Notices
Evo How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in the Request sub-forum.

Simple front camber increase

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2003, 03:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Simple front camber increase

I got my Evo aligned a few weeks ago and my stupid shop claimed they couldn't figure out how to adjust the front camber. After doing some research here I found out it could be done. The factory spec for the car quotes either -1 or -2 degrees camber up front +/- 30'. This is selected by an eccentric bolt connecting the strut to the hub assembly. My car, and I'm assuming all Evos, ship with this bolt set to the "-1" position. In reality my alignment shop claimed that I had about -0.6 camber on one side and -0.3 camber on the other side from the factory. This is out of spec, not cool. On top of that it's not much camber for cornering either.

I decided to do a "quick and dirty" home alignment this weekend while I was rotating the tires. You will need a 19mm socket to loosen the nuts on the strut bolts. You may also need a breaker bar if the bolt is being pesky, a wrench to hold the bolt while tightening the nut (I didn't need this), and a torque wrench.

Jack up the car and take off the front wheel. Loosen the two nuts on the bolts connecting the strut to the hub assembly. You should see the little arrow on the top bolt head pointing towards the car. Slide the top bolt out enough so that you can rotate it 180 degrees so the arrow is pointing towards you. Push the bolt back in, making sure it's seated properly. You may have to push the hub assembly top inwards to get the bolt to go in all the way. Now you can tighten up the two nuts (torque spec is 123 +/- 7 ft.-lbs.) and put the tire back on. Do the other side and you're done!

This should be good for at least one more degree of front camber. When I was tightening the nuts I made sure to push on the hub assembly to get as much negative camber as possible. It may not be even, but it's probably almost as good as the crap alignment that came from the factory! Hopefully any competent alignment shop (unlike mine I guess) would be able to figure this out and get it done right for you. But if you don't feel like forking ov er the cash for a full alignment (or a second alignment) or just like to screw around with your car, this one is cheap, quick, and easy.
Old Apr 12, 2004, 08:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Discuss thread here