Notices
Project Cars / Build Threads Please post your build threads here.

Evo IX GT Wagon. a JDM car in Australia

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2017, 09:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Any update from your tuner about the injectors ?

One thing is for sure, ID injectors are top of the line. The rolls royce of injector world.

I mostly use FIC in the vehicles i tune purely because of the price difference.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 04:53 PM
Evolving Member

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by evoforstevo
One of the best builds I've ever seen.

Couple questions:
Why the silicon intake? (I've seen them collapse under boost loading)
Also, have you thought about swapping the worm gear clamps with t bolt clamps?

Can't wait to see more
Thanks Steve.

I swapped to the "GT Pumps" silicon inlet as my old hard pipe inlet didn't fit with my new upper intercooler pipe. It's reinforced silicon so at least while it's new I don't think it will suck in because the pod filter doesn't offer much restriction. I could be wrong/ not sure. I was planning to get a custom made aluminium inlet pipe a bit later that will fit perfectly with my airbox.

As for the clamps, from what I've read the t-bolt clamps don't give consistent pressure right around the pipe. I think they look a bit messy too. The Turbosmart clamps I had before were very good too.

@mines5 I emailed your comment to my tuner yesterday, Thanks! I haven't had a reply yet. The car goes back on the dyno in 3 days. A mate of mine with Evo 7, 2.3L, FP Black, cams, ID1700, e85 flex tune runs OEM ECU and his car runs great and over 400kw atw.
Old Jun 17, 2017, 12:01 AM
Evolved Member

I am sure your tuner will be able to work out. Haltech is top of the line.

On Oem ECU i have tuned FIC 2150 and FIC 1450, both idling at 14.7 afr on pump gas.

Waiting for the dyno results of this beauty.
Old Jun 17, 2017, 07:50 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks for your imput mines5.

Recently I bought some Carbon Fiber side skirt extensions. They were easy to install as most of the holes were already screw holes in the OEM side skirt. However there are two extra holes in the side skirt extension compared to the OEM side skirts, so I drilled two extra holes in the OEM side skirt so I could use every available mounting points. I replaced all the screws with new zinc plated screw that were slightly longer than the OEM length.

Evo IX GT Wagon. a JDM car in Australia-gg1seuw.jpg

Looks good the the CF spats.

Evo IX GT Wagon. a JDM car in Australia-esv7zdo.jpg

Evo IX GT Wagon. a JDM car in Australia-90vln1u.jpg
Old Jun 17, 2017, 08:08 PM
Evolving Member

VOLTEX and Beatrush deliveries

Evo IX GT Wagon. a JDM car in Australia-0hfbqpq.jpg

I found a genuine VOLTEX Carbon Fiber rear diffuser "in stock" in Australia from Wei @ VisionR. I believe buying from Japan can take six months as lots of Voltex parts are made to order and they are very busy. Cheaper through VisionR too when you consider shipping, import fees, GST etc.

Voltex ER-1 Rear Diffuser

Instructions all in Japanese

Evo IX GT Wagon. a JDM car in Australia-nrqahj7.jpg

To make the trial fitting easier I used a mate's hoist.

Evo IX GT Wagon. a JDM car in Australia-waghdxm.jpg

The diffuser is actually made for the Evo IX Sedan and as the Evo wagon's rear bar is a squarer shape and about 40mm longer I was a bit worried how the install would go. The first issue was the diffuser touching the muffler as the muffler was a bit crooked. I refused to trim the Voltex diffuser, I've seen people do this before but it weakens it and is not necessary. So I cut the exhaust pipe and repositioned it into a new exhaust flange and Mig welded it up. Great! Now the muffler is straight and has diffuser clearance.

The front of the diffuser was a perfect fit onto the car's chassis. The sides of the diffuser fitted perfectly on the sides of the rear bar too. WIN!

The next issue, which I expected would be a problem, was due to my Carbon Fiber cover that sits on top of the JDM evo 9 rear bar. Its carbon fiber "strakes" which are a similar shape to the oem bar sit down a bit lower than the bare OEM bar so I had to modify 4 of the Voltex attaching brackets.

Pic below shows the diffuser attached but not aligned properly yet. And then I ran out of daytime.

Evo IX GT Wagon. a JDM car in Australia-nidrqsi.jpg

So to continue the install the following day in my garage.

I attached the modified hanger brackets to the Voltex diffuser with bolts and to the car with duct tape. I then removed the bracket bolts from diffuser and lowered the diffuser from the car leaving the brackets attached to the car with duct tape. Now I have room to drill through brackets and into the rear bar & its steel reinforcement. Next I bolted the brackets securely to the car with stainless socket head screws and nyloc nuts.

Then I put the diffuser back on the car using all mounting points. I used stainless fasteners everywhere and domed nuts on the diffuser to hanger brackets bolts here:

Evo IX GT Wagon. a JDM car in Australia-elearg1.jpg

Done. It is a little rock catcher though. I need to address this. Maybe some mesh on the front edge of the diffuser will help to stop the rear tyres filling the diffuser with gravel

Evo IX GT Wagon. a JDM car in Australia-ubp5mpn.jpg
Old Jun 17, 2017, 10:07 PM
Evolved Member

The only downside of this voltex diffuser is that dust accumulates in it easily.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 12:39 AM

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts
Far out that looks good mate. ^^ Definitely correct too, the voltex diffuser just collects every piece of dirt & rubbish you could ever imagine haha
Old Jun 18, 2017, 03:04 AM
Evolved Member

On a street / drag car what difference a voltex diffuser would make?
Old Jun 18, 2017, 03:54 AM
Evolving Member

Voltex developed the aero on the WTAC winning "Tilton Evo". So they're well respected and certainly know what they're doing. The Voltex diffuser stops the rear bar from being a little parachute so it must help airflow but I haven't seen any wind tunnel data on drag reduction or downforce. I've seen cars at World Time Attack in Sydney using this exact diffuser so I hope its not all cosmetic.

Yes I've got to do something about it collecting small rocks. Some mesh at the front should help but in the mean time it does have two large 1.5" drain holes at the front of the diffuser, so I can hose out the gravel
Old Jun 18, 2017, 04:10 AM
Evolved Member

This a friends evo 8 MR . Weight wise is it heavy ?
Old Jun 18, 2017, 04:37 AM
Evolved Member

Check out the dirt which I was talking about..
Old Jun 18, 2017, 06:22 AM
Evolving Member

Dirt? Perhaps it needs more cleaning. But I much prefer the design over the Varis diffuser. I'll happily just clean it every day if it needs it.

Last edited by uzumaki; Jun 18, 2017 at 04:37 PM.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 12:23 PM
Evolved Member

Just sharing the experience bro. Looks every bit Great ��
Old Jun 18, 2017, 04:44 PM
Evolving Member

Sorry I didn't mean my comment to sound harsh. It's very light too. But the inside is a raw fibreglass finish that has been painted but it's not super smooth. That might be why dust just sits there.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 04:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
I like the carbon skirts, what polishing products do you use?

Quick Reply: Evo IX GT Wagon. a JDM car in Australia