Notices
Evo How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

How To Replace Timing Belt - Mitsubishi Evo 8 [video]

Old Apr 14, 2017, 06:46 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 221 Likes on 131 Posts
How To Replace Timing Belt - Mitsubishi Evo 8 [video]

I spent a very long time creating this video, hope you find it helpful!

Please read up the balance shaft issue here before watching:
https://www.jackstransmissions.com/p...balance-shafts

Clarification on setting the front balance shaft.

Last edited by DontStopMe; Feb 14, 2018 at 01:56 PM.
The following 9 users liked this post by DontStopMe:
barneyb (Apr 18, 2017), DecBro (Apr 14, 2017), dookgvr4 (Apr 26, 2017), dr_latino999 (Apr 14, 2017), Evoguy!123 (May 7, 2020), MinusPrevious (Apr 14, 2017), SoSoEVO (Dec 2, 2019), strang3majik (Feb 20, 2019), uzumaki (Apr 15, 2017) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old Apr 14, 2017, 07:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Thank you very much for this video!
The following users liked this post:
DontStopMe (Apr 14, 2017)
Old Apr 14, 2017, 08:14 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Such a detailed video, thank you! After the previous thread on HOW TO timing belt lost all its pictures, this will be very helpful for a lot of people.

Nice work!
Old Apr 14, 2017, 10:38 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by DecBro
Such a detailed video, thank you! After the previous thread on HOW TO timing belt lost all its pictures, this will be very helpful for a lot of people.

Nice work!
Glad to help! Hope this video keeps more 4g63's alive!
Old Apr 14, 2017, 10:46 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Thanks for posting this Paul

Im just about due for my 60K service

This is a great Vid for our EvOM members

Thanks again, Joe
Old Apr 15, 2017, 12:36 AM
Evolving Member

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
Thanks very much Paul.
I'm already subscribed to your YouTube channel so i was excited to see a notification earlier today about this new video. Keen to watch it.
And you're on IG too. Cool.

& finally to quote you from one of your early videos: "I LOVE THIS CAR"
DontStopMe (Apr 17, 2017)
Old Apr 18, 2017, 04:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
There's always a critic so here goes....

You want the tensioner pulley adjusted to where the grenade pin is loose in the tensioner. When you did the tensioner pulley adjustment on the fly I saw the grenade pin rotate so it was loose. You did it right but maybe by accident or maybe you just know what you are doing - dunno.

A loose grenade pin provides maximum travel from the tensioner. Setting the tensioner with too much plunger protrusion and having the belt become loose before the next service interval would not be good.
DontStopMe (Apr 18, 2017)
Old Apr 18, 2017, 04:54 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by barneyb
There's always a critic so here goes....

You want the tensioner pulley adjusted to where the grenade pin is loose in the tensioner. When you did the tensioner pulley adjustment on the fly I saw the grenade pin rotate so it was loose. You did it right but maybe by accident or maybe you just know what you are doing - dunno.

A loose grenade pin provides maximum travel from the tensioner. Setting the tensioner with too much plunger protrusion and having the belt become loose before the next service interval would not be good.
Appreciate the comment. I probably should have mentioned that in the voice over, but believe me, after spending a good 10 hours making a video, sometime you just want it done. I was basically told what you said, that the grenade pin should move freely once you set the tension. I don't even know anymore if that clip of me i show setting the tension in the video was actually the last time i did it.

This is also why i say in the video to "correct me if i'm wrong" and to do your own research.

Side question for you, now that its had time to settle, the grenade pin is no longer easy to remove/insert since the plunger pushed in a small bit. I assume this is normal and just the auto tensioner doing its job?

Last edited by DontStopMe; Apr 19, 2017 at 05:32 PM.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 10:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DontStopMe

Side question for you, now that its had time to settle, the grenade pin is no longer easy to remove/insert since the plunger pushed out a small bit. I assume this is normal and just the auto tensioner doing its job?
When I did mine, as you say, let it settle, I left it overnight. Next morning the grenade pin was tight and I set it again. But I think this is just being ****. Any shop mechanic is going to shove it out the door with little wait for things to settle.

The DSM manual for the same engine had you measuring the protrusion of the tensioner pin. Doing this from under the car was difficult. I actually made two gauges. If one fit between the tensioner arm and the tensioner body, it was too loose. If the other didn't fit it was too tight. When people started pointing out that getting the pin to be a loose fit accomplished the same thing no one was unhappy.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 10:02 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
And bookmarking this too. Great videos man. Is there a way we can follow certain people on this forum so we see their new posts, kind of like with Facebook? OP would be someone I'd follow if that was possible on here!
Old Apr 18, 2017, 10:28 PM
Evolved Member

And I should say, otherwise a very excellent video. You might just stick on a pointer drawing attention to the fact the grenade pin becomes loose when the belt is properly tensioned and then perfect.

The b-belt is of some concern to me. I found my factory b-belt sloppy loose at the 60K service interval. I thought I'd tensioned its replacement a little on the tight side due to this finding. I went in and retensioned the b-belt at 90K, I was hearing a noise and it was rather loose again. So I've been suggesting people revisit the b-belt 30K after installation. It really needs some sort of spring loaded tensioner.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 04:07 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by paul4x4
And bookmarking this too. Great videos man. Is there a way we can follow certain people on this forum so we see their new posts, kind of like with Facebook? OP would be someone I'd follow if that was possible on here!
Thanks! Your best bet is to subscribe on YouTube. (http://youtube.com/c/BoostedFilms)

Even if you don't use youtube much, you can find my channel easier if you are subbed.

I have an entire playlist of how-to videos:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...9-e3yLzVe9kjPI
Old Apr 19, 2017, 04:13 AM
EvoM Guru

When I did mine, as you say, let it settle, I left it overnight. Next morning the grenade pin was tight and I set it again. But I think this is just being ****. Any shop mechanic is going to shove it out the door with little wait for things to settle.

The DSM manual for the same engine had you measuring the protrusion of the tensioner pin. Doing this from under the car was difficult. I actually made two gauges. If one fit between the tensioner arm and the tensioner body, it was too loose. If the other didn't fit it was too tight. When people started pointing out that getting the pin to be a loose fit accomplished the same thing no one was unhappy.

And I should say, otherwise a very excellent video. You might just stick on a pointer drawing attention to the fact the grenade pin becomes loose when the belt is properly tensioned and then perfect.
Thanks for the reply. I added some text to the video description for clarification.

A
The b-belt is of some concern to me. I found my factory b-belt sloppy loose at the 60K service interval. I thought I'd tensioned its replacement a little on the tight side due to this finding. I went in and retensioned the b-belt at 90K, I was hearing a noise and it was rather loose again. So I've been suggesting people revisit the b-belt 30K after installation. It really needs some sort of spring loaded tensioner.
Sounds like all the more reason to remove it entirely. Have you ever ran without it?
Old Apr 19, 2017, 03:51 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DontStopMe
Sounds like all the more reason to remove it entirely. Have you ever ran without it?
No, I haven't. But, I have a belt change coming in the near future. I'd be interested in learning what difference you detect running without the b-belt.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 11:54 AM
Evolved Member

Incar, since the right motor mount (the one on the engine) needs to come off, place a jack under the pan to support the engine. Use a plank between the jack and the pan to avoid denting the pan. Once the motor mount is off, the accessory belt idler can be removed by lowering the jack a little. To remove the water pump pulley use a strap wrench. To remove the timing belt idler pulley remove the power steering pump first.
DontStopMe (Apr 23, 2017)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How To Replace Timing Belt - Mitsubishi Evo 8 [video]