Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

how should i do my tails?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2009, 08:56 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think they fit perfectly with a silver car, my problem other then what i stated above about resealing them is how the darkness with flow with BBY. Really looking forward to the rear shot when you got them finished.

Thanks for the tips on the sealer.
Old Feb 22, 2009, 11:36 PM
Evolving Member

Wow, I need to do that soon
Old Feb 23, 2009, 02:02 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Its a 7
I think they fit perfectly with a silver car, my problem other then what i stated above about resealing them is how the darkness with flow with BBY. Really looking forward to the rear shot when you got them finished.

Thanks for the tips on the sealer.
It's amazing on a bby. I did mine a few months back with the same exact paint the op used.
Old Feb 23, 2009, 09:07 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by lost spyder
It's amazing on a bby. I did mine a few months back with the same exact paint the op used.
im sure it looks even better with your CF hood.

P.S. sorry for the huge pics guys. home my comp displays them perfectly but im on a different one now and they span way over to the right, ill remember that next time.
Old Feb 23, 2009, 09:15 AM
Former Vendor

You should only use plastic paint, otherwise you'll see chipping or uv fading eventually.

You cannot take the tails apart without a dremel. Any other way you try it you'll destroy them. Dremal wisely, its easy too screw them up.

Dont use rtv on the tails. Sealing them properly is paramount. Choose your glue wisely.

Post pics at a 800-600 resolution.
Old Feb 23, 2009, 09:58 AM
Evolving Member

those heads came out nice! just wanna know what did you used in opening up the heads?
Old Feb 23, 2009, 10:01 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Curt@MrLed
You should only use plastic paint, otherwise you'll see chipping or uv fading eventually.

You cannot take the tails apart without a dremel. Any other way you try it you'll destroy them. Dremal wisely, its easy too screw them up.

Dont use rtv on the tails. Sealing them properly is paramount. Choose your glue wisely.

I just sanded mine down completely, then a few light coats of primer and the high temp paint. They came out perfect and have been this way for about 6 months now. I can tell you right now i'll probably be going to the real jdm pair though. As i like the positioning of the amber much better on those.

To op, did you just re-seal the headlight with the factory glue? I did and was a bit worried of condensation. since my car is a garage ***** it never gets the chance to see rain/snow. But the past few weeks it's had to due to the dsm whoring up the garage. Needless to say they're bone dry still.
Old Feb 23, 2009, 11:56 AM
Evolving Member

How long did it take you to do the headlights?
Old Feb 23, 2009, 12:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Curt@MrLed

Ive seen two threads of ppl opening them successfully without a dremel so im gonna give it a shot. i have nothing to lose with this, if it doesn't work no big deal. and we'll have to see about the paint, if it does fade and looks bad maybe ill do them again, idk ill see when the time comes. If you have to dremel them,,, how do you open them without a big nasty cut?

Originally Posted by alphadux_evo
those heads came out nice! just wanna know what did you used in opening up the heads?
heat gun and various tools such as screwdrivers, chisel, and knife

Originally Posted by lost spyder
I just sanded mine down completely, then a few light coats of primer and the high temp paint. They came out perfect and have been this way for about 6 months now. I can tell you right now i'll probably be going to the real jdm pair though. As i like the positioning of the amber much better on those.

To op, did you just re-seal the headlight with the factory glue? I did and was a bit worried of condensation. since my car is a garage ***** it never gets the chance to see rain/snow. But the past few weeks it's had to due to the dsm whoring up the garage. Needless to say they're bone dry still.
factory glue seemed as though it would be good enough. i know it did most of the sealing because i didnt add any glue to the where they come together. i just added a nice bit around the outside where the outsides meet

Originally Posted by TwoFour
How long did it take you to do the headlights?
really i have no good estimate, i did them over like a 4 day period. i think the first one i opened took about a half hour, with the gun. sanding was long though and pretty painful, i used 800..... dont go that smooth, you'll shoot yourself

Last edited by Oki Panoki; Feb 23, 2009 at 12:56 PM.
Old Feb 23, 2009, 10:01 PM
Evolving Member

I've heard that Krylon Fusion is made for plastic, so no sanding or using primer is needed
Old Feb 23, 2009, 10:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
headlights came out awesome dude. Me and a buddy just did ours too a couple weeks ago and once you figure out what your doing, its pretty easy going. We didn't need to use any sealant as the factory glue on the housing is plenty enough to reseal them. So far no issues with condensation or anything And we went as far as painting the lense amber on the bottom to make it as jdm as possible.
Old Feb 23, 2009, 10:51 PM
Evolved Member

your headlights looks good. now you should black out your tail lights. silver looks good with blacked tails.
Old Feb 24, 2009, 06:38 AM
Former Vendor

Good luck to ya.
Old Feb 24, 2009, 06:40 AM

Personally like the JDM evo 7 tails
Old Feb 24, 2009, 06:55 AM
Evolving Member

I had mine painted, a guy did them for me, but he used a heat gun to heat up the adhesive and basicly had to cut it open, you wont be able to re-use this adhesive like the headlights. He ended up using Black RTV silicone.. but I had those tails for 4 years and no leaks, no problems....

Quick Reply: how should i do my tails?