Notices
Evo How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

Walbro 400LPH Fuel Pump Modification

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2011, 10:12 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Walbro 400LPH Fuel Pump Modification

Parts needed:
  1. 10" Clamp
  2. Walboro 400LPH Pump
  3. Install Kit
  4. Wrench Set
  5. Dremel

First here is a close up of both pumps, you can see that they are almost identical in length, but width is where they differ.

So, it's not exactly a step, but prep work includes removing the fuel pump canister and draining it of gas. I'd hate for you to dremel the thing and gas flow constantly.

Just so you don't forget, salvage the black rubber gasket from your stock setup and put it on the new pump.

Now we are ready. You need to dremel the pump's cylindar so the wider base will fit. There are many arguments over what is best, above the first tabs, or under. I didn't want to take the risk, so I used the dremel to the bottom under the clips. Here is a photo:

Before we push the pump in, there's two steps I recommend. First, install the install harness.

Second, put the 10" clamp within the setup.

Now, you are ready to slide the pump in. Make sure you connect the harness to the top of the pump, and arrange the clamp so it is positioned in the middle of the pump.

Torque down the clamp to a moderate level. Not too tight, but tight enough so that the pump will not slip. Once torqued, I choose to weave the excess thread for visuals.

The pump should now be extremly sturdy, and will not slide.

Clip on the filter, and you care finished. Congrats, you have an amazing fuel setup for a cheap price.
FPR's and re-wire setups are not required, but are recommended.

Last edited by REV.olution; Oct 10, 2011 at 03:15 PM.
Old Oct 7, 2011, 10:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
thanks for the write up.... looks very good and easy im sure it does take time and maybe a bit of pain lol. but looks good nonthe less
Old Oct 10, 2011, 02:54 PM
Evolving Member

Upgraded, seal is perfect, no complaints.
Old Oct 15, 2011, 07:10 AM
Evolving Member

Looks easy, and prove's the point that many said couldn't be done... congrat !
Old Oct 15, 2011, 07:31 AM
Evolving Member

Why do you use such a large clamp?
Old Oct 15, 2011, 08:51 AM
drb
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
are you able to use the stock FPR with this fuel pump?
Old Oct 15, 2011, 09:26 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evolutionxtac
Why do you use such a large clamp?
I choose this clamp because I believed it would not only hold onto the pump well but provided a good barrier to protect pump slipping.

Originally Posted by drb
are you able to use the stock FPR with this fuel pump?
You probably can, I just had an aftermarket setup and thought it would be a better safety barrier. I can't promise you anything, you may have to ask an expert
Old Oct 17, 2011, 07:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Stock FPR is actually very good! I would like to hear it if anyone has problem with it on this pump.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 09:31 AM
Evolving Member

Yeah, I can't vouch for it cause I've always had my AEM FPR, I'm sure the stocker can hold up. Nevertheless, adjusting FPR on the fly is always a treat.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 08:45 PM
drb
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Ev0ikon
Stock FPR is actually very good! I would like to hear it if anyone has problem with it on this pump.
If there is a problem with the stock FPR with this pump it will likely be that the idle/low load fuel pressure will be too high. If thats the case it's going to make tuning difficult without an aftermarket adjustable FPR to reduce the fuel pressure.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 06:22 AM
Evolving Member

Just did mine last night, also did the rewire, while i don't have a fuel pressure gauge in i logged some of my fuel trims at cruise and idle and so far they seemed to remain the same at cruise and idle. (still using the stock fpr) I will let you know if anything changes this afternoon. I am also quite amazed on how quiet this thing operates, cant hear it whatsoever

Last edited by turbotekray; Oct 19, 2011 at 06:32 AM.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 07:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by turbotekray
Just did mine last night, also did the rewire, while i don't have a fuel pressure gauge in i logged some of my fuel trims at cruise and idle and so far they seemed to remain the same at cruise and idle. (still using the stock fpr) I will let you know if anything changes this afternoon. I am also quite amazed on how quiet this thing operates, cant hear it whatsoever
I got the same result. Only that right after I replaced the pump I found a cracked weld on my manifold so I didn't get to test. No idle problem to speak of. Will give it hell once I have my stuff welded back up.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 07:24 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Ev0ikon
I got the same result. Only that right after I replaced the pump I found a cracked weld on my manifold so I didn't get to test. No idle problem to speak of. Will give it hell once I have my stuff welded back up.
Good luck, please report back
Old Oct 19, 2011, 09:29 AM
drb
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by turbotekray
Thats great information, keep us informed. I just ordered the fuel pump and FPR yesterday but I probably won't use the FPR if I don't need to.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 10:27 PM

so any updates on the stock fpr and this pump?

Quick Reply: Walbro 400LPH Fuel Pump Modification