Notices
Evo How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

How to make cheap coil on plug setup

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2012, 06:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by psycko069
OK, so I have had a few minutes to do some research on this. According to Spoolin Up's website, they state that they use Denso Part Number P/N 90919-02240 which a quick google search reveals is from a 2007 Toyota Rav-4, among other vehicles. The Denso part number is 673-1307.. With all this information a quick search on the Advance Auto Parts website reveals this....

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_Direct-Ignition-Coil-Denso_10037315-P_4258_R|GRPTUNEAMS_____

Don't know if the link is going to work but the down and dirty is that the coils that SpoolinUp uses retail for 109.99... SO after purchasing four coils, you have paid out the equivalent of the SpoolinUp COP system, but you still need pigtails, wires, shrink tubing, and a plate to mount everything to.

Seems more like a whole lot of work and more money to achieve the same results. I am not saying that its pointless, if you use used coils, and different materials such as wire and mounting solutions. Honestly it doesn't seem cost efficient to me after some research..
http://www.toyotapartszone.com/oem/t...919-02240.html

dunno where you found a rav 4 using that coil. maybe there is but most of us seeing that coil being used on a yaris among a few others. and yes brand new they probably do cost 100 ish but most people doing this on here are buying used coils. and obviously used ones are cheaper. pigtails you can prob buy from junkyards or even spoolinup sells them. not sure if they still do.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 11:09 AM
Evolved Member

why to use yaris coils and not civic or s2k ?
Old Jan 14, 2012, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by stunt2
why to use yaris coils and not civic or s2k ?
he's stating what spoolinup uses in their cop system. well this has been discussed in the previous posts. maybe you should read it.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 10:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Just ordered my new SpoolinUp COP!!!
Old Jan 15, 2012, 09:36 PM
OG
Evolving Member

I fried my ECU trying to DIY this. I'll admit there might have been a short circuit because the wiring was kind of dodgy. I found out that the ECU might be fried after a lot of Googling, eventually I located a thread here where someone had the same problem (one coil not firing) and someone asked them if they had a COP kit. The guy had a SpoolinUp COP kit (no dodgy wiring) and his ECU also fried, it fried a while after he took the kit off though.

This leads me to suspect that people have had their ECUs fried/know about ECUs frying from COP kits?

I was using S2000 Denso coils like the OP BTW, not the Yaris ones.

Needless to say I didn't attempt to wire up the coils after the ECU frying incident.

This is the thread that helped me troubleshoot the issue: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/en...ot-firing.html

Last edited by OG; Jan 15, 2012 at 09:43 PM.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 05:39 AM
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by OG
I fried my ECU trying to DIY this. I'll admit there might have been a short circuit because the wiring was kind of dodgy. I found out that the ECU might be fried after a lot of Googling, eventually I located a thread here where someone had the same problem (one coil not firing) and someone asked them if they had a COP kit. The guy had a SpoolinUp COP kit (no dodgy wiring) and his ECU also fried, it fried a while after he took the kit off though.

This leads me to suspect that people have had their ECUs fried/know about ECUs frying from COP kits?

I was using S2000 Denso coils like the OP BTW, not the Yaris ones.

Needless to say I didn't attempt to wire up the coils after the ECU frying incident.

This is the thread that helped me troubleshoot the issue: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/en...ot-firing.html
Sorry to hear about your problem, when I made my kit accidentally switched the positive and signal cables from the computer in a pair of coils, after that no positive signal to one pair of coils. I was so shocked for a moment, then out of nowhere appeared again the signal and my setup works great now. I want to say to make this setup is very delicate to do. should be done by an electrician.

Yesterday I participated in a races in Volcan Panama, I'm running with my own COP setup, The most radical change I've seen is that I have about 25% more fuel economy.

Here is a video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJGipIpAFmk
Old Feb 1, 2012, 07:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Got mine built last night.I ordered the connecters from spoilinup went to a junkyard got some civic coils and pigtails.I cut a plate out of diamond plate.I found building the plate the hardest part of the whole thing.The car idles smoother and runs smoother between shifts.I like it. It also only costed me $115!
Old Feb 1, 2012, 08:00 PM

Here's a pic of my setup.
Name:  2012-02-01_18-50-41_675.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  112.8 KB
The following users liked this post:
Tommyfacekicker (Jun 24, 2019)
Old Feb 1, 2012, 08:28 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 95gst16g
Here's a pic of my setup.
That's something my brother would do. He lives in Oregon too.

Installing mine tomorrow, I hope.
Old Feb 1, 2012, 09:24 PM

What the hell is that supposed to mean!? Haha I thought the diamond plate would look sweet.besides I just had it laying around from when I made a sparkplug wire cover for my Dsm...lol
Old Feb 1, 2012, 10:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 95gst16g
What the hell is that supposed to mean!? Haha I thought the diamond plate would look sweet.besides I just had it laying around from when I made a sparkplug wire cover for my Dsm...lol
My brother is into trucks, Ford's, Cummins, etc. He welded up a crap load of diamond plated stuff including a flat bed for his truck. He keeps wanting to get a Evo and I can see him diamond plating stuff.

I think it's unique. It must be an Oregon thing
Old Feb 1, 2012, 10:58 PM
Evolved Member

I'm just going to steal my girlfriends coils.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 12:15 AM
Evolving Member

This has been one interesting thread & got me pretty excited about trying to do this mod on my car as well, until I got to the part about a few guys frying their ecu's! Looks like there is a bit of risk involved as well?? On the other hand, looks like a fair number of folks report great results too.. Regardless, it seems like a worthwhile mod!
Old Feb 2, 2012, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by WW-GSR
This has been one interesting thread & got me pretty excited about trying to do this mod on my car as well, until I got to the part about a few guys frying their ecu's! Looks like there is a bit of risk involved as well?? On the other hand, looks like a fair number of folks report great results too.. Regardless, it seems like a worthwhile mod!
I think someone could have messed up on the wiring...lol.I used civic coils it was easy the civic pigtail goes like this black+white stripe=positive. Black=ground,the other wire is random colors like yellow with green stripe,brown etc...that will be the signal.
Old Feb 5, 2012, 08:02 PM
Evolving Member

After reading this I got motivated enough to start ordering parts.

On Route:

06 RSX typse s denso coils $73
Denso pigtails from spoolinup $28
Coil connectors from spoolinup $14

I still need wire and from what I read I need 16 ga Tefzel but just want somebody to tell me I am correct before I order some. Also What should I use for shrink wrap?After it is all wired up I just need to make a plate and miscellaneous nuts and bolts I can get locally.

Quick Reply: How to make cheap coil on plug setup