Notices
Evo How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

How To Install: New HID Bulbs w/ Partial Bumper Removal. (Pics)

Old Jul 13, 2005, 07:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post How To Install: New HID Bulbs w/ Partial Bumper Removal. (Pics)

I know what you have been thinking. The stock HID’s are not very white. They are around 3400 kelvin. I am going to show you detailed instructions on how to install a new HID bulb. You can buy 3000 Kelvin( Yellow), 6000 Kelvin ( Blue-white), 8000 Kelvin ( Blue Blue-White), 12000 Kelvin( Blue-Purple) or even 14000 Kelvin ( Deep Purple). For more info on this subject, click here.click here

Normally, You need to remove the entire bumper in order to access the headlights, but I will show you how to do a half bumper removal for those of you who still have the undertray on. Those w/o can remove the entire bumper very easily and will not need this guide.
First, the tools:
10 mm socket, long or short, but I recommend using a ¼ inch drive because it’s smaller and will be easier to get into tight spaces, and the ratchet will do minimal damage if dropped.
Short Phillips head #2 screwdriver, a stubby will do fine but use a #2 cause the smaller one will strip heads.
Small regular screwdriver
Needle Nose Pliers
Several CLEAN rags. I like to use those nifty microfiber towels.
Blue Painters Tape, wider is better
Masking Tape, wider is better
If you use a Leatherman or some other multi-tool, then it will kill 3 birds w/ one stone.
A pair of D2S HID bulbs of your preference.
Why masking tape??? I will get to that later.

First use the blue masking tape to completely tape off the fenders and headlights, preferably individually, and remove front plate bracket if it is on.

Next cover the blue tape w/ regular masking tape. Lots of layers on the bottom of the fender, at least 3. This step is extremely important if you have an aftermarket fiberglass or CF bumper like me.

Using stubby Phillips Head, remove the 2 clips in the wheelwell, turn your steering wheel if needed for better access.

Next using 10mm socket, remove screw directly above the 2 clips mentioned before.

Now using Flathead, pop out your retaining clips that are near the hood release.

Then, remove the 2 10mm bolts outboard of the clips you just removed.

You can now move your bumper forward, putting a rag under the front. You might snag your bumper on the IC piping and hoses so be careful. The stock urethane bumper has a lot more flex and give than aftermarket Fiberglass and CF. If you have a stock bumper, there is a small white popper that connects the bumper to the headlight as well. You can see in this picture the reason for using the masking tape, to not scratch the fender. The day I did this picture was the same day I picked up the car from paint, so the paint on the fender is still fresh- reason for blue tape. I had scratched the fenders on bumper install!
Unbolt the forward bolt (light colored one)

You should pop the little connecter shown to make it easier, but not necessary if you have a ¼ inch ratchet. Under the connector is 2 bolts, (Brass colored), unbolt the lower one; the upper one connects to the radiator.

Next unbolt the top 2 headlight bolts. Do NOT use a screwdriver! The outer one has a square hole that will hold the headlight if necessary. You should be able to remove the headlight assembly, unplugging the main harness on the bottom, and the foglight and highbeam harnesses as well.

You will see a round cylinder behind the projector beam. Unscrew the Phillips head screw and then turn cover to loosen.

After removing cover you should be able to see the plug, turn to loosen.

Next is the bulb itself. Push on clip to remove, similar to an H4 (9004) headlamp like a Honda Civic. You should be able to remove bulb now, being careful not to touch the lamp. Compare bulbs to make sure that the holes match each other.

Installation is reverse!

Here are pics i took of the light on a white wall, car was in same position both pics:
stock HID

new 6k HID:

stock Headlight:

6k headlight:

8k headlight (My V6 accord)

any questions, PM me or email me directly @ mrbkkt1@hotpop.com

Last edited by mrbkkt1; Jul 13, 2005 at 11:38 PM.
Old Jul 14, 2005, 08:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Discuss thread HERE!