EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo How To Requests / Questions / Tips (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-how-requests-questions-tips-112/)
-   -   Developing custom FMIC (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-how-requests-questions-tips/57404-developing-custom-fmic.html)

bishiboy Jan 4, 2004 11:53 AM

Developing custom FMIC (new pics)

1 Attachment(s)
Being the kinda guy that like to fabricate my own stuff; I took on the challange of developing my own custom intercooler.
I know there are good ones out there for only a couple hundered more, I just wanted to do it myself.
The only negative about the IC I have is the end tank design. I'm going to talk with my welder buddy about cutting them off and adding a wedge of sheet alum. to tilt the tanks upward and open up the tanks/direct the flow toward the center of the core.

bishiboy Jan 4, 2004 11:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The stock pipes will work with 3" - 2 1/2" reducers (which I am waiting on).
I'm also developing custom IC pipes, kinda like Buscher's.

bishiboy Jan 4, 2004 11:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)
It clears the crash bar.
I will have to trim the splash shield.

bishiboy Jan 4, 2004 11:59 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Oh yeah,
It a 24"X12"X3" bar and plate Hybrid technology core.

bishiboy Jan 4, 2004 12:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The attachment brakets I made aren't finished, (I going to clean the up a litte). I made them with slotted holes for fine adustment.
It's on there solid.

bishiboy Jan 4, 2004 12:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Side

bishiboy Jan 4, 2004 12:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Front end mocked up.
Looks good.

bishiboy Jan 4, 2004 12:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
One more.
I'm going to run it before I weld up the re-designed end tanks to see how it flows. I'm going to use a IR thermometer to see if flow is getting to the top.
I haven't touched my boost controller so I will be able to tell if boost drops. I also currently hit full boost in 3rd at 3400rpms, (which I'll check after).

MP5 Jan 4, 2004 12:09 PM

Originally posted by bishiboy
Front end mocked up.
Looks good.

It looks good Bishi was there a reason you chose a 3" core? Wondering bout space

bishiboy Jan 4, 2004 12:13 PM

There's plenty of room. a couple tuners use 3.5 and 3.6" cores.

EvoVIIIGuy Jan 4, 2004 12:25 PM

AMS Came out with their own design and it was a great improvement over stock FMIC, It was about all they could squeeze into that opening and the endtank design is much more open to flow than yours is,, but congrats on comming out with your own stuff, now you can figure out what works best and what does not!

bpclements Jan 4, 2004 12:30 PM

Very nice man. I can't wait to check it out once you have it all done. Also, could you have made the brakets so that it would pull the intercooler up more so it would clear the undertray. That's kinda what I am shooting for, clearing the undertray and factory crash beam.

Looks awesome man!!!!!!

MP5 Jan 4, 2004 12:33 PM

dirtbike :yum:

bishiboy Jan 4, 2004 12:40 PM

The reason I have it mounted lower is:
1. Allow more air to radiator
2. Line up with stock IC pipes
Splash shield timming is now big deal.

me612 Jan 4, 2004 05:35 PM

wassap man, this is Brandon, the guy who bought ur shift knob. looks pretty nice. Pretty cool that u did that and saved ur self some cash. Did the intercooler come with those little tapped fittings on the top and bottom that u used to screw your brackets on?