Notices
Evo How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

My jdm rear fascia install (welding/painting/fabrication inside)

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2018, 02:58 PM
Jp7
Evolved Member

Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts
My jdm rear fascia install (welding/painting/fabrication inside)

Last July I took delivery of a rear jdm fascia for the CT9A but I did not have time to install it. I've finally gotten around to working on this.

My original concern was that I could not use a crash beam. I have since seen that one of the vendors offers a tube-crash beam which is I believe made of chromemoly. I wanted to have something underneath there.

I took some measurements, and with some luck I things are going out well. I enjoy tig-welding so I have been making this bumper out of aluminum. I am welding it with AC current. I am no expert but I am trying to learn more by doing.

This shows the factory bumper from the bottom

The factory bumper sticks back about 4 inches.

This shows the clearances underneath.

Factory USDM bumper fit

This is the clearance between the original USDM rear fascia and the end of my megan racing exhaust.

Rear fascia removed

Crash beam removed

rear fascia

Testing the fit of the JDM rear

The USDM crash beam really sticks out far.

Testing the fit with the jdm rear fascia and no crash beam

The JDM rear fascia does contact the exhaust. It will need to be shortened.
Old May 3, 2018, 03:04 PM
Jp7
Evolved Member

I went to purchase material for the new crash beam. I made this out of aluminum. It weighs 11 pounds less than the original one. it is 1/8th inch thick material.

needed a 1 inch drill bit to make holes so I could get a socket in there

it is really tight on the edge, there is only about 1/8 inch of clearance

Very tight fit back here too not much room

very tight in he

I need to build some sort of support bracket to take advantage of the factory push-pin location that holds the bottom up? See the plastic hole?

I need to build some sort of support bracket to take advantage of the factory push-pin location that holds the bottom up? See the plastic hole?

Old May 3, 2018, 03:05 PM
Jp7
Evolved Member

how are other people with the jdm rear attaching the 2 bottom pushpins like that? I am referring to the one on the exhaust hole, and the other one far over on the drivers side.
Old May 4, 2018, 10:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry your picture's aren't loading or at least not for me what push pins are you talking about?
Old May 4, 2018, 12:01 PM
Jp7
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by seqenretao
Sorry your picture's aren't loading or at least not for me what push pins are you talking about?
There are 2 spots on the bottom of the JDM that look like they would originally snap into the crash beam. Since I don't have an authentic crash beam, I will make brackets for these.

Pictures load fine for me, they are hosted on evom- not sure why it is not showing up for you.
Old May 5, 2018, 05:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah they load now fine it might have been cause I was on the work computer...went and looked what I did with mine they just aren't attached to anything at least the tabs by the exhaust cutout and the charcoal box the center ones I fixed to the mounting points there just with zip ties planning to take it back off after I get the stock crash beam shortened or I may just get the stm one haven't fully decided yet..but I've had it one a while like that with no issues at all maybe if you wanted you could just attach some mount points to your improvised crash bar if you want the extra support.
Old May 5, 2018, 10:03 AM
Jp7
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by seqenretao
maybe if you wanted you could just attach some mount points to your improvised crash bar if you want the extra support.
yes I plan on making a small bracket on each side. I already have it in my imagination what I want to do. I am really enjoying tig welding. Once I get everything fabricated to my satisfaction I will be bringing the bumper into my paint booth for some graphite grey spray =)
Old May 9, 2018, 04:05 PM
Jp7
Evolved Member

making a cardboard cut-out that will be the same shape as the aluminum

testing to see if it will fit between the attachment point on the fascia and the beam

traced onto the aluminum

cut with saw

clamp everything together

add a few small tack-welds and check the fit

Old May 11, 2018, 01:41 AM
Jp7
Evolved Member

I painted this outside. I didn't think it mattered if I got a little dirt, or a bug in the paint. Whenever I paint in my booth I have to clean up the overspray, and it's really clean right now since I prepared it for painting the fascia skin itself.

Old May 11, 2018, 02:58 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts
Looking good! Here's how Afterhours braced the JDM rear. They used an aluminum mounting bracket. The hole under the tow hook cover gets fastened into an oem location, but the one next to the exhaust tip is hard to address....

http://www.afterhoursautomotive.com/...r%20brace.html
Old May 29, 2018, 08:14 AM
Jp7
Evolved Member

I painted the lower body with POR for additional corrosion protection.

Old May 29, 2018, 08:18 AM
Jp7
Evolved Member

I tried making a bracket with my welder and some thin aluminum. I had to learn a little bit on 1/16th aluminum to get the heat right. I was burning through. The first attempt was a train wreck. But I got better. I ended up going with a simpler design by bending some metal.

Old May 29, 2018, 08:20 AM
Jp7
Evolved Member

then I needed provisions for plate lighting. I wanted to use an LED strip for neutral white color.

Old May 29, 2018, 08:22 AM
Jp7
Evolved Member

now I am cutting the exhaust shorter. I am being careful to make sure I get the fit I want. Taking my time.

Old Jun 17, 2018, 01:14 PM
Jp7
Evolved Member

test fitting and adjusting the exhaust to get the right alignment into the hole in the fascia

everything just held in with bungee cords

Quick Reply: My jdm rear fascia install (welding/painting/fabrication inside)