Notices
Evo How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

Simple 6 pot brake setup

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2014, 05:26 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Simple 6 pot brake setup

I have only seen one other CT9A chassis evo equipped with similar brakes but his documentation was so secretive and vague no one caught on. I have been wanting these brakes for quite some time and was jealous of my audi buddies who had been doing this swap for years. Well now, I finally have them. Porsche Cayenne 6 piston calipers!
Size comparo.
Name:  brakecomparo.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  83.5 KB

Went ahead and had them coated to match the wheels. They aren't an exact match but will do until I decide on which color to change up to.
Name:  6potspc.jpg
Size:  190.5 KB
Name:  6potssize.jpg
Size:  88.9 KB
Name:  6pots2-1.jpg
Size:  80.9 KB
Name:  6pots1-1.jpg
Size:  85.4 KB
Name:  6pots3-1.jpg
Size:  83.6 KB
Old Mar 3, 2014, 05:34 AM

Do they bolt right on? They look great!
Old Mar 3, 2014, 06:14 AM
Evolving Member

I did a ton of research on these calipers and there are quite a few vehicles that utilize these calipers in particular. The Audi Q7, VW Touareg, and the Porsche Cayenne all use the 17z series calipers as long as you choose the right years. More to come on that data. For now lets take a look at how relatively easy it was to make these work.

I decided to rebuild mine because the pistons were removed along with the dust and oil seals for powder coating. Very easy to do as well and are the same procedures for our stock brakes. Since I have the 17z calipers I chose the rebuild kit from rockauto.com for the 05 touareg with the 330mm rotor option. Make sure you get a good picture of the kit before ordering because VW decided to change the front brakes of its Touareg's after 07 to four piston calipers.

Here's a look at how close the mounting hole position is between the two. It's obvious that it's not an exact match but some simple home tools can fix that.
Name:  20140225_231328.jpg
Size:  120.6 KB
Using the dust shield as a template
Name:  20140225_231730.jpg
Size:  120.1 KB

On the hub, no irreversible mods need to be made. One just has to get the casting to accept the bigger mounting ears of the Porsche calipers. Do not mod the hub to the point of no return while getting the caliper centered on the rotor. Instead shave the caliper's mounting ears. Here is where I shaved the hub casting around the mounting tabs without messing with the tabs themselves. This is especially important as if one would ever need to go back to stock no changes have been made to the oem fitment of the stock calipers.
Name:  20140225_231453.jpg
Size:  140.9 KB

On the mounting ears of the caliper I shaved down the inside of the tab about 1/8" in order for the calipers to sit center on the rotor.

I used a coarse drill bit and a step drill to move the opening of the mounting holes on the caliper to match that of the evo's hub. Not much material has to be removed as you can see here. (I marked the material to be removed with a permanent marker)
Name:  20140225_232116.jpg
Size:  108.3 KB
Old Mar 3, 2014, 06:21 AM

Looks great!
Old Mar 3, 2014, 06:22 AM
Evolving Member

Before modding the caliper it looks like a lot of modding needs to be done but this is with one bolt going through the caliper holding it up. If you elongate both holes you have your fitment rather easily.
Name:  20140225_231058.jpg
Size:  108.7 KB

This is the reason you want to shave the inside portion of the mounting tabs. The part of the tab that is touching the hub ear is where no more than 1/8" needs to be removed.
Name:  20140225_224733.jpg
Size:  65.4 KB

Be sure that when you are test fitting the caliper that you have some lugs on the brakes are on to center the rotor. Here is about my finished product. I will have more pics in the following days.
Name:  20140225_224637.jpg
Size:  103.5 KB
Name:  20140223_231933.jpg
Size:  63.8 KB
Name:  20140223_231645.jpg
Size:  85.1 KB
Old Mar 3, 2014, 06:26 AM
Evolving Member

I will note that most may have to run a pretty good spacer. I got lucky because I have 10.5 wide wheels with a 15mm offset. That being said, I have a TON of room between the caliper and the spokes still. I have a set of Varrstoen ES2.2.1 in 18x10.5 +12 offset that will be used for the street that I am putting on soon so it will be interesting to see how they fit with these new brakes.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 06:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thats pretty cool. How much do those calipers cost from a yard or something? Let us know how they feel compared to stock.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 06:58 AM
Evolving Member

Does the master cylinder piston diameter of the donor car match the Evo's?
Old Mar 3, 2014, 07:29 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Are you using stock sized rotors? Can the new calipers accommodate a larger rotor?

Thanks for sharing!
Old Mar 3, 2014, 08:49 AM

Those look great.

Is there a specific year they need to come from?
Old Mar 3, 2014, 09:47 AM
Evolving Member

Very cool mod. In for results!
Old Mar 3, 2014, 10:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
So. Is the whole assembly held together by two elongated holes?
Old Mar 3, 2014, 10:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This is awesome! Nice work.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 10:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
Very cool but this concerns me...

Originally Posted by Ev0ikon
So. Is the whole assembly held together by two elongated holes?
Also, aside from the "cool" factor what is the point to this? Are you also fitting larger rotors?

And what about options for brake pads? The vehicles that you mentioned are all SUV's so I wonder if there are any performance oriented pads available for them?

No negativity here, simply trying to understand your goals for this project
Old Mar 3, 2014, 11:06 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the support and kind words. There are a bunch of good questions and concerns that come with an experimental brake setup. I will have much more data in the following days as I test them out and see what works and what overall behavior changes the car has. The only thing that is slowing me down happens to be the weather as of late. The roads here in Missouri haven't been the friendliest for the past few days because of the ice and cold weather.

-As far as them bolting right up, not so much, but they are incredibly close. As I showed, it takes very little to mod these calipers to fit.

-As far as their cost, you would not believe what I paid for these things. Seriously if this were a kit it would put most BBK's out of reach and put this in most evo owner's hands with one paycheck or less. I paid $275 shipped for both calipers and turned around and had them coated as well for less than $120. That plus the $20 in hardware I'd say they are a steal at only $415 or so.

-Concerning the size difference between the two vehicles' master cylinder bores, the touareg has a 27mm bore master cylinder which is a bit more than the evo's but the applied pressure from the cylinder down to the calipers is actually considerably more once the brakes are installed on an evo. A couple of reasons why are the amount of line comparative and the fact that the touareg has a different brake bias than the evo and the weight transfer factored into the design and placement of the brakes comes into play also. With that being said, as long as the brakes are bled well, the applied force from our master cylinder to the 17z calipers ends up not changing much from stock. That ends up not causing a hard pedal feel all the time and brakes that aren't touchy. What I did find was that the amount of brake force from these calipers ends up increasing over stock by quite a bit.

-Currently I am using my APM J slot rotors which are stock sized but are reverse mounted and curve vaned. Meaning they cooled a lot better than the StopTech slotted rotors and they can be used with these big *** calipers. Since they also measure about the same size as the 17in option caliper for the touareg 330mmx 32mm rotor the caliper fits on these with virtually no issues.

-The calipers can accommodate a larger rotor but I would recommend getting the 18z caliper in that case because they can take up to a 360mm rotor.

-The early v6 and v8 powered touareg's had these 17z calipers but I wouldn't search for any years past 05 because VW changed the caliper to the 4piston version for all models. All of the cayenne's have the 6piston calipers but you can usually find the touareg calipers for much less seeing as they aren't factory coated and don't say porsche on them. lol

-As far as the mounting question goes and the two elongated holes being of concern, if you take a look at the mounting ear on the caliper you can see just how much more material there is compared to the evo caliper. By the time you are done elongating the holes on the caliper to fit our hubs you have about the same amount of material left over as the evo caliper does. Grab the applicable hardware and you will be good to go.

Quick Reply: Simple 6 pot brake setup