EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo How Tos / Installations (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-how-tos-installations-82/)
-   -   dash removal, E9 (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-how-tos-installations/572938-dash-removal-e9.html)

robbieraver Sep 4, 2011 01:14 AM

dash removal, E9

needing some advice on removing a dash on an evo 9,

can anyone give me some tips or the whole procedure..

ive gotten parts of the workshop manual from other users but this part is missing.

cheers.

ezz-e Sep 7, 2011 01:56 AM

bump i want to remove my dash

atomicapples Sep 7, 2011 08:57 AM

i would like to know also.

dotman05 Sep 11, 2011 07:48 PM

The dash is pretty simply should take less than 30mins with out rushing.

Start by taking the lower drivers panel and side dash panel and remove the gold 10mm bolts you see,
take the gauge cluster bezel by removing two phillips screws and pop off the bezel then move to the cluster by removing 4 more phillips screws then unclip the cluster followed by 1 or 2 gold 10mm bolts behind the cluster. move to the center lower part of the dash pop lower cubby off and left and right side of center dash has 2 gold 10mm bolts. take glove box out dis connect air bag and unbolt the air bag by taking out two more 10mm bolts..move the right side dash cover and remove bolts along with some in the glove box area.

Sorry for the crappy write up but that should get you by and pretty much get the dash out might of missed some steps but it will be easy once you are there

AreSTG Sep 30, 2012 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by dotman05 (Post 9597339)
The dash is pretty simply should take less than 30mins with out rushing.

Start by taking the lower drivers panel and side dash panel and remove the gold 10mm bolts you see,
take the gauge cluster bezel by removing two phillips screws and pop off the bezel then move to the cluster by removing 4 more phillips screws then unclip the cluster followed by 1 or 2 gold 10mm bolts behind the cluster. move to the center lower part of the dash pop lower cubby off and left and right side of center dash has 2 gold 10mm bolts. take glove box out dis connect air bag and unbolt the air bag by taking out two more 10mm bolts..move the right side dash cover and remove bolts along with some in the glove box area.

30minutes!?!

i'm probably 2 hours in right now. The whole dash moves around, seems freely, but then just stops wanting to move, plastic starts bending, etc.

An anyone tell me this. Does the whole thing come out as one piece? i took off the cosmetic cover, that includes the clock/hazard button. But the top "pad" and the bottom piece (what i consider the main part of the dash) are still connected. The airbag is moving freely with the dash when I pull on it. I just cannot figure out what else there is to undo. Any technique to pulling the dash out, if it is in fact as one piece? I've tried back then up, and up then back. I'm stumped.

EDIT: The A pillar trim will keep the dash from coming off.

Grimgrak Dec 23, 2012 08:15 AM

Anyone figure this out yet? Can you pull the air vent on top of the dash on the driver side? I am trying to diagnose a squeak that is driving me nutty.

shadovarian Mar 5, 2013 12:39 PM

It seems like from the thread

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ash-panel.html

That you have to kind of pull hard on it to get it to come loose.

My question, is the top molded to the bottom (the pad like thing) The donor car had air bags deployed. My dash has plastic damage above the glove box. I wanted to mind meld them together.

wjamyers Mar 5, 2013 12:54 PM

30 mins sounds like BS to me. was told it's hard to do it without screwing it up.

I'd like to address my dash rattle but I simply don't dare.

JaYr_EvO9 Mar 21, 2013 03:45 PM

30 min dash removal seem bs could be true but i doubt it anyways a nice write up if someone does it would be nice !!!!

shadovarian Mar 22, 2013 04:31 PM

I got it taken apart and had very little trouble. It wasn't 30 minutes, more like an hour but to answer my own question the dash is two pieces and can be removed from each other rather easily.

wjamyers Aug 25, 2013 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by shadovarian (Post 10723453)
I got it taken apart and had very little trouble. It wasn't 30 minutes, more like an hour but to answer my own question the dash is two pieces and can be removed from each other rather easily.

so, the "how to" you posted is legit, then, nothing missing or perhaps different for USDM?

Did you ever get it back together? How hard was that?

shadovarian Aug 26, 2013 05:22 PM

Yes the how to I posted is pretty complete. Remove all the screws it lists, and the tug on it a little it should at least try to give with a light pull. If it doesn't something is still bolted in. Try pulling at various places until you find the area and then look. The bolts aren't all that hidden. The only ones I sort of had problems getting to were behind the decorative plastic piece, I had to put the extender through one of the small holes and connect it to the socket on the other side.

Getting it back on isn't any more difficult than putting it on but you will need to phone a friend to get it lined up on both sides so someone can hold it on while the other person starts bolting it up. I would allot 3 hours for the round trip just in case you run into issues, plus I didn't give 2 Fs about the donor car, so I did cut some corners....and wires instead of gently removing them.

wjamyers Aug 27, 2013 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by shadovarian (Post 10935863)
Yes the how to I posted is pretty complete. Remove all the screws it lists, and the tug on it a little it should at least try to give with a light pull. If it doesn't something is still bolted in. Try pulling at various places until you find the are and then look. The bolts aren't all that hidden. The only ones I sort of had problems getting to were behind the plastic piece, I had to put the extender through one of the small holes and connect it to the socket on the other side.

Getting it back on isn't any more difficult than putting it on but you will need to phone a friend to get it lined up on both sides so someone can hold it on while the other person starts bolting it up. I would allot 3 hours for the round trip just in case you run into issues, plus I didn't give 2 Fs about the donor car, so I did cut some corners....and wires instead of gently removing them.

excellent information. thanks very much. now I need to screw up the courage to try and do this over a weekend on my beloved DD...

TheBoz Aug 27, 2013 04:59 PM

I can do my dash in 30 minutes, once I have all the small stuff off. First time took a few hours, now it is easy.

wjamyers Sep 5, 2013 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by TheBoz (Post 10937425)
I can do my dash in 30 minutes, once I have all the small stuff off. First time took a few hours, now it is easy.

have u ever tried to remediate dash rattle?