Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

Spider Web swirls in direct sunlight ...

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2007, 07:55 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Spider Web swirls in direct sunlight ...

Whats the best way to get rid of these tiny hairlin swirls ? You can only see them if the sun is shining directly on my car and all around the spot there is a circle of tiny swirls...I went to a local detailer and he said to try using a type of gloss because it sometimes hides them. Im guna try to clay bar some of the bad spots and then hit it with meguires show room glaze and a orange cutting pad on a porter cable then follow it with some tech wax on a polishing pad.... Do you guys have any tips on how to get rid of this or if im doing somthing wrong by only putting on one coat or somthing ???
Old May 16, 2007, 07:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^+1 got the same mess over here
Old May 16, 2007, 08:04 AM
Evolving Member

Had them to.
Get some good Meguiars products to polish them out.

Here you can see a spot that i did with ColorX and an excentrical machine.

Old May 16, 2007, 08:11 AM
Evolving Member

Wow, it appears Electric blue swirls up easily. that looks almost as bad as black. I think out of all the colors the Evo comes in there are only 3 that dont show swirl marks and they are White,Silver, and Graphite Grey.
Old May 16, 2007, 08:13 AM
Evolved Member

Can this be done by hand or would you recommend a machine?
Old May 16, 2007, 08:18 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Brijen123
Wow, it appears Electric blue swirls up easily. that looks almost as bad as black. I think out of all the colors the Evo comes in there are only 3 that dont show swirl marks and they are White,Silver, and Graphite Grey.
Every color has swirls

But on GG, S and WW you can't see them that good, but they do take away the reflection of the car.

The best you can do is buy a detailing machine with the matching detailing pads and the whole package of Poorboy's

I'm going to do that also.
Meguiars is a very good product, but i could not manage to get all the swirls away.

The stuff you need is

Poorboy's SSR1 (finishing polish)
Poorboy's SSR2 (fine polish)
Poorboy's SSR2.5 (polish)
Poorboy's SSR3 (compound hard polish)

Then you need to finish with a wax i.e. : Gold Class or NXT Tech wax (Meguiars)

Grtz

Last edited by BelgianEvo; May 16, 2007 at 09:34 AM.
Old May 16, 2007, 08:28 AM
Evolved Member

^^^^^^^^^^^
Don't listen to this guy.

Go read up at autopia or svtperformance.com under show/shine is the best car forum detail forum I've seen.

It would be:

Wash
Clay bar
Wash again
Poorboys SSR 2 or 2.5 for most fine scratches etc
Poorboys SSR 1
Followed by Red Vanilla Moose looks awesome on dark colors
Followed by Natty's blue or Pinnacle or similiar.

Use a Orbital Porter Cable has many it would take pages to describe how and what to do, so just read up on those to sites. You can buy packages that include drying towels, MF towels car wash, clay, multiple polishes, sealants, waxes, pads etc from many vendors....again you can find them on those sites. The detail market is as intense as the car market prepare to put on your thinking caps because it is pretty amazing what a good detail can do and fix!!

FWIW Tarmac black is crap!! Mitsu pain sucks my black Saturn looks 2x as good after a full detail as opposed to the crappy pain that Mitsu uses.
Old May 16, 2007, 08:41 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jasil
^^^^^^^^^^^

Go read up at autopia or svtperformance.com under show/shine is the best car forum detail forum I've seen.

It would be:

Wash
Clay bar
Wash again
Poorboys SSR 1

Use a Orbital Porter Cable has many it would take pages to describe how and what to do, so just read up on those to sites. You can buy packages that include drying towels, MF towels car wash, clay, multiple polishes, sealants, waxes, pads etc from many vendors....again you can find them on those sites. The detail market is as intense as the car market prepare to put on your thinking caps because it is pretty amazing what a good detail can do and fix!!

FWIW Tarmac black is crap!! Mitsu pain sucks my black Saturn looks 2x as good after a full detail as opposed to the crappy pain that Mitsu uses.
Old May 16, 2007, 09:15 AM
Evolving Member

^^^^^^^^^^^

It would be:

Wash
Clay bar
Wash again
Poorboys SSR 1

Dude do you think i'm stupid or something??????

I've done enough research to know what i'm talking about.
btw the porter cable is soon to be replaced by the UDM (Ultimate Detailing Machine) which is more powerfull and has more excentric movement.....

I've spend almost 800$ on detailing product for my car and have some expirience in these thing.

So don't just call me a stupid by telling people to don't listen to me......

Old May 16, 2007, 09:22 AM
Evolved Member

You have all of the Poorboy products in reverse order first of all. There is no need to use all of them anyway. Secondly in inexperienced hands you want a safe eccentric/orbital like a PC 7336/similiar once you have that mastered which takes time then you can move on to a rotary and wet sanding and really turn a factory paint job into a show quality car.

Change your post and your Poorboy product descriptions then people might listen to you.
Old May 16, 2007, 09:29 AM

What about getting the car wet sanded?
Old May 16, 2007, 09:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Hibachi.
What about getting the car wet sanded?
Not needed for this. A good swirl removing product will work wonders.
Old May 16, 2007, 09:37 AM
Evolving Member

You have all of the Poorboy products in reverse order first of all. There is no need to use all of them anyway. Secondly in inexperienced hands you want a safe eccentric/orbital like a PC 7336/similiar once you have that mastered which takes time then you can move on to a rotary and wet sanding and really turn a factory paint job into a show quality car.

Change your post and your Poorboy product descriptions then people might listen to you.
My mistake about the reverse order.....

About the PC and/or UDM.

The UDM is also safe because it's (more)excentrical then the PC.
Rotary indeed is very dangerous if you are inexperienced, but both of the above mentioned machines are relatively safe to use.
Old May 16, 2007, 09:41 AM
Evolving Member

Like Jasil said I would do some research on sites like autopia.org. There are a lot of product reviews and how to's for how to deal with various paint issues. There are also some write ups and discussions on here about detailing.
If the swirling is light you prob only need to polish, but if it is bad you will have to compound. I would claybar before doing either if you haven't already. I would be careful and do some research though before doing anything and make sure you have a good combo that will not make things worse or make more work for yourself than is necessary. Also using the right washing and drying tools (ie:good microfiber towels) will help to minimize the swirling in the first place.
Old May 16, 2007, 10:12 AM
Evolved Member

my rr had some light swirls going. I tried the basic turtle wax the other day and they were substantial reduced.

Quick Reply: Spider Web swirls in direct sunlight ...