Notices
Evo How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

How to Setup Tephramod V7

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2014, 02:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Awesome info!
Old Aug 9, 2014, 12:37 PM

Great info in here! I was skeptical about switch from my stock rom to V7, but this thread made it very simple. Took me a couple hours to copy maps and values over and then do a few 3rd gear logs. 306/300 on 93. 3 counts of knock from 3500-3800 so there's still a little work to be done. Thanks again to everyone who put in the time and effort to make this work smoothly!
Old May 29, 2015, 08:11 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
This was a help but there are a few suggested edits.

1) MUST you copy maps if you are stock and have not changes other than changing to one of the Tephra maps? After reading several threads I finally felt comfortable that the base files contain the stock maps.

2) MUST you do some logging of runs to adjust settings for knock etc? It is implied that the Tephra maps are at once fully validated and also not always going to work. Which is it? I think I need to do some 3rd gear pulls now and look for knock. Probably could just add a link to some good threads about this topic as say GO HERE AFTER LOADING tephramod ROM.

3) A few little links at the start to reference what hardware and software you need to get started.

Thanks alot for this. It helped me feel somewhat capable of my first flash!
The following users liked this post:
i8Godzilla (Oct 4, 2017)
Old May 29, 2015, 09:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Thanks mate, I will consider your advices when I'll have time to update the opening post
Old May 30, 2015, 11:52 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Also coming from zero knowledge about flashing, two topics seemed to be obvious to everyone but me.

"Just copy all the maps over from stock ROM to Tephra ROM"

I looked at ALL the sections of stock ROM and tried to find similar looking maps in the Tephra ROM. This proved to be very difficult. I still don't know what is included in "ALL" maps. For instance the stock ROM has Boost maps #1-#4 but the Tephra ROM has multiple big maps from what I can tell. Does stock ROM Boost #1 go into main boost column 1 or a different table or is this not one of the ALL maps? I still could use some clarification of what should be copied over. I did nothing.

"Just change the gears from 6MT to 5 speed"

I cannot find this toggle in the 94170015 ROM. So I read and read and as far as I can tell it is adjusted by changing a MPH/RPM to gear table settings. Not even sure if that was correct or if I need to do this or not. Does it matter? Only if using Boost per gear control? Is boost per gear control always on?
The following 2 users liked this post by detroit evo:
aqeelrizni (May 24, 2021), i8Godzilla (Oct 4, 2017)
Old Oct 13, 2015, 05:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
PSI Boost control problem

Boost control problems, specifically with correction. See attached log, and boost control settings. The correction level does not match the correction map, and once load error is positive the correction is still positive? Thoughts

Attached Files
Old Oct 14, 2015, 03:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
You're logging load error but referring to psi-based boost control, which are you using? If you're using psi-based boost control, you should be logging boost error instead.

That said, here's why correction can stay positive even after you reach (and maybe exceed) your target boost.

Say your target is 20psi. During spoolup, the ECU sees it's low when it reaches 17psi and adds 3% wgdc in an attempt to compensate. What it doesn't know is that you're not really below your target, it's just that you're still spooling up. You would've reached your target without that extra 3%.

Your turbo finishes spooling up, and because it has that extra WGDC, it overshoots your target. Let's say it reaches 21 psi. With a 1 psi overshoot, it pulls back 1% WGDC. Your overall correction is now +2%, and still positive, even though you're over your target boost. When the ECU checks the boost again, it might see you're at 20.5 now, so it'll take out .5 WGDC. This brings your overall correction to +1.5%.

In your log, we see WGDC correction shoot up to 9.5 instantly, then the ECU starts pulling it back when it sees it overshot your target load/psi. It goes down to 9, then 6.5, then 4. Even though it was still positive, the ECU was decreasing correction in response to boost being over your target.

Ways to avoid this are:

- Completely disable upward correction (the ECU can lower WGDC if you overshoot, and can add correction back in if needed to return to +0% overall correction, but will never exceed it). The advantage of this is that you will never have a spike just as spoolup finishes from the ECU thinking you're not reaching your target. Disadvantage is a possible loss of power if weather changes and your IAT comp table isn't perfect, and the ECU would've liked to add positive compensation to reach your target.

- Make upward correction very slow. This will minimize the spike during spoolup, while still allowing the ECU to have overall positive correction to reach your target if needed. On my car for example I think I only have +1% WGDC even at -3psi boost error.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 07:30 AM

Does anyone know of a good working link for the big map translator tool? I've done a bunch of searching and haven't come up with anything that works.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 10:15 PM
Evolving Member

I'm missing a couple of rom's, "Boost desired engine (Psi)","Boost Adder (psi)/(load)" and "boost error correction (PSI/LOAD). DOES ANYONE know where I can gets these rom files for 88590715? Thx
Old Sep 13, 2018, 03:42 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Thugline

I'm missing a couple of rom's, "Boost desired engine (Psi)","Boost Adder (psi)/(load)" and "boost error correction (PSI/LOAD). DOES ANYONE know where I can gets these rom files for 88590715? Thx

Missing exactly the same tables on V7 for rom 0715.

Boost desired engine (Psi)
Boost Adder (psi)/(load)
boost error correction (PSI/LOAD)

Anyone?
Old Mar 20, 2019, 05:56 PM

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Ta/Fc1383
Does anyone know of a good working link for the big map translator tool? I've done a bunch of searching and haven't come up with anything that works.
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ec...ml#post7597112
Old Jul 9, 2019, 11:09 AM

Having trouble reading the rom on my USDM Evo 9. I get an "unknown ROM" error when attempting to Read the rom in Ecuflash. My tuner said that the Tephra v7 xml is all I need, which I do have loaded into my rommmedata folder. I have ROM 94170015 on my Evo 8 and have no issues reading or flashing to the car.

Wondering if someone here might be able to offer some up some suggestions to get Ecuflash to read the tephra v7 xml so that I can get the ROM off of my Evo 9.

Let me know.

Thanks all!
Attached Files
File Type: xml
TephraMOD-88590715-v7.xml (12.1 KB, 0 views)
Old Jul 12, 2019, 02:17 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
Originally Posted by Wantthatevo123
Having trouble reading the rom on my USDM Evo 9. I get an "unknown ROM" error when attempting to Read the rom in Ecuflash. My tuner said that the Tephra v7 xml is all I need, which I do have loaded into my rommmedata folder. I have ROM 94170015 on my Evo 8 and have no issues reading or flashing to the car.

Wondering if someone here might be able to offer some up some suggestions to get Ecuflash to read the tephra v7 xml so that I can get the ROM off of my Evo 9.

Let me know.

Thanks all!
Did you go to the ECU Menu and change the vehicle to your IX?
The following users liked this post:
defibros (Jul 25, 2019)
Old Jul 16, 2019, 10:41 AM

Hey Biggie,
Yes, the vehicle type is set to Evo 9 MH83026F. Should I try one of these other vehicle types?
Old May 24, 2021, 07:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by detroit evo
Also coming from zero knowledge about flashing, two topics seemed to be obvious to everyone but me.

"Just copy all the maps over from stock ROM to Tephra ROM"

I looked at ALL the sections of stock ROM and tried to find similar looking maps in the Tephra ROM. This proved to be very difficult. I still don't know what is included in "ALL" maps. For instance the stock ROM has Boost maps #1-#4 but the Tephra ROM has multiple big maps from what I can tell. Does stock ROM Boost #1 go into main boost column 1 or a different table or is this not one of the ALL maps? I still could use some clarification of what should be copied over. I did nothing.

"Just change the gears from 6MT to 5 speed"

I cannot find this toggle in the 94170015 ROM. So I read and read and as far as I can tell it is adjusted by changing a MPH/RPM to gear table settings. Not even sure if that was correct or if I need to do this or not. Does it matter? Only if using Boost per gear control? Is boost per gear control always on?

Sorry for reviving this from the dead. Ive done my fair share of research and reading. Can someone kindly tell me what "all" tables mean. Ive done the fuel and timing translation. How do I do the others?

Quick Reply: How to Setup Tephramod V7