Notices
Evo How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

Best way to remove and install windshield?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2017, 06:10 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Best way to remove and install windshield?

I got to get a new windshield for my evo 9. I found one that's on a 05 lancer which i got to pull it off. I was wondering if anyone has done this? I don't have all the professional tools. I do have power tools like a saw zaw which i was wondering if it could be used to cut the urethane at the bottom seal and maybe at the sides and just use a box cutter to cut the top? Any info would be awesome, thanks.

Also is it true that windshields from 03-06 lancers fit on evo 8 and 9's?

Any other year lancers? A guy with a 07 lancer has one but idk it it would fit onto my evo 9?
Old Oct 16, 2017, 02:09 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
use a piece of bailing wire to 'cut' the window out. remove all the molding and plastic trim from the front and back of the windshield, the find a spot where you can push the wire through the urethane. then with 1 person on the inside and one person on the outside of the car grab the wire and work it all the way around the outside.

then take you non broken windshield and the car with the broken windshield to a glass shop and have it installed. trust me its not worth the leaks, wind noise, possible breaks later due to not being set correctly.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 07:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
In short: Have a professional do it.

It's like $300 to buy a new windshield and have a shop do it and they'll come to your door.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 08:20 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
do regular lancers have the same "temperlite" glass the evo has?
Old Oct 26, 2017, 01:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Not sure what you mean by temperlite. It is a different wind shield.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 08:13 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I used to work for a auto glass company for 3 years. Get a professional to do it, it's cheap and insurance companies usually cover it anyways.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by barneyb
Not sure what you mean by temperlite. It is a different wind shield.
from what i remember evo's come with a special lighter weight glass called "temperlite"
Old Oct 31, 2017, 08:27 AM

Old Oct 31, 2017, 06:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i've installed a lancer windshield on my evo and never had any issues. Get it professionally done and replace the moulding as well. You don't want a leaky windshield.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 07:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Evo glass is thinner apparently. Lancer glass would probably hold up better to chips and what not.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 03:47 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Why not just have insurance do it free?
Old Nov 18, 2017, 05:34 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by AF13_Evo
Why not just have insurance do it free?
I only have liability insurance, no collision. So I have to pay for it. Safe lite charge $320 for just the windshield and I'm not sure how much more to install it. My mechanic will do it for $330. I found a shop that has a junk lancer and they will pull the windshield off that and install it onto my evo for $200. And then I found a junk yard with a lancer and if i pull it off myself they will charge me only $20 bucks. That is why I am asking around to see how hard it is to remove one? It's worth the shot I think to try and pull it off myself since it's only 20 bucks. If I break it then no big deal. I heard dealerships charge over $500, one guy said $700! I deff want to get a lancer windshield since they are thicker.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 10:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
Safelite is installed. there's not separate price for that portion
Old Nov 18, 2017, 10:52 AM

they aren't thicker, if they were it wouldn't fit. The Temperlite uses a different technology to achieve lighter weight but the same, maybe better, strength. The windshield is an important part of the structural rigidity of the unibody, Mitsubishi installing a weaker windshield would defeat the purpose of the other chassis stiffening measures taken on the Evolution platform.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 10:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by speedfreak24
I only have liability insurance, no collision. So I have to pay for it. Safe lite charge $320 for just the windshield and I'm not sure how much more to install it. My mechanic will do it for $330. I found a shop that has a junk lancer and they will pull the windshield off that and install it onto my evo for $200. And then I found a junk yard with a lancer and if i pull it off myself they will charge me only $20 bucks. That is why I am asking around to see how hard it is to remove one? It's worth the shot I think to try and pull it off myself since it's only 20 bucks. If I break it then no big deal. I heard dealerships charge over $500, one guy said $700! I deff want to get a lancer windshield since they are thicker.
What's great about new glass is no speckles from sand hitting the windshield at highway speed. Eventually, with an older car, you start hoping you'll take a rock to the windshield just so you can replace it and see when driving into the sun. I just had my third windshield installed this summer and its nice. Thank-you to the truck that was hauling rocks with an uncovered load.

So, junk yard windshield - not for me.

Quick Reply: Best way to remove and install windshield?