Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

jdm bumper blues....fender fitment questions..and some other JDM bumper questions

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2012, 12:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Install it without the beam just to check fitment. If it only looks messed up with the beam in then its the beam itself. The beam should not effect how the bumper fits if its been properly modified.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 12:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yep, that is definitely the next step but before tearing apart my car, I'd like to get an idea of whether this happens to all bumpers or just my car.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 01:21 PM

latest news

called the company that did the install. they forgot to tell me, but when they pulled the other bumper off, there was no crash beam. so i guess the last company didn't actually modify the crash beam and put it in there.

they said they can't think of anything they can change that would fix the bulge nor that the corners aren't lining up well either.

i talked to driveline, they are pretty sure that it is an install problem. they suspect that the bumper is touching something that it shouldn't. most likely the crash beam.

so now i'm totally confused.

should i be able to see the crash beam from under neath the car? or would i have to take it off?

any other thoughts on what might be making it fit bad?
or does anyone have pictures of the areas I have concern with to know whether this is just something common with JDM bumpers?
Old Apr 18, 2012, 07:24 PM

any thoughts?
Old Apr 19, 2012, 06:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Even with no crash beam it should still fit perfect, assuming it is authentic and the car is not damaged in any way. I bought mine from Driveline a few years ago. Went on in 10 minutes. Authentic mitsu part should fit perfect every time. My suggestion would be to go to a reputable shop or even make the drive to driveline and physically show them the problem.
Old May 4, 2012, 09:31 AM

took my car back to speed element last night that did the previous install on my new bumper from driveline.

we installed the demonwerkz rear crash beam (see my comments here for that experience https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...onwerkz-2.html ).

bolted things back together and still no better fitment. so even with the middle part of the metal bracket on the bumper gone, it still doesn't fit properly.

the speed element team believes that the problem is related to the bumper so i'm going to try working with the guys at driveline on getting a new bumper.

if a new bumper still doesn't fit, i guess i'll work with an autobody company to see if there is a better way to install the bumper that will make it fit better.
Old May 4, 2012, 10:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
you must have been rear ended?
Old May 4, 2012, 11:13 AM

car has never been in a rear end accident.

the only thing anywhere near would be:
1. i ran over a pair of vice grips when i was dodging a bucket on the highway. it shot into my bumper and put a hole in it.

to note here, the stock bumper fit on the car without issue at this point.

2. when i had the first jdm bumper on my car, i bumped into another car that buckled it. but it popped out and just spidered the paint. no bumper cover, statefarm confirmed that paint only was needed.

to note here, the bumper fit the same as it did prior. the fitment is similar to what it is right now.

so the only possibility is that there was something that happened to my car when it was in the shop the first time for the first JDM bumper install.

Last edited by b0yw0nder; May 16, 2012 at 12:52 PM.
Old May 4, 2012, 12:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by b0yw0nder
car has never been in a rear end accident.

the only thing anywhere near would be:
1. i ran over a pair of vice grips when i was dodging a bucket on the highway. it shot into my bumper and put a hole in it.

to note here, the stock bumper fit on the car without issue at this point.

2. when i had the first jdm bumper on my car, i bumped into another car that buckled it. but it popped out and just spidered the paint.

to note here, the bumper fit the same as it did prior. the fitment is similar to what it is right now.

so the only possibility is that there was something that happened to my car when it was in the shop the first time for the first JDM bumper install.
if the usdm bumper fits perfectly the jdm one should as well
Old May 4, 2012, 12:35 PM

agreed, hence my dilemma
Old Jun 4, 2016, 06:44 PM

closing the loop on this a few years later, I went to an auto-body shop and they reinstalled the bumper. they reinstalled it from the "ground up" and were able to get things to fit better. the key was the bracket on the inside. its not PERFECT but after seeing a few other jdm bumpers I don't think the fitment is perfect on usdm.