Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

TSX HID retrofit on Evo IX GSR

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2008, 10:42 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by n1nj4 m0d3
nice write up and cut off line!
Thank you very much!
Old Aug 23, 2008, 10:45 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 194 Likes on 115 Posts
Originally Posted by jmartinez1170
Ill say the same thing i said in the last thread

If you knew anything about projectors you would know that the evo projectors are the best ones out next to TL's then TSX. The evo one's are the same ones used in alot of supercars even used in the FXX the first one made.

I disagree wholeheartedly. I've retrofitted quite a few setups using various projectors. Anything from the E55 bixenons, 7 series bosch's, valeo d2s ece, s2000, etc etc...and the evo's SUCK by comparison to the s2000's. The tsx's are close the the s2000's, but not equal. One nice thing though about the tsx's, is they are smaller and easier to retrofit. It'd be almost impossible to put s2000's in evo headlights.

Name all these supercars that have "evo" projectors in them.

The downside about the evo's projectors is the spread. It's not nearly as wide as a s2000/tsx projector. Nor does it put down as much light in an even pattern as well. I could go on and on, but it's falling on deaf ears...
Old Aug 23, 2008, 12:04 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by hytek369
how would you compare them to S2000? they are pretty impressive to me.

the s2000 projectors are the best projectors hands down!!
Old Aug 23, 2008, 12:12 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TwiNpnOy84
I think the s2000 HIDs are slightly wider. Aside from that, I didn't really notice a difference.
Old Aug 23, 2008, 01:07 PM
Evolving Member

Pull up next to a S2000 you will clearly see a difference from the width of the beam and angle.
Old Aug 23, 2008, 03:34 PM
Evolving Member

I personally love the ls430 projector setup.. The spread is crazy wide from the projector-reflector combination..
Old Aug 23, 2008, 04:10 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TwiNpnOy84
If I'm not mistaken, they are fairly larger than the TSX projectors and thus harder to retrofit.

EDIT: I stand corrected.

Last edited by delongedoug; Aug 23, 2008 at 05:19 PM.
Old Aug 23, 2008, 04:42 PM
Evolving Member

http://zilvia.net/f/chat/168900-s200...rs-vs-tsx.html

^ interesting read
Old Aug 23, 2008, 05:36 PM
Evolved Member

looks good
Old Nov 23, 2008, 05:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
> bringing thread back 2 life <

I have a question.... I have a 2006 Evo 9...My model came stock w/ HIDs.

Ive been strongly considering this conversation, but i've noticed that alot of ppl who are doing this are people who have the JDM headlights or people who bought the GSR's without HIDs.

Now only reason i would probably want this is b/c I love the output on those tsx projectors!! The dollar is really bad though right now so its gonna be CRAZY expensive for me to do this.

So question i had for the OP as well as all the lighting guru's here is... whats the best bang for buck for me:

#1 > Go w/ the TSX conversation
#2 > if I upgraded to a 55w ballast (instead of my 35w OEM one) would I see a huge difference. I also heard if i get Hella or Phillips thats a good thing too! Should I get new HID bulbs too?

Also side question too... is the evo temp 4300? Is it the projector or the bulb that contributes to the color...cause the pics of the TSX looks more blue/white but the stock evo one is more yellow/white... is that also cause the TSX ones are running 55w ballasts?

I also lowered my Evo and my beam has shifted down wards... is there a way to push the beam upwards? I have adjustable beams too!

Last edited by Go_Lancer_Go; Nov 23, 2008 at 05:23 PM.
Old Nov 23, 2008, 09:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
it's obviously brighter because of the 55w balast. If he were still using the same 35w on the tsx housing it would look very similar to the original pictures.

The top end cars like the Acura RL all use 55w. That's the reason why they light up 4 lanes of road.
Old Nov 23, 2008, 09:47 PM
Evolving Member

Save your money. If I had HID to begin with I would have never pursued this.
Old Nov 24, 2008, 06:44 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Evoryder

The top end cars like the Acura RL all use 55w. That's the reason why they light up 4 lanes of road.
You have absolutely no clue what you are talking about. Please shed light to where you found this information.
Old Nov 24, 2008, 06:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ill_take_one
You have absolutely no clue what you are talking about. Please shed light to where you found this information.
so what would u do in my situation?
Old Nov 24, 2008, 07:16 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Go_Lancer_Go
> bringing thread back 2 life <

I have a question.... I have a 2006 Evo 9...My model came stock w/ HIDs.

Ive been strongly considering this conversation, but i've noticed that alot of ppl who are doing this are people who have the JDM headlights or people who bought the GSR's without HIDs.

Now only reason i would probably want this is b/c I love the output on those tsx projectors!! The dollar is really bad though right now so its gonna be CRAZY expensive for me to do this.

So question i had for the OP as well as all the lighting guru's here is... whats the best bang for buck for me:

#1 > Go w/ the TSX conversation
#2 > if I upgraded to a 55w ballast (instead of my 35w OEM one) would I see a huge difference. I also heard if i get Hella or Phillips thats a good thing too! Should I get new HID bulbs too?

Also side question too... is the evo temp 4300? Is it the projector or the bulb that contributes to the color...cause the pics of the TSX looks more blue/white but the stock evo one is more yellow/white... is that also cause the TSX ones are running 55w ballasts?

I also lowered my Evo and my beam has shifted down wards... is there a way to push the beam upwards? I have adjustable beams too!
Well you've got a couple options.

You could sell your HID headlights/ballasts for a good price on here to someone who's looking for an OEM setup. Then just buy a set (or trade them) for a set of non-hid headlights.

Then I'd retrofit a set of projectors in those headlights. I know you are set on TSX's, but there are better projectors out there. However, you are working with a fairly limited space inside the evo housings, so TSX's may be nice due to their smaller size.

Keep in mind, not all ballasts work with every OEM HID projector. There are a couple variations, and to be honest, I'd have to check and see if the evo ballasts would work with the TSX's.

As far as going the 50w ballasts, I would recommend only using a quality philips or osram bulb. Don't cheap out in this department. As far as a difference, here's a couple quick pictures I found.

Name:  lobeamtlbulbcomp.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  30.3 KB

Yes, all OEM HID projectors come with either 4100/4300k bulbs. Anyone who tells you differently has no clue. It's all in the optics of the housing (projector bowl, cutoff, lens, etc) that makes it look a certain color. The bulbs obviously can influence the color as well obviously.

But some of the main differences you are seeing is due to the projector cutoff (usually there is alot blue/purple around the cutoff), and EVEN the bulb. I know older versions of the philips bulbs would deteriorate over time and turn more "blue/white". Thus, why you see differences in one to the next.

Yes, you can adjust your low beams (do a search).

Goodluck.

Last edited by LV///R; Nov 24, 2008 at 07:18 AM.

Quick Reply: TSX HID retrofit on Evo IX GSR