Notices
Evo How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

Evo IX Brembo Caliper Rebuild -- Torque specs

Old Dec 12, 2018, 10:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Evo IX Brembo Caliper Rebuild -- Torque specs

Hey everyone.

I'm taking my front and rear Brembo calipers apart to have them powder coated on my Evo IX MR, and I'm looking to find the torque specs for all of the bolts for when I get them back and have to put them all back together. I found several threads on the torque specs for the 2 bolts that mount the caliper to the car, but none of the other dozen or so bolts involved.

More specifically, I am looking for the torque specs for:
The two metal brake line fittings that run between the front and rear sections of the caliper.
The four bolts holding the two caliper halves together.
The two bleeder valves nuts.
The bolt that holds the actual brake line to the caliper.

(For posterity, the mounting bolts for the front and rear are:
Front brake assembly mounting bolt 108 ± 10 N⋅m (80 ± 7 ft-lb)
Rear brake assembly mounting bolt 54 ± 5 N⋅m (40 ± 4 ft-lb))

Since they are aluminum, I don't want to just crank it it tills its tight. I want to do it to spec. So any help would be appreciated.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 10:51 AM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Service manual should have most of what you need. Attached the brake portion for you. Sections 29 and 33
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
GR00002800-35A.pdf (1.72 MB, 0 views)
The following 2 users liked this post by rocknsnoboarder:
msdss (Dec 12, 2018), Nicolas (Mar 26, 2019)
Old Dec 12, 2018, 10:52 AM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Side note: I wouldn't split the caliper halves.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 12:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
DO NOT SPLIT THE CALIPER HALVES!!!!!! they will NOT go back together properly. I've coated my fair share of calipers and I NEVER split them (no need).
Old Dec 12, 2018, 12:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
@rocknsnoboarder Thanks for the .pdf! I really appreciate it!

@everyone
I haven't split anything apart yet. The powder coating place I've been talking to won't take them unless they are split apart. I spoke to a mechanic friend of mine and he told me the bolts are stretch bolts, and he didn't recommend that I split them either, unless I had replacement bolts as well... Now I have a problem... I have a car with no brakes in my garage, and questionable choices ahead of me...

Can anyone tell me their reasoning to NOT split them aside from the stretch bolt issue that I mentioned? I'd like to make the most educated choice as possible... Especially since now I have a completely useless car.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 01:31 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by msdss
@rocknsnoboarder Thanks for the .pdf! I really appreciate it!

@everyone
I haven't split anything apart yet. The powder coating place I've been talking to won't take them unless they are split apart. I spoke to a mechanic friend of mine and he told me the bolts are stretch bolts, and he didn't recommend that I split them either, unless I had replacement bolts as well... Now I have a problem... I have a car with no brakes in my garage, and questionable choices ahead of me...

Can anyone tell me their reasoning to NOT split them aside from the stretch bolt issue that I mentioned? I'd like to make the most educated choice as possible... Especially since now I have a completely useless car.
They are a machined surface. If the PC damages them in anyway, you're done. They also have a seal inside that you'll have to find and replace if you split them. Lucky for you I have a set of freshly rebuilt Brembo red calipers for sale, so you can buy those if you screw these ones up lol.

In all seriousness, I've rebuild about 6 sets of Brembo calipers and powder coated them all. I have NEVER split them. The set that did get pulled apart (not by me) leaked. So do what you want, but I see no point in splitting them. Just find another powder coater.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 02:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
On a related note to this. What do you do about the brake fluid? Cap the lines some how? Or drain the system and refill/bleed? What about the ABS pump wont it have air in it if the lines just sit open for an extended period of time?
Old Feb 16, 2019, 03:15 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by gsr1379
On a related note to this. What do you do about the brake fluid? Cap the lines some how? Or drain the system and refill/bleed? What about the ABS pump wont it have air in it if the lines just sit open for an extended period of time?
You can cap the lines, but you'll end up having to bleed the system anyway. Just follow standard bleeding procedures and you'll be fine. I've done a few and never had an issue with air in the line afterword. Just bleed them properly.

Search this Thread