Notices
Evo How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

Repairing Damaged and Faded Carbon Wings

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2007, 10:32 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I doubt that logic will hold up at the dealer.

But some of these wings definitely seem better than others. You might have gotten lucky. (I doubt that too, though)
Old Aug 7, 2007, 12:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by delongedoug
Is there any chance that the warranty covers the parts that are replaced under that warranty?

Say my wing was fading and I got it replaced under warranty. It would come as no surprise if the new wing started to fade too. Even though you're over the warranty with miles, they know when it was put on and if it's withing the original warranty timeframe, think there's any chance to get it replaced again? I doubt it, but it makes sense.

My point is, if they replace a crappy part with the same crappy part, shouldn't you be able to get that fixed again? Meh. Even though my wing just got replaced, I just feel like it will happen to this one too. Why wouldn't it?
just be sure to wax it after every wash with a good wax or sealer that has UV inhibitors in it and it should keep it from happening again.
Old Aug 11, 2007, 05:55 AM

Man, wish I would have seen this thread a few weeks ago. had a friend with "paint and body experience" refinish the top of my wing, but he left a few scratches that he sprayed clear over. any suggestions on removing the scratches? does the clear need to be completely removed again, or can it be sanded even with the scratches and recoated?
Old Aug 11, 2007, 11:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
If the scrathes are on the actual carbon fiber (below the clear) you need to do it all over. If its in the clear, use some 2000 grit wet sandpaper and then finish with a "fine scratch remover" rubbing compound. THIS works well to get 2000 grit scratches out real easily. Buff with a good wax and you'll be fine. Sounds like you'll need a do-over though.

Its all in the attention to details with stuff like this...can't rush it.

I just redid my wing:
Attached Thumbnails Repairing Damaged and Faded Carbon Wings-wing2.jpg   Repairing Damaged and Faded Carbon Wings-wing3.jpg  

Last edited by Jack_of_Trades; Aug 11, 2007 at 11:55 PM.
Old Aug 12, 2007, 05:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by scotdw6
What clear coat did you use?
Krylon acrylic clearcoat in a spray can from Walmart . Did about 6-8 medium coats (a full can) waiting roughly 10-15 minutes between each coat. Let it sit for 6 hours and wetsanded it smooth with 2000 grit wet sandpaper on a foam padded block. Finished her off with the rubbing compound I mentioned earlier and waxed it to a nice shine (with UV protectant wax of course).

My wing has been delaminated for a long time (previous owner never fixed it) so I had some slight discoloration in those areas so i didn't go "all out" on my wing. I just wanted the clearcoat to look more uniform for now. Luckily, you can BARELY see the discolored areas.
Old Aug 12, 2007, 06:09 PM
Evolving Member

The wing came out good! I was going to use the Krylon acrylic clearcoat. I ended up buying the rustoleum high heat clear coat. I took awhile to fix, but it came out nice.
Old Sep 23, 2007, 05:05 PM

wow that cleans up pretty damn well, i have a body shop friend of mine that could take care of mine now that i know it can be fixed so well
Old Nov 3, 2007, 02:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts
is there a clear plastic film that is uv resistant that can be applied on the top part, like the clear bra thing only making sure its uv resistant.
Old Nov 3, 2007, 01:59 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hey driftking, what exactly sandpaper and clear coat paint did you use to repaint? My wing is in bad shape right now, let me know where u get the sandpaper and clear coat, link please if possible! thank you in advance!

ps: you did a good job on your wing! btw your private message box is full
Old Nov 25, 2007, 10:55 PM

I'm planning on doing this with my wing in a few days... it's in pretty bad shape. Probably won't look perfect when I'm done cause it's so bad but we'll see.

My question is... is it a bad idea to put the clear coat on when it's cold outside? It's in the 30s to low 40s around here now. If it's too cold to apply the clear... is there anything I can do to still get it done this week? Like use a light bulb or heat gun or something. Or would it be ok to sand off the clear coat that's on it right now and wait until it gets warmer out (spring time probably) to put on the new clear?
Old Nov 25, 2007, 11:07 PM
Evolved Member

If its below 60-65 degrees, dont bother. You won't get adhesion and you will waste a lot of your time. If you can bring the wing inside for a day, then quickly bring it outside and spray it, then bring it back in you just might get away with it. My clear is actually re-lifting so be sure to get a good quality clear coat and I would suggest to finish it with 400 grit before you spray it for better adhesion.
Old Nov 27, 2007, 05:10 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evoLuzN
hey driftking, what exactly sandpaper and clear coat paint did you use to repaint? My wing is in bad shape right now, let me know where u get the sandpaper and clear coat, link please if possible! thank you in advance!

ps: you did a good job on your wing! btw your private message box is full

Try to find a paint supply store, Like Bob's paint. They are all over the place. If not checkout the net, do a local paint supply store search... They will have your 3M sand paper and the things you will need to get the job done right.

Start with a 600, then once all the old clear is gone switch to a 1200. For clear coat go with Dupont Chroma clear. It's expensive but you get what you pay for....really good clear.

Last edited by DRFTKNGG; Nov 27, 2007 at 05:17 PM.
Old Nov 27, 2007, 05:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jackyll
I'm planning on doing this with my wing in a few days... it's in pretty bad shape. Probably won't look perfect when I'm done cause it's so bad but we'll see.

My question is... is it a bad idea to put the clear coat on when it's cold outside? It's in the 30s to low 40s around here now. If it's too cold to apply the clear... is there anything I can do to still get it done this week? Like use a light bulb or heat gun or something. Or would it be ok to sand off the clear coat that's on it right now and wait until it gets warmer out (spring time probably) to put on the new clear?

Yes bad idea to paint when it is cold, or humid.
Remove the wing, do it in your garage. Use a space heater to get the room temp to around 75-78 degree's depending on the gun your using and how much is sprayed between flash time.
Old Nov 27, 2007, 05:22 PM
Evolved Member

For all you Rustoleum and Krylon users....
Get ready to do them all over again in a few months, maybe a few weeks.
First sign is the white cloudy look.

Spend a little money and buy the good stuff. Go buy a cheap gravity fed gun at Harbor freight. Most of you have access to an air compressor. Put an inline filter for clear air..done.
Old Nov 28, 2007, 11:20 PM

How do I know when I got all the old clear coat off?

Quick Reply: Repairing Damaged and Faded Carbon Wings