Notices
Evo How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

HOW TO: Add power windows to an RS

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2007, 01:22 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
HOW TO: Add power windows to an RS

I will edit this post as I finish up the project.

Parts needed:
-Door panels and switches from any Evo with power windows
-Inner metal door hoops for the grab handles for the front doors
-Plugs that connect to the switches(I had whole door harnesses)
-A relay
-12 gauge or thicker wire

First remove the door panels following the HOW TO: Front speaker installation, as well as the metal hoops for the grab handle.

Next remove the plastic weather liner from the side of the door

Now it's time to pull the window regulator.(Windows have to be all the way up)
All the gold bolts have to be removed, they are 10mm bolts.
-3 bolts holding the window track in the middle of the door
-3 bolts holding the window regulator(crank) to the door(The pic has them already them removed)
-2 bolts that are semi hidden at the very top holding the glass to the part that goes up and down the track.
I was able to do this part by myself, with the help of some zip ties. I thought it would be hard, but it's real easy. Take one of the bolts out, stick your hand in the door and hold the window, take the 2nd one out and hold the window as you feed a zip tie through the hole for the bolt you just took out.(I'm not responsible if you have crappy zip ties and they break, or you just didn't fasten the zip tie correctly.) The window is not that heavy, the zip ties that I have are from the stereo shop I work at so they are thicker than most I have seen. If you don't feel comfortable doing this, you can always stick a long screwdriver in the hole as well.

Once the window is secure, take the rest of the bolts out for the regulator and and window slide. Turn the unit on it's side and it comes right out. Once you do one door to get the hang of it, the rest shouldn't take you more than 5-10 min to do.

Installation of the power window regulators is the exact opposite. Here is a little trick incase your regulators are not completely in the up position. Get a spare 12v battery, (or use the one in the car)2 pieces of wire and a 30amp fuse to go in between on the power side. Connect a wire to the battery ground, connect the other wire with the fuse to battery positive, then connect one wire to each wire on the motor plug harness (Red/Black and Green /Black). The motor will move one way or the other. Motor not moving in the right direction? No problem! Just flip the wires.

I'll edit this post later on this week as I finish wiring up the relay and running the wires. Drivers side is done, just have to do the rest of the doors

If anyone will want to do this, i'll have an extra set of Evo 8 panels, rear switches, and 4 door harnesses . PM me and we'll talk...

Last edited by w8lifter21; Oct 15, 2007 at 01:30 PM. Reason: More info....
Old Oct 15, 2007, 03:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks for the write up. I am actually about to add these to my RS. I pmed you to let you know that i was interested in your extra set of panels.
Old Oct 19, 2007, 06:29 AM
Evolving Member

Front doors:
Since I had complete door harnesses, I just cut all the tape and insulation away on the harness and pulled the window switch and lock wires from the harness.(In case I add power locks later) No need for all the extra wires and stuff, just adds clutter.

When it comes to running the wires, it's very straight forward. Pull the speaker out, reach around and pull the door side of the door boot into the door. Take a knife and make a 1" cut in the SOFT rubber portion of the boot. Once you pull the door boot into the door, you can feel a difference, can't get my Treo in the door for a good shot. Now reach between the door and the body and pull the body side of the boot to the outside of the car, again cut in the soft rubber.

-The door boot is smaller than on a Evo with power locks, so running 8-10 wires through it is a bit of a challenge, but I found an easy way . Get about 4-5ft of scrap wire, fishing line, or anything that has a high tensile strength and won't break while pulling.

-Take a straightened coathanger and tie/tape one end of the scrap wire to the end of the coat hanger. Pull the door boot into the door, hold it, and shove the wire into the cut you made. The door boot naturally is an "S" shape, buy pulling it into the door, it straightens the "S" out and makes for a straighter shot.

-Once you have your wire through the door, feed about 6"-8" into the car above the drivers kick panel, and leave the rest of the slack in the door side. This is the section of wire that you are going to grab to pull the rest of the wires through.

-Tape 2 wires ON TO the spare wire you just ran. I taped them close to the door boot. Now pull the door boot inside the door, pull on the wire the you left hanging inside the car, and the wires should slide through fairly easily. Once you see the window wires in the car, you should have about 8"-1ft left of spare wire in the door. Do not pull the scrap wire all the way into the car, you need it again.

-Take the tape off the wires you just ran and pull the scrap wire back into the door, again, leaving some slack for you to grab on the inside of the car.

-Tape another 2 wires on to the scrap wire, pull the boot, and pull them into the car.

-DO NOT use the coat hanger to try and shove the 2 wires through the boot over and over again. You'll see what it takes to get the scrap wire through the door, do you really want to have to do it 4-5 more times? Don't wast your time.

-Once you're done, you should have something like this hanging over your kick panel.

I'll add more later. My front doors are done, but the rear doors don't have any boots. Again, i'll edit/add the wire colors, how to wire the relay, etc. later.
Old Oct 19, 2007, 07:44 AM
Evolved Member

This project was sponsored in part by ME!
Old Oct 19, 2007, 07:45 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EvoSjunkie
thanks for the write up. I am actually about to add these to my RS. I pmed you to let you know that i was interested in your extra set of panels.

EvoSJunkie - I know you want those trunk parts from me. Ask Julian whom I dealt with and he can vouch for me!
Old Jul 20, 2009, 08:41 PM
Evolving Member

ahh the pics got deleted... i wanted to see it.
Old Aug 15, 2009, 08:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
me too. can the OP re-up them??
Old Aug 19, 2009, 02:28 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah, if there is anyway possible to repost the pictures. I'm sure someone has them saved locally on here. I just picked up some door panels, window motors and power lock switches, so could really use the pictures now =P
Old Aug 26, 2009, 06:38 AM
Evolving Member

Unfortunately the computer I had these on had to be wiped out completely. I thought I had them backed up, but I lost them along with a few other things on that computer.

If anyone has questions, I will try and answer them as best I can!