Notices
Evo How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

yellowed headlamp

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2017, 12:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
Yeah I've seen stuff like that at Autozone but most of those are permanent solutions. They have fillers in them like silicone but no actual long term sealer to them. So its basically like applying a layer of wax or sealant to paint vs a clearcoat with a catalyst/ hardener which is IMO is the only true way to seal them.
Old May 18, 2017, 12:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ronaldo9
In my experience the over the counter restoration kits worked well but would always turn yellow again after a few months until I bought a lens sealer. Now just a quick polish and reseal every month or two and the lens stays clear.
Originally Posted by heel2toe
^This was my assumption as well. In theory there is some sort of UV blocker/ coating on the lens from the factory so youd think when you go to buff them out that needs to be built back up again.

What are you using to reseal the lens? I have no experience when it comes to this but is there some sort of spray on permanent coating like a clear coat such that they dont need to be resealed every month?
There are a few reasons it will come back. It isn't the over the counter products fault, it is the assumption that it's now fixed and you don't need to upkeep it. When you remove the oxidized layer you are actually removing the UV protection from the headlights. So not only will the oxidized layer come back, it will actually appear faster than before. You either have to upkeep it by keeping waxed/sealed or (what I would do) and coat the headlight with Optimum Opti-lens or IGL Headlight. I am a detailer and do a lot of paint correction and coatings.
Old May 18, 2017, 01:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Thanks for this feedback. I've always found it difficult to find a product that actually works or perhaps people do not like to offer that information. I will definitely look to purchase the Opti-lens.
Old May 18, 2017, 01:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ronaldo9
Thanks for this feedback. I've always found it difficult to find a product that actually works or perhaps people do not like to offer that information. I will definitely look to purchase the Opti-lens.
Anytime buddy . Some people can be stingy with their info. Not me, I enjoy helping others. If you buy some and have any questions about the install feel free to ask. I will gladly help you out the best I can.
The following users liked this post:
ronaldo9 (May 18, 2017)