Notices
Evo How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

Walbro 400LPH Fuel Pump Modification

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2011, 04:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by tscompusa
im pretty sure once you rewire its gonna overrun the stock fpr. my customers installing this pump tomorrow in his evo 9 not rewired so will get some data with it not rewired and see how much power it can support on e85 with fic 1550's. he only needs around 550 since hes still on stock block.
You will definitely overrun the stock fpr with a rewire. I overran mine with a DW and a rewire.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 12:47 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 67 Likes on 59 Posts
my customer has an issue.. he can only build 5psi after installing his walbro 400. my guess is its not sealing right at his housing.. someone else have any experience with these things that can lend him some advice?
Old Dec 30, 2011, 07:16 AM
drb
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I would recommend removing the fuel pump hanger assembly and checking over the install.

Make sure that the black rubber seal that goes on the fuel pump outlet is fully seated in the housing and that there are no tears or damage of any kind.

Check to be sure that the o-ring that is under the black plug on the side of the fuel pump housing is properly seated.

Check to be sure that the hose clamp around the fuel pump is not overly tight, which can distort the fuel pump housing and cause issues.
Old Jan 7, 2012, 04:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just a question i've read on other threads that you need to use a 255 sock rather than the 400 sock as the 400 doesn't fit.

in the pictures i see people using the 400 sock, so just wondering does the 400 sock fit?

Also any chance of anyone with a picture of the tabs your supose to trim?
Old Jan 8, 2012, 11:16 AM
drb
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by limbi
just a question i've read on other threads that you need to use a 255 sock rather than the 400 sock as the 400 doesn't fit.

in the pictures i see people using the 400 sock, so just wondering does the 400 sock fit?

Also any chance of anyone with a picture of the tabs your supose to trim?
Here is a picture of the fuel pump assembly unmodified that shows the tabs that REV.olution referred to. He cut the fuel pump tube off just above the tabs and eliminated the bottom bracket/holder. The 400 fuel filter fits if you eliminate the bottom bracket/holder. If you keep the bottom bracket/holder as others have done you need to use the stock or 255 fuel filter.

Dan (drb)

Last edited by drb; Oct 9, 2019 at 05:53 PM.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 03:24 AM

thanks guys that makes things clear for me now.
Anyone having any surch issues? i was speaking to my mechanic and he siad the 400 might have issues with surge as the return may not be big enough to handle fuel return at idle?

Anyone with this issue?
Old Jan 12, 2012, 09:58 AM
drb
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by limbi
thanks guys that makes things clear for me now.
Anyone having any surch issues? i was speaking to my mechanic and he siad the 400 might have issues with surge as the return may not be big enough to handle fuel return at idle?

Anyone with this issue?
I haven't seen any issues with surge using the stock fuel return.

Dan (drb)
Old Jan 17, 2012, 09:50 PM

ok. i just did this install and re-did it 3 times. my car fires up but dies right away . if i hold the gas pedal down and keep it above 2k rpms the car will run (anything lower and the car stalls again, holding down the gas pedal or not). before the car dies though, my wideband goes full lean.

me and my buddy disconnected the fpr and put our finger over the outlet of the fuel rail and bumped the engine to see if any fuel is being pushed out, and since i think our fuel pressure is set somewhere around 43psi , fuel would squirt out everywhere trying to push my finger out of the way right? nope.

no pressure in the fuel lines and very little fuel buils up.

we rechecked the install and i dont get it. anyone have any problems? or suggestions? someone commented on having to remove the bottom braket altogether?
Old Jan 17, 2012, 10:12 PM
Evolving Member

Check the pump where the hose connects to the housing. I have seen them either split or the oring not seat properly. I have no experience with the 400, just some issuies I have seen with other pumps.

If you can hear the pump hum, then its either not getting fuel in past the sock, or not getting it to the lines.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 07:27 AM

someone mentioned we're supposed to use the sock from the 255 on the 400? is this correct? we inspected the lines coming away from the canister as we start the engine. nothing leaking. also should point out that we tried putting the my old 255 back on and we get the same problem.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 09:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Seems like people are having problems with this mod. If you don't fully bottom the pump out in the housing it will leak at the oring. Also before you do this mod you should get a new oring. If your car was running fine before the mod then you did something wrong.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 10:08 AM

just thought id point an update to my situation and for those who have trouble in the future. there is a magnet built inside of the housing that im assuming (someone correct me if im wrong) allows the return fuel to enter the tank and stays open as long as the car is running.

for some reason the magnet was staying closed so we tapped it a few times with a small hammer and reinstalled the pump and hooked everything up and the car is fine now idling perfectly.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 10:33 AM

Thanks to everyone with their input on how this setup is working for them. This is something that is on my list of to do's!
Old Jan 30, 2012, 07:26 AM
Evolving Member

just wanted to add some input to this thread as i had questions before i installed mine. i cut mine the way i saw in AMS's thread. and put a clamp around the pump (not very tight though). I am just running the standard 255 kit. no hardwire. on stock fpr, and rails, and everythings working fine. make sure before you start cutting you put the seal and stuff on your old pump and push it all the way in so you can see how it feels when the pump is properly sealed. then cut it as close to the top tab as possible to make sure you dont go down farther than needed. then push pump in to where it locks in. I used the bigger filter that came with the 400. i've seen on someones thread where they used the smaller filter and they were able to retain the cap. i guess that would work too but it seems like more work and it makes more sense to use the brand new bigger filter vs an old filter that may be clogged up. if it locks in it's the same height as stock, and the clamp will keep it from sliding down and you wont have any issues. just my 2 pennies. currently tuning with tom. will let you know how much the fuel system will support when alls said and done.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 07:29 AM
Evolving Member

also one more thing. i dremeled the part of the pump that the "ring" and the seal go on. and then had to go down even farther because the ring wouldnt go on. i learned that you can easily cut it with a razor blade and it will be much less messy. and there will be less chance of the dust getting inside the pump. also be patient with putting the ring on. i tried to force mine on and i broke it.

Quick Reply: Walbro 400LPH Fuel Pump Modification