Notices
Evo How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

How to tsx projector retrofit

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2013, 09:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How to tsx projector retrofit

Okay well folks I have always wanted to know how to retrofit my headlights I asked around but nooone wasn't really that much help. I checked around on hidplanet and they are helpful for what I had to do now lets get down to business.

I hope with the approval from everyone on here including the moderators would oblige to authorize this post for many others to learn as I went through to help bring this project to you to help make it easier for others to try this.

Now with stock projectors on the evolution 8 or 9 they unfortunately do not put out that much light output. This would definitely raise concern with issues with safety for someone not to see you. I don't understand how Mitsubishi to overlook this on such a good car.

Here are some of this tools and parts you will need to complete your task:

2x oem tsx headlight projectors from the retrofitsource.com $200 with clear lenses

1x 3Mribbon sealer from autozone $10 bucks works well you will need this to seal up your headlights
4x#6 washers The home depot

flat washers #10 part number 030699324811

#8 18-8 lock washers medium split part number 030699325917

4x 8/32 x 1.5 bolts they also come with the nuts at the ends too make sure to fit these up with crush lock washers to make sure the projectors wont come loose while you drive you know.

You will also need 1 power drill with titanium bits from Ryobi for the least resistance 3/16 in size. this will be used to modify the projector fitting it with 2 extra holes to line up the projector to cross fit it to oem specifications. You can find that in the tool section.

8x 2 inch spring clamps to hold the headlight together as you will need it to hold the headlights in place to prevent them from coming apart part number 573-682 as the 3m window ribbon sealer along with the oem sealant cools off sealing the headlights so that there is no condensation you don't need that.

okay now lets start by removing your from bumper lets start off by parking the car on even ground and pull the e-brake up. No need to jack the car unless your lowered you will need some hex keys and 8mm wratchet wrench under the fender to separate the bumper. It should look like this:

After unbolting the headlights they should have about 4 bolts holding the headlight to the chasis. Then you lift and pull then from there you take the headlights very gently and disconnect the bulbs from the housing its simple.

once your done taking out the bulbs and plugs they should look like this<br />

Once you are done it should look like this
Now keep in mind when you have your headlights in the oven you have to be careful that you don't burn them up. So as a precautionary safety measure you will need some extras for the bake session of your headlights. First you will need one small frying plate and you will need some cardboard....yes cardboard to make sure that you don't nuke your headlights. Now since the metal is hotter than the plastic it will melt it the cardboard works as a cushion for heat for the duration of the bake session.

The time to put your headlights in the oven should be 220 degrees or 130 fahrenheight for 15 minutes but you must preheat it for 5 minutes first for a total of 20 minutes. Warning you will need oven mits to make sure sure you don't burn your hands since the glass gets extra hot.<br />

Now when dealing with your headlights you want to carefully pry your headlights apart you will feel the headlights getting loose that's good. Now if you feel that the glue has cooled on the headlights after heating them up put them in the oven again for another 5 minutes.<br />

After opening up your headlights you want to carefully remove them with caution since the plastic shields in front which is the center section behind the glass before you get to the housing when you are prying them apart so be very careful with the screwdriver folks. Okay here are some pics after prying the headlight apart.

stock oem projectors opened

Stock oem projectors still in the housing
Removal of oem projector:
Okay first off let me explain more about the oem projectors are a problem to get off with the screws. So I ended up dremeling mine off with the dremel reinforced fiber wheel should cost 5 to 6 bucks from the homedepot. Dremel to screws off that are on the projector but be careful not to damage the brackets since you will need them to put on your oem tsx projectors with clear lenses.

Here is the bracket with the oem projector

this is the projector removed from the housing

Now with your tsx projector take the original oem brackets and line them up you will be using the top holes of the projector. Then you have to drill through the bracket lining up with the projector drilling through that making holes for it so that it looks stock like so:

Now with the oem projectors they don't quite line up with the shroud reflector in the picture seen here so I had to line up the projector giving it enough clearance to make room shown here. I had to shave very close to the bolt to make it work and it did seen here:

Now remember the projector when holstered up you have to have the bolt go through and its 1 lock washer to the back of that with a washer and to the end where the brackets hold it up you want 1 washer front and back with 1 lock washer front and back locking them in place with the nut.

Should look like this when its done
testing the beam out for precision put two washers at the bottom if you would like to color-mod your projector any more than two you wont get that crisp cut off
Its too bright to catch it on camera

Now when when putting out the butyl sealant on you can thin it out some since you still have sealant on there don't put down too much since it will overflow out the top when the headlights are clamped together using the 2 inch clamps I mentioned earlier remember to put these on after rebaking them back in the oven at 220 degrees for 7 minutes then put the clamps on: Set them in place like so

When your tsx projectors fog up don't panic just let it cool and it will clear up. Installation is reverse of removal. Enjoy! if you need me to do tis for you I offer my services just pm me
two more pics added

for some odd reason as sharp as it is the camera is not picking it up well enough. Perhaps I should do video of it too.

im going to get more by tonite.

Well sorry for the late reply here are some more pics again my phone is not the best.

my hids are 6000k's

Last edited by impact blue; Sep 5, 2013 at 07:26 AM. Reason: had to clean up the thread
The following users liked this post:
0RBon (Oct 9, 2016)
Old Sep 3, 2013, 09:41 AM
Evolved Member

let me know guys pm me if your looking for a retrofit on your Evo 8 or Evo 9 projectors and I'll make it happen.
Old Sep 3, 2013, 12:53 PM
Evolved Member

I added two more pics

Last edited by impact blue; Sep 3, 2013 at 02:23 PM.
Old Sep 3, 2013, 06:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks like a great job! Just need better pictures of the output/cutoff.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 08:35 PM
Evolved Member

Pics are up there my projectors are stage2 color-modded but the camera does not catch it. Other than that im happy with it
Old Sep 4, 2013, 09:53 PM

Good work!!
Old Sep 5, 2013, 01:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 121 Likes on 105 Posts
Nice post and good work! Now if only these pictures were better quality I think that would make this thread way better.
Old Sep 5, 2013, 06:48 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks I have plenty more pics I see someone's thirsty lol if only I had a better camera why not video? would you like that?
Old Sep 7, 2013, 05:45 AM

I did this mod a few months back, but chose a different projector since our OEM is 3" i went with a 3" bixenon projector lol (murano bix)

Name:  cutofflineomg_zpsc10dade0.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  22.0 KB

retrofit crew ftw!
Old Sep 8, 2013, 06:15 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Nice job. 1 thing I would suggest to you or anyone else doing this - Use locktite red on the screws and nuts you used to assemble everything around the projector housing. I've been doing retrofits for about 5 years and that's one thing I learned the hard way
Old Sep 10, 2013, 01:33 AM
Evolved Member

Nice thanks for the input and extra pics.
Old Sep 22, 2013, 09:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
why even do this? i think the oem projectors are fine...
Old Sep 22, 2013, 10:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
OEM are decent, but not nearly as good as some of the projectors out there
Old Sep 23, 2013, 05:49 AM
Evolving Member

oh my gawd! i've done retrofits to my prius and i've done a quad projector on my WRX. i really didnt want to do it to my Lancer, but thanks to you i have revisited retro fit source dot com and hid planet. thanks! haha! looks good with the exception of the pictures.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 12:09 PM

i works at the retrofit source

Quick Reply: How to tsx projector retrofit