Notices
Evo How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

QTP Downpipe(cutout) Install

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2008, 07:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
does it bolt on? or is it welded?
Old Jan 19, 2008, 09:03 PM
Evolved Member

Well, I checked it out and the problem is the downpipe flange is wider in diameter than the stock-type flange. Im going to loosen the bolts at the cat/dp to lower it some and get a wrench in there and take off the heat shield and cut it a little shorter so it isnt over the flange. I should only have to cut off like 5/8ths of an inch...

Back to work, and THEN I can start the fun stuff.
Old Jan 19, 2008, 09:56 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I bent my shield up until it no longer hit. I did have a problem of the cutout flange hitting my driveline's U-joint in first gear WOT!!! I remedied this by using a different exhaust hanger(taller) and installing a "Blox" Roll Stopper (lower engine/torque mount). Works like a charm. And I love the better transient response that the Roll Stopper gives. (along with some added vibration, of course)

Be sure to check the top of your cutout flange and make sure you are not hitting the driveline. It makes one hell of a clatter.
Old Jan 19, 2008, 10:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah....the rattle is most likely from the cat hitting the heat shield....you can either cut the heat shield, run a self tapping screw through the shield to the chassis, or remove the heat shield altogether...

Here are my gains with the downpipe open vs closed...the closed pull was done with the stock cat....i have put on a resonated testpipe on the car since then....

Old Jan 20, 2008, 12:34 AM
Evolved Member

You have the res. test pipe on the stock cat back?

I have it all installed and it all works, I had a little turn-down made but the supplied bolts were too small to add that, so Ill get some new ones tomarrow. The one thing that bothers me is that it smells like the car is on fire!. It smells like exhaust even with the cutout closed. Not alot mind you, but just a hint (noticable) of exhaust. I imagine it may be from the gas just dumping under the car, and the residual smell lingers. I dont know. I checked for leaks, could be the cutout leaking though? Im going to drive it tomarrow to get some things from the hardware store and then bring it home pretty warm/hot and check the torques again. It took me 2 days to install this and an LC-1. Granted I am a picky SOB and have the cleanest wiring you have ever seen... still.

Questions..
Anyone else smell smoke after install? Will the underside of my car get covered in suit? Can you hear a little growl(ier) sound even with the cutout closed?? and finally, did you drive with a map tuned while open or a map tuned while closed.
Old Jan 20, 2008, 01:14 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Jameson_IXMR
I suppose thats possible, I plan on piping it off to the side, so sound levels shouldnt be an issue. It is possible their knock is from it tapping the crossbar.

Anyway, Im getting back to work at this.!! Just some wiring and a test drive away!
i think that makes the most sense, cant wait to see pics when its all done
Old Jan 20, 2008, 01:38 AM

Balance shafts through a block ?.... omg ive been running a cut out on my evo for 1 yr without tunning just runs slightly leaner when open wouldn't worry
Old Jan 20, 2008, 02:13 AM
Evolved Member

Install complete. My camera has been dead and the charger is elsewhere, so I did an excelent job explaining everything instead. I edited the first post with important information about installing this product.
Old Jan 20, 2008, 02:14 AM
Evolving Member

nice write up
Old Jan 20, 2008, 04:19 AM
Evolved Member

Can you attach a pic. I might be able to trouble shoot.

Are you talking about the heat shield attached to the body of the car or the heat shield that is surrounding the cat?
Old Jan 20, 2008, 11:43 AM
Evolved Member

Yes it was the heat shield attached to the body of the car right over the Cat. Ill get a picture up as soon as I get back from the hardware store....
Old Jan 20, 2008, 12:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dont get QTP its not worth the hassle, get McCord cut out and get a shop to weld it on.
Old Jan 20, 2008, 12:53 PM
Evolving Member

I love my QTP. It was a slight hassle, but I love doing this stuff. So it was fun for me.
Old Jan 20, 2008, 01:57 PM
Evolved Member

I checked out the McCord plate. It is pretty nice, (better than most) but I feel that the motor is a little underpowered and will likely burn up fast. The McCords are usually used for smaller diameter piping (camaros and stuff), where as our 1 pipe is gigantic, the larger the butterfly the more power it will take to turn it against the force of the exhaust. But the exhaust does equal out to make theoretically no force on the plate, but once it starts moving, that is a different story.
Old Jan 26, 2008, 10:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
I also have one and when it's closed, there is indeed a leak. I couldn't tell until I got my cams installed, cuz it lopes and every time it lopes, you can feel the air pulsing out. Upon further investigation, there's an area where the butterfly doesn't close at...it's at the corners of the butterfly's cylindrical shaft.

Quick Reply: QTP Downpipe(cutout) Install