the catalytic converter. At the same time I installed the o2 fix used in this thread. After driving 80 miles round trip I never saw a CEL. Hopefully it will stay that way long term and I will be very happy. I spoke to another member on here the other night who is using the o2 fix and has quite a few other mods, including cams, and he also has no CEL problems.
Old Sep 22, 2004, 10:09 AM
Evolving Member

I've driven about 2000 miles since I've written this and no cel. I learned about this from the subaru guys, and I'm very surprised how effective this actually is.

Heads up for most people with aftermarket cat backs: The catback may need to be lower while this is installed, b/c it has very little space between the o2 bung and chassis.
Old Sep 25, 2004, 10:09 AM
Evolved Member

Just did mine and I am happy

I was getting cell everyday

Thanks for making this infromative post
Old Oct 17, 2004, 06:27 PM
Evolving Member

will this also work on the N/A lancer w/ a header installed? Please PM w/ details.
Old Oct 20, 2004, 06:43 AM
Evolved Member

can this be adapted to work with a helix pipe? has anyone used it on one?
Old Oct 27, 2004, 05:16 PM
Evolved Member

Doing this mod in this fashion (or even using just one rather than two) basically puts the o2 sensor WAY too close to the undercarriage of the car. This is especially true with an aftermarket exhaust. There is no room for movement. You might want to rethink this mod. If I get my hands on a camera, I'll post an alternate method.

I apologize if I sound overly cruel. It was a good short term idea (say 1 or 2 days), but unfortunatley not a good long term one.
Old Oct 27, 2004, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by thebluesky
Doing this mod in this fashion (or even using just one rather than two) basically puts the o2 sensor WAY too close to the undercarriage of the car. This is especially true with an aftermarket exhaust. There is no room for movement. You might want to rethink this mod. If I get my hands on a camera, I'll post an alternate method.

I apologize if I sound overly cruel. It was a good short term idea (say 1 or 2 days), but unfortunatley not a good long term one.
I have the same problem, have you come up with any solutions to solve this problem?
Old Oct 28, 2004, 06:54 PM
Evolved Member

yes, my friend and I have. Like I said, as soon as I get my hands on a digital camera, I'll happily post it up.
Old Oct 28, 2004, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by thebluesky
yes, my friend and I have. Like I said, as soon as I get my hands on a digital camera, I'll happily post it up.
Right on! Get that digital camera!

Quick Reply: Mechanical o2 Fix