Notices
Evo Show / Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

EvoM's First Wire Tuck How To

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2012, 09:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by CeliOnce
Where could you even relocate the fuse box to? All the way back to the trunk? Or would you be able to fit it under the dash somewhere.
If I'm not mistaken, people normally relocate the fuse box to behind the glove box.

I'm not planning on tackling that task any time soon though .
Old Jun 6, 2012, 10:02 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i think the engine bay fuse box can fit under the headlight, i see you have an 8 so shouldnt be a problem since there isnt acd stuff there
Old Jun 6, 2012, 10:26 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ihockey1
i think the engine bay fuse box can fit under the headlight, i see you have an 8 so shouldnt be a problem since there isnt acd stuff there
I DD the car and make trips from PA to IN. I wouldn't trust the fusebox under the headlight, as it would see too much weather for my taste. My fusebox will stay right where it is . I'll leave that to someone else, in another thread.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 10:29 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pushing the two wires together is not a good idea. you should use the western union joint and then solder it. The solder is not the main thing that keeps the two wires together it's the twisting of the wires that gives it straingth. After you have the union you heat up the wire and touch the solder to the wire and let it get sort of sucked into the joint. Try on a wire you have that you dont need off the car. http://constructionmanuals.tpub.com/...4027_122_2.jpg
Old Jun 6, 2012, 10:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Bobrick
Pushing the two wires together is not a good idea. you should use the western union joint and then solder it. The solder is not the main thing that keeps the two wires together it's the twisting of the wires that gives it straingth. After you have the union you heat up the wire and touch the solder to the wire and let it get sort of sucked into the joint. Try on a wire you have that you dont need off the car. http://constructionmanuals.tpub.com/...4027_122_2.jpg
Good call. I'll try that tomorrow. And again....I only soldered two wires in all of my "tucking" (which were small wires without any pressure on them), so I'm really not too worried about it.

I know that in the end of this I will at least have some damn good soldering skills due to all of this advice .

Keep it up!
Old Jun 6, 2012, 10:43 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Forgot to mention that it looks good so far and I can't wait to see the finished result. Good luck. I did a mini tuck myself. Had a different approach though.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 11:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Not to make this a bigger issue or anything, just clarifying what the actual problem is with soldering.

Solder will wick it's way up the wire underneath the insulation. Give it a shot, solder 2 wires together, then carefully flex (not bend) the wire and you will most likely see the actual wire is stiffer surrounding the joint as well as the the joint itself. The solder has wicked it's way up the wire and basically changed it from stranded to solid core wire.

If I'm not mistaken, I think boostzealot is talking about shrink tubing with a solder ring in it? I've had sporadic results with those and we never noticed until pulling things apart to see when they broke. Some would be rock solid, others fell right apart. It made me not trust them.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 12:48 AM
Evolving Member

cool write up. Gets people thinking about doing this kinda stuff when they would normally stay clear of such a project. I might have to go back into my bay and try some of this stuff. I might even consider de-pinning each harness clip as i go to individually sleeve the set of wires. similar to the chase bays harness.
Old Jun 8, 2012, 10:07 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Bobrick
Forgot to mention that it looks good so far and I can't wait to see the finished result. Good luck. I did a mini tuck myself. Had a different approach though.
Thanks man. My approach was to tuck with having faith that my car would start again .

Originally Posted by 03whitegsr
Not to make this a bigger issue or anything, just clarifying what the actual problem is with soldering.

Solder will wick it's way up the wire underneath the insulation. Give it a shot, solder 2 wires together, then carefully flex (not bend) the wire and you will most likely see the actual wire is stiffer surrounding the joint as well as the the joint itself. The solder has wicked it's way up the wire and basically changed it from stranded to solid core wire.

If I'm not mistaken, I think boostzealot is talking about shrink tubing with a solder ring in it? I've had sporadic results with those and we never noticed until pulling things apart to see when they broke. Some would be rock solid, others fell right apart. It made me not trust them.
Thanks again for the info, mang. I ended up getting OEM-type clamps for the damaged wire, and protected it very well to avoid future failures.

Originally Posted by EvoFredo
cool write up. Gets people thinking about doing this kinda stuff when they would normally stay clear of such a project. I might have to go back into my bay and try some of this stuff. I might even consider de-pinning each harness clip as i go to individually sleeve the set of wires. similar to the chase bays harness.
Exactly why I did the write up. If you have the loom available, this can easily be done in a weekend, assuming that you don't need to make too many repairs.
Old Jun 8, 2012, 10:38 PM
Evolving Member

Subscribed looks good so far
Old Jun 9, 2012, 09:02 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by lude2evo
Subscribed looks good so far
Shank ya sir. The harness will be all plugged in today. I just won't have loom around it yet.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 10:09 PM
Evolved Member

The tuck is done!! I'm just waiting on loom. Here are a few teasers with just the wrap, no loom.

Name:  IMG_2409.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  250.3 KB
Name:  IMG_2410.jpg
Size:  290.3 KB
Name:  IMG_2412.jpg
Size:  272.6 KB
Name:  IMG_2414.jpg
Size:  254.5 KB
The following users liked this post:
hokiruu (Nov 13, 2019)
Old Jun 11, 2012, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by Blue91lx
The tuck is done!! I'm just waiting on loom. Here are a few teasers with just the wrap, no loom.

Very Nice Indeed!
Old Jun 11, 2012, 09:50 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Manuel Rivera
Very Nice Indeed!
I was satisfied in how it came out. Definitely a solid project for the little amount of time it took.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 09:54 AM
Evolving Member

Location: Detroit metro area Michigan/Washington DC metro area
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
nice work Sub'd

Quick Reply: EvoM's First Wire Tuck How To