Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

Evo IX GT Wagon. a JDM car in Australia

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2017, 03:28 AM

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts
Have very much enjoyed reading your thread man, especially as a fellow aussie. Where do you find it best to order your OEM parts?

Bought my evo missing guard liners front & rear and want to replace other little things that have aged on my VIII.

Beautiful car with well thought out upgrades! Keep up the good work.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 04:08 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That's a real shame about the FPR, Andy. But I'm sure the wait will be worth it. I'm really looking forward to the results. And *thank you* for beings thorough with your images and text. You're doing the Evo community worldwide a good service, sir!
Old Apr 30, 2017, 12:59 PM
Evolving Member

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
Thanks guys.
@gotblkr I used to get OEM parts from the US but when the exchange rate worsened I now get parts from www.amayama.com
I do remember getting my new fender liners in Australia though.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 03:18 PM

Legend thanks man. Yeah I have found Amayama to be pretty good. I recently replaced all of my wheel studs and found them to be by far the best for pricing when looking at OEM options...
Old May 2, 2017, 10:06 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
anyone have a good source for a Evo wagon rear bumper shipped to Usa? We don't have them here.
Old May 2, 2017, 02:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have only ever seen one of these on the road in the UK. Great build!
Old May 3, 2017, 10:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Talking

Love your style mate, but whats your secret in getting the wife to agree on all this???

Old May 4, 2017, 03:59 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by rong.
anyone have a good source for a Evo wagon rear bumper shipped to Usa? We don't have them here.
I have seen used rear bumper bars for sale on Yahoo auctions Japan. I can't read Japanese so I access these auctions using a service provided by Import Monster in Australia or through jessestreeter.com in Japan.

Thanks @Pandaxpress These wagons are extremely rare in Australia. I believe there's only 3 that are road registered cars ATM and one of these 3 is a GT-A wagon.

@Jono99 The secret my friend is not to get into detailed discussions of total money spent, do most of the work on the car yourself and don't have kids!

I still refuse to "grow up"
Old May 5, 2017, 07:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Damn I just bought the boomslang harness didn't realize haltech was going to release one.
Old May 10, 2017, 11:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wow great build
Old May 12, 2017, 07:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Best shops in Australia to order parts like manifolds meth kits n plugs etc with good prices?
Old May 15, 2017, 03:12 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
thats lovely
Old May 22, 2017, 04:01 PM
Evolving Member

23 May 2017 update

My car is still not running well, very frustrating.

I was surprised my tuner was suspecting the FPR as the cause of the issue but they had another car at their workshop with a low fuel pressure problem also and it had the Turbosmart FPR2000 too.

Anyway its been replaced now with a Fuel Lab FPR. They hooked up the new Haltech Elite 2500 ECU and the car went on the dyno for the 98 tune.

Evo IX GT Wagon. a JDM car in Australia-8rrscuk.jpg

Evo IX GT Wagon. a JDM car in Australia-r30ai0z.jpg

Evo IX GT Wagon. a JDM car in Australia-sd5iktp.jpg

Evo IX GT Wagon. a JDM car in Australia-iojeose.jpg

Boring read ahead… Started on fuel maps for the 98 tune and at lunchtime the car was going ok and the "hard to impress dyno" read 312kw which is not bad since I had recently fitted the smaller turbo. After lunch I picked up some extra fuel to finish off the tune but this time the 98 fuel was from the Caltex servo. Topped up the tank and then the AFRs were all wrong again. I don't know exactly what was going on but my tuner and the boss tuner had worried confused looks on their faces. Car was going lean, different brand of petrol shouldn't have affected the tune this much. Next day we tried a bit of road tuning to try and smooth out a jerkiness that was happening going from cruising and no throttle onto part throttle. timing would jump to 28* BTDC and AFR would show lean. After phone calls to Haltech and sending them the tune we gave up for the day and I drove it home cautiously.

On the 31st May I'll take the wagon back to my tuner and while the car is on the dyno it will go "on-line" so Scott from Haltech (Tuning Fork) can see what's going on.

Also, my new Haltech Dash died. Yes this is the second one that has died in six months after using it for only about 200kms. So I've sent it back to Haltech. Its very strange for two of them to fail, the first failed after only a few days using my Haltech Platinum Pro ECU and this Dash failed about 5 hours into a tune with the new Haltech Elite ECU.

Jinxed!

In my fuel tank sits DW lift pump but because I have heard of lots of them failing I want to replace it ASAP. Any recommendations appreciated
Old May 22, 2017, 06:27 PM

Man they are some tuff breaks! At least the best thing about shopping with a reputable brand such as Haltech is that their after sales support should be on point...

Keep us posted mate, hope things start to look up!
Old May 22, 2017, 10:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So much want... I heard are there a lot of unique parts for wagon? or parts are pretty much interchangeable?

Quick Reply: Evo IX GT Wagon. a JDM car in Australia