EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo How To Requests / Questions / Tips (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-how-requests-questions-tips-112/)
-   -   Evo 4 to Evo 8 Engine swap (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-how-requests-questions-tips/556045-evo-4-evo-8-engine-swap.html)

Dave Dub May 15, 2011 04:47 PM

Evo 4 to Evo 8 Engine swap

Has anyone done it? How did you get on with it? Is it complicated? What BHP can you bring the car up too safely with the internals of the engine? What mod's should I do with the engine, It will be out for a month or two or so I can work on it...

Thanks !

AndyCT9W May 15, 2011 05:10 PM

I have a friend who put an EVO 7 engine into his EVO 4, it was a straight forward swap. All he put in was the block and the head and just used all the other components from the EVO 4 engine. The hp gain wasn't huge but there was a bit of torque increase. His car was noticeably quicker.

I would imagine the 8 wouldn't be much different. It's still a good idea to bring across the turbo and ecu for better gains.

Dave Dub May 15, 2011 05:18 PM

Cheers, I have done the Mivec to GSR 1.8 Turbo in the mirage which was easy although that was FWD.

This been AWD I though I might run into gearbox problems, the Evo 4 engine is bang on. It's just I heard the cranks on them can be a big problem so I want to just get the swap out of the way . Just want to know what I am getting into! :D

Was told getting the injectors and ecu from an evo 5 then getting it mapped would do the world of good and bring up the figure..

I'm looking for about 330BHP, it's the FQ260 Engine I am putting in. So it's stock 260.

Any nice mod's I could do to bring it up too that figure, how will the driveline take to the new engine?

Thanks

AndyCT9W May 18, 2011 02:57 AM

You've heard right about the EVO 4 cranks, they often have a tendency to go walkabout and spin off centre. I've been told it happens when they get started with the clutch pedal pushed in. Idk though. I'm not sure about the injectors and ecu but the EVO 8s here and jdm EVO 8s make 280+ bhp so a tune should get you up and over 280 no problem. And 330 isn't much past that.

pilotage1111 Aug 12, 2015 09:32 PM

Has anyoNe here done a complete engine with its automatic transmission swap from an evo 7 to an evo 5?

Bally205 Oct 7, 2015 05:32 PM

Why automatic?

LJ7two4 Jan 10, 2018 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by AndyCT9W (Post 9321015)
I have a friend who put an EVO 7 engine into his EVO 4, it was a straight forward swap. All he put in was the block and the head and just used all the other components from the EVO 4 engine. The hp gain wasn't huge but there was a bit of torque increase. His car was noticeably quicker.

I would imagine the 8 wouldn't be much different. It's still a good idea to bring across the turbo and ecu for better gains.

So theoretically I can run evo 8 block to replace with my evo 4 head/transmission/tcase?