EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo How Tos / Installations (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-how-tos-installations-82/)
-   -   How To: Port stock exhaust manifold and turbo (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-how-tos-installations/524476-how-port-stock-exhaust-manifold-turbo.html)

mspandl Nov 11, 2010 10:14 AM

How To: Port stock exhaust manifold and turbo

I am looking into getting some more whp & tq and dont know if its worth the money if people have done it themselves with good results. So my questions are:

-Has anyone done port work themselves?
-If so, did you benefit from it? (please provide dyno graphs)
-What did the work consist of and how long did it take?

I don't know if this will be worth my time doing, just seeing if anyone has. Thanks

vashonz Nov 11, 2010 11:29 AM

I think that for how much work and time it takes probably not worth it. English racing offers a porter one for $75 + core.

If you have time and tools it may be worthwhile. Tools would be carbide burr on a die grinder and decent sized compressor. Only try to do it with a dremel if you're a masochist.

one4 Nov 11, 2010 06:22 PM

i have an extra o2 housing im porting with a dremel for fun... its coming out nice. ill post pics after i finish it.

mspandl Nov 11, 2010 09:05 PM

Alright thanks guys. I think I will just send them in... Or go aftermarket :)

-Four Nov 25, 2010 09:02 PM

It will take forever using a dremel. I PnP my exhaust manifold. Use a Die grinder and a carbide bit and some patients.

RevMoto Nov 25, 2010 11:49 PM

My order goes carbide, stones, 60 grit and 120 grit sandpaper wheels, then a nice buff. The tools needed will add up if you don't have any of it.

CaptianSellout Nov 26, 2010 02:13 PM

If you do send your manifold in to get done, buy a used one off somebody, and send that in. A buddy of mine took the mani off his car, sent it in, and didnt get it back for like a month. No good. I've been thinking about getting it done myself. I don't think its worth doing it yourself, especially since it not that expensive of a job.

3dcalixpress Nov 26, 2010 02:27 PM

im looking to do this myself to ..seems like patients and a good eye for smoothness for the best flow over stock ..

Fast_Freddie Nov 26, 2010 02:53 PM

If you have the tools and bits it is cost efficient to do it yourself... Even if you don't have the carbide bits, flapwheels and sandpaper bits it will cost more to buy all the stuff than to pay someone to port it... However I get satisfaction from doing stuff myself, so I went that route... Make sure you have a spare gaskets so you know how much material to take off...

one4 Nov 26, 2010 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by -Four (Post 8866311)
It will take forever using a dremel. I PnP my exhaust manifold. Use a Die grinder and a carbide bit and some patients.

i actually did use carbide bits to do the initial grinding... they are great. practically eat the metal away lol! then i used the dremel with stone, then with rough sand paper, then fine, and finishing by hand sanding it. i wouldnt do an exhaust mani myself, as i dont have proper tools. o2 housing is easy tho...

sk8terdude929 Dec 7, 2010 09:07 PM

will a normal air grinder work or do you need some sort of extender? same with a dremel, do you need a extension? how deep should you go?

Fireant Dec 19, 2010 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by vashonz (Post 8829061)
I think that for how much work and time it takes probably not worth it. English racing offers a porter one for $75 + core.

$75 for the intake manifold or exhaust manifold?

Ryuartz Jan 6, 2011 07:55 AM

I am just wondering how far I can go? diameter? I know someone who can do porting job for me but I don't know what to tell him. thank you.

TxEvo8 Jan 6, 2011 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by Ryuartz (Post 8966673)
I am just wondering how far I can go? diameter? I know someone who can do porting job for me but I don't know what to tell him. thank you.

Use the gasket, and port it out to the dimensions of the gasket. Turbo side only, the block side is already gasket matched. If you have the tools it is like an hour job to port the mani.

5LEEPERISAH23I Jan 6, 2011 10:16 AM

i think your better off just sending it out and getting it ported it is only $100.

PS stock mani is good for 450-500whp