Notices
Evo How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

How-To: Super Fantastic JDM HVAC Swap

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2016, 04:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
No. That connects the servo motors and a sensor or two. The plugs for the AC ECU are on the dash harness
Old Dec 4, 2016, 05:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After reading this and searching the parts (also cross referencing them) it sounds like most of these can be found in the 06 Outlander SE? We could obviously buy the parts new but if we happen to luck out and find one of these unicorns at the junk yard, it should all bolt right up, right? We'd just need the evo control assembly?
Old Dec 4, 2016, 08:10 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
Originally Posted by LancerSRT4
After reading this and searching the parts (also cross referencing them) it sounds like most of these can be found in the 06 Outlander SE? We could obviously buy the parts new but if we happen to luck out and find one of these unicorns at the junk yard, it should all bolt right up, right? We'd just need the evo control assembly?
Yah the 06 Outlander SE would make for a great donor car, but I had no luck finding one. You can order the servo motors from Mitsubishi in the U.S. but they wont come with the metal mounting brackets you need.
The following users liked this post:
LancerSRT4 (Dec 7, 2016)
Old Dec 4, 2016, 09:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I found out the hard way on the mounting brackets.
LancerSRT4 (Dec 7, 2016)
Old Dec 5, 2016, 11:03 AM
Evolved Member

Yes, a 2006 Outlander SE (maybe it's Limited? I can't remember) will have all the parts needed, but I've yet to find any on eBay or at a junkyard.

The easiest method to sourcing these is definitely from Germany or somewhere similar that has LHD cars. I bought a few parts and had them shipped to a military friend stationed in Germany and he mailed them to me, shipping for things was like $20 instead of $80-100 that it would have otherwise been. And he was able to verify parts before mailing them back so they could be returned if need-be.

Far-and-away the hardest parts to find are the servo motors, the attached metal brackets, and the control arms that attach from the motor to the airbox. If you're lucky and have friends who can go to wrecking yards, definitely do that. The blower motor is fairly easy to find on ebay, as are the temperature sensors and all that.

I spent about 3 years in total gathering all the parts before I was finally ready to rip my car apart, then I had to rip it apart again because I wired something wrong because I was an idiot. No clue on what I spent, probably about $500 total on everything but a chunk of that were from a RHD car that I never ended up using...oh well. All-in-all for actual parts needed I spent maybe $300. Totally worth it now that I'm done, but finding all the parts was a HUGE pain in the ***

There's a reason I'm probably one of the only people in the US to have this...haha. Most of that reason is dedication to finishing it and being unique, the other is wanting to share the knowledge for others
LancerSRT4 (Dec 7, 2016)
Old Dec 7, 2016, 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by llDemonll
Yes, a 2006 Outlander SE (maybe it's Limited? I can't remember) will have all the parts needed, but I've yet to find any on eBay or at a junkyard.

The easiest method to sourcing these is definitely from Germany or somewhere similar that has LHD cars. I bought a few parts and had them shipped to a military friend stationed in Germany and he mailed them to me, shipping for things was like $20 instead of $80-100 that it would have otherwise been. And he was able to verify parts before mailing them back so they could be returned if need-be.

Far-and-away the hardest parts to find are the servo motors, the attached metal brackets, and the control arms that attach from the motor to the airbox. If you're lucky and have friends who can go to wrecking yards, definitely do that. The blower motor is fairly easy to find on ebay, as are the temperature sensors and all that.

I spent about 3 years in total gathering all the parts before I was finally ready to rip my car apart, then I had to rip it apart again because I wired something wrong because I was an idiot. No clue on what I spent, probably about $500 total on everything but a chunk of that were from a RHD car that I never ended up using...oh well. All-in-all for actual parts needed I spent maybe $300. Totally worth it now that I'm done, but finding all the parts was a HUGE pain in the ***

There's a reason I'm probably one of the only people in the US to have this...haha. Most of that reason is dedication to finishing it and being unique, the other is wanting to share the knowledge for others

Thats awesome.

Whats funny is i'm doing this SAME project in my 98 Mirage. I'm in the process of converting it over to an evo body/interior and custom motor. I want the climate control as well, I just tore the dash apart and theres nowhere to mount the servos.... LUCKILY the USDM Diamante has auto climate control and the heater box fits in the mirage. Only the servo on the blower box needs to be fabricated. The dash Wires are spliced instead of replacing the pins. It's a PITA but it can be done in about a day or so if I stick to what I need to do. All the sensors and the resistor pack swaps over from the diamante as well.

whats awesome about the evo project IS the fact that we can mount the servos with no issues. It's worth it, to me just as it is to you. Heck im just glad that we can just order the parts that we need and that they cross reference with the outlander...but If I can find a unicorn Limited 06 outlander, I'd gladly buy one gut it like a fish... I need it's motor for my mirage build anyway

Questions:

Do you know if the USDM Galants with auto climate use the same parts? I see those in the junk yard all the time. I found out that the 06 outlander AC ECU and the 2008 outlander also uses the same ECU. I wonder if they use the same servos and rods!? this may be worth looking into! The Ambient Air Sensor, Daylight Sensor, and Water Temp Sensor are the same part numbers used in the diamante and Galant! Score! I can scavenge those from a junk yard easily!

Where did you guys get the rods (is it one rod or 2?) if they weren't included with the servos and theres no part number for them? I found the servos and the ac ECU for under $200 for everything. I highly doubt that they'll be coming with the rods. also if I *do* end up ordering the servos and they don't come with mounting brackets, is there any way to get the brackets separately?

thanks in advance, guys. I'm gonna make this happen... for both cars >=}

Last edited by LancerSRT4; Dec 7, 2016 at 04:40 AM.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 08:28 AM

If you order the servos from Mitsubishi they come with the rod, but they don't come with the bracket. The bracket has no part number and cannot be sourced the MMNA as far as I know. I was looking to try and have some made on a water jet, but i became....distracted
LancerSRT4 (Dec 8, 2016)
Old Dec 7, 2016, 09:14 AM
Evolved Member

Do you know if the USDM Galants with auto climate use the same parts? I see those in the junk yard all the time. I found out that the 06 outlander AC ECU and the 2008 outlander also uses the same ECU. I wonder if they use the same servos and rods!? this may be worth looking into! The Ambient Air Sensor, Daylight Sensor, and Water Temp Sensor are the same part numbers used in the diamante and Galant! Score! I can scavenge those from a junk yard easily!
for the galant, no. they AC ECU looks the same but based on the design on the dash I'm going to say that they are not compatible at all. the sensors might be, but not the servo motors

The servos and rods depend on the airbox itself. if the airbox is the exact same then i would venture a guess that the servos would be the same. looking at google, no they won't fit. 2008 outlander looks to share an interior with the evo x's. the only part i know is compatible from that is the heater water sensor

Where did you guys get the rods (is it one rod or 2?) if they weren't included with the servos and theres no part number for them? I found the servos and the ac ECU for under $200 for everything. I highly doubt that they'll be coming with the rods. also if I *do* end up ordering the servos and they don't come with mounting brackets, is there any way to get the brackets separately?
mounting brackets are not a separate part number, neither are the connecting rods. these are supposed to be included pieces with the servo motors. i wouldn't bother ordering the servo motors unless you can verify that they include at least the mounting brackets

the connecting rods are a fairly standard connecting rod, lots of cars use the same style. this doesn't mean they use the same rod, but the same style. I had a few short rods (heater temp and air mode use different lengths) and i had an extra stock that was the same size; i had someone at work cut the short rod and weld in an extension of necessary length to extend the rod to the length that i needed
Old Dec 8, 2016, 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by Biggiesacks
I was looking to try and have some made on a water jet, but i became....distracted
story of my life. Which is why this probably wont be done until next summer lol

for the galant, no. they AC ECU looks the same but based on the design on the dash I'm going to say that they are not compatible at all. the sensors might be, but not the servo motors

The servos and rods depend on the airbox itself. if the airbox is the exact same then i would venture a guess that the servos would be the same. looking at google, no they won't fit. 2008 outlander looks to share an interior with the evo x's. the only part i know is compatible from that is the heater water sensor

mounting brackets are not a separate part number, neither are the connecting rods. these are supposed to be included pieces with the servo motors. i wouldn't bother ordering the servo motors unless you can verify that they include at least the mounting brackets

the connecting rods are a fairly standard connecting rod, lots of cars use the same style. this doesn't mean they use the same rod, but the same style. I had a few short rods (heater temp and air mode use different lengths) and i had an extra stock that was the same size; i had someone at work cut the short rod and weld in an extension of necessary length to extend the rod to the length that i needed
ah I see, Gotcha. Would I be able to make a bracket do you think? It looks like it's just a sheet of metal. I have a friend that fabricates. It shouldn't be too hard to just line it up with the screw holes... or at least i'm assuming.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 08:06 AM
Evolved Member

Here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/nkok1x3hue...ounts.pdf?dl=0

I had these from a while back while talking to Biggiesacks; before I put them in my car he'd asked about some measurements so that he could mock up his own. They're not perfect, but they should get you the basics well enough
LancerSRT4 (Dec 22, 2016)
Old Dec 20, 2016, 02:55 PM

To those that did this;

what did it cost?

and how long did it take you?

I am tired of not having any heater control due to wanting a double din stereo and have wanted to do this but it looks seriously daunting. Basically the whole dash has to come out right?
Old Dec 20, 2016, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by Daily Nate
To those that did this;

what did it cost?

and how long did it take you?

I am tired of not having any heater control due to wanting a double din stereo and have wanted to do this but it looks seriously daunting. Basically the whole dash has to come out right?
Not the answer to your question, but reading into what you are trying to accomplish, this http://www.metraonline.com/part/95-7017B would be what i would recommend you look into vs attempting to get this JDM conversion. You kind of need to really want to do this conversion specifically because you want the JDM electronic controls, not because you want a double din. While being able to install a double din would be a nice side effect of this project, its really alot more work then is necessary to accomplish that.
Old Dec 21, 2016, 07:20 AM
Evolved Member

I spent about 3 years on-and-off collecting parts. it wasn't until maybe the last 6 months before i completed the project that i really pushed hard to find the parts i needed. for example though, i spent about 4 months at one point looking for the genuine push-rods for the air mode control motor instead of modifying ones that i had and extending them by welding in an extension section. so in reality, maybe 6 months from the time i really started trying to find all the LHD parts i needed until i was completely done and had it 100% working (including scheduling a weekend in there where i wasn't busy and could rip apart the dash, and then another weekend about a month later when i had to pull the dash again because i'd messed up a section of wiring)

if you have connections in germany or sweden or any LHD part of the world where auto climate control was sold, the project is super easy

the wiring isn't that hard, but yes the dash has to come out. the blower motor needs to come out as well, but the center section with the heater core does not need to be removed or replaced as the US cars have all the necessary mounts already for the auto control parts and pieces

I think i posted somewhere else, but i spent about $700 on this total, however $300 or more of that turned out not necessary as I found out RHD parts won't work at all (makes complete sense in hindsight). if you look and hunt i'd say you can easily do the project for $400 or less, you've just gotta be a bit patient. by far the easily method would be fine a wrecked car overseas and work with them to get all the parts and pieces needed. if you do end up doing this, i can help make sure you've got all the parts gathered
Old Dec 22, 2016, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by Biggiesacks
Not the answer to your question, but reading into what you are trying to accomplish, this http://www.metraonline.com/part/95-7017B would be what i would recommend you look into vs attempting to get this JDM conversion. You kind of need to really want to do this conversion specifically because you want the JDM electronic controls, not because you want a double din. While being able to install a double din would be a nice side effect of this project, its really alot more work then is necessary to accomplish that.
I've got that, the relocation and all.

But the heater control does not work like it should because the angle that the relocation puts it at. It can't go extreme hot or extreme cold and really can't do much in between. When it gets warm I usually just reach down to the gears and move them myself to the ac, and then move them to hot when it gets cold.

So I have been trying to find a fix to that problem for a bit here, and have come up with nothing.
Old Dec 22, 2016, 07:51 PM

but the center section with the heater core does not need to be removed or replaced as the US cars have all the necessary mounts already for the auto control parts and pieces
This alone is a major godsend. You guys have no idea how easy this makes it. for the mirage, you have to jimmy rig (cut holes into the firewall and move the brake lines) the diamante heater box in OR find a way to mount the servos on the mirage box which is also somewhat impossible. the fact that we can use all the boxes that we already HAVE is the biggest win ever. I can't wait until I find all the parts I need.

I'm actually thinking of trying to find a 2006 limited outlander for sale. I need it's motor for my engine swap in the mirage and now i needs it's internal HVAC for the evo xD

This project is about 40% easier than doing this on the USDM Mirages.

Quick Reply: How-To: Super Fantastic JDM HVAC Swap