EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo How Tos / Installations (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-how-tos-installations-82/)
-   -   How to: Radiator fluid flush & coolant flush (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-how-tos-installations/421396-how-radiator-fluid-flush-coolant-flush.html)

Evoryder May 16, 2009 10:43 PM

How to: Radiator fluid flush & coolant flush

1 Attachment(s)
Haven't flushed your cars cooling system in awhile? Here's a brief how for Coolant flush and radiator drain.

TOOLS NEEDED:
- 10MM WRENCH / 10MM DEEP SOCKET(OEM radiator)
- DRAIN PAN
- 2 GALS OF DISTILLED WATER
- 2 CONTAINERS OF ANTIFREEZE(W/ FUNNEL FOR LESS MESS)
- JACK + JACK STANDS

The plug is on the BOTTOM of the radiator(see fig.A), on the passenger side. Jack up car and you will see only one opportunity for a 10mm hex.

DISCLAIMER: PLEASE DO PROCEDURE ON COLD OR WELL COOLED DOWN CAR, PREVENTS BURNS FROM HOT COOLANT!!!

FIG.A:

Attachment 296858

Step 1: Jack up car with Jacks and jack stand, just do passenger side. Place drain pan under drain plug, loosen plug until fluid comes out(you might want to open fill cap on top of radiator first, releases vacuum in radiator). Continue to drain until it stops, just like an oil change...drip drip.......drip.......................drip :p

Also drain and clean the coolant reservoir. While draining the radiator take the time to clean it, and have it ready with fresh fluid. Super easy to take off...2 bolts 10/12mm I believe, disconnect hose attached.

Step 2: Once old fluid is out, get gallon or 2 of distilled water(depending on how many flushes you do) and pour into radiator fill cap from top of. Please make sure drain plug is closed. While filling the radiator you should run the motor and crank the A/C on Heat; max temp. Continue pouring till radiator is full.

Step 3: Drain radiator again which should have a slight mix of left over coolant and majority distilled water. If you feel you got all the old fluid out then continue to step 4, if not repeat from Step 2.

Step 4: Radiator should be fully drained of the distilled water, time to fill up the car with your preferred mix of coolant to water. Depending on what climate you live in, you can play with the mix of coolant : water. Drain plug for radiator should be closed and tightened. Remove drain pan, and lower car to level ground.

Step 5: DO NOT FORGET TO FILL RADIATOR. Do it with the car on the ground and also refill Reservoir Tank. MAKE SURE TO CHECK FOR LEAKS BEFORE DRIVING OFF!!!

Step 6: BURP system after filling radiator and reservoir.
To burp system remove radiator cap on cooled down or cold engine(radiator should be full of fluid)
start car and let engine idle. It may take a few minutes at idle for the air pocket to find it's way out. Initially the fluid will pulse and then start to pour over the fill neck. Once you're satisfied, replace lost coolant and clean up mess.

Side Note: Make sure you are Checking your radiator fans for proper operation. If you have evoscan you conduct a quick fan test to make sure they are operational. I had one of my fans go out on me and didnt know it.

Davo May 18, 2009 01:19 PM

nice, comprehensive how to do

kudos!

will be doing mine soon, have all I need already

596736 May 18, 2009 06:53 PM

Does the undercarriage crap need to removed to get to the drain plug?

Evoryder May 18, 2009 07:54 PM

^ Yes...good ol' plastic screws, have fun : ) ...i keep undershield off.

evoseb08 May 18, 2009 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by Evoryder (Post 7074981)
^ Yes...good ol' plastic screws, have fun : ) ...i keep undershield off.

as do I, great job bro.

EVO8MRjdm May 20, 2009 11:46 PM

Hi there

Great, Im due to do this and wasnt sure where the drain plug was for the radiator

Just a couple of questions though

1. I noticed you drained everything whilst the car was jacked up (i.e. it was not level).
Would it be better to jack up, drain, then let the car down to drain all its fluid whilst level on the ground, and then later jack it back up once you need to (to bolt up the drain plug again)

2. You mentioned just to refill the radiator and away you go. Do these cars require bleeding to ensure no air pockets are in the cooling system

i.e. fill it all up, leave the radiator cap off, turn the car on and leave it there to reach operating temperature, wait for the thermostat to open so you know its reached the correct operating temperature, and wait for all the bubbles to come up to the top (where radiator cap would go) and watch them start to pop/bleed out of the system. then wait for no more bubbles, quickly put the radiator cap back on. This is what I was taught with an old car from the local mechanic

Any thoughts?

Evoryder May 21, 2009 11:23 AM

You don't need to drain it level, by running the distilled water through it will allow you to get the old fluid out.

Second question: You can do so if you want, but I don't believe it's necessary.

SpinninAll4s May 27, 2009 05:13 PM

Nice write up!! Need to do one soon.

SpinninAll4s May 27, 2009 05:24 PM

What types of mixes are people running? Does water work the best?

Evoryder May 27, 2009 08:51 PM

I'm in miami, my mix is 70/30(coolant/distilled water)

SpinninAll4s May 28, 2009 05:57 PM

I was thinking some water wetter until it starts getting nippy out.

biggie5252 May 28, 2009 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by Evoryder (Post 7106858)
I'm in miami, my mix is 70/30(coolant/distilled water)

Do you mean 70/30 water/coolant?

Evoryder May 28, 2009 07:55 PM

no and actually i am running 60/40...i was thinking of another car. 60% coolant 40% water

mega-z Oct 20, 2009 02:10 PM

Make sure u get all of the air pockets out. If not under pressure u can pop a freeze plug. FYI!

evoracing Sep 16, 2010 05:33 PM

Bringing the thread back alive. So about how much of each item would give you 60/40 is it 2 jugs coolant and 1 gal distilled water?