EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo Show / Shine (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-show-shine-86/)
-   -   For those of you with a Seibon cf hood, look here (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-show-shine/202643-those-you-seibon-cf-hood-look-here.html)

EVIL_EVO_VIII May 23, 2006 02:12 PM

For those of you with a Seibon cf hood, look here

I have a Seibon Cf hood on my car for the last 4 months or so. I was cleaning it the other day and i noticed there white lilttle dots almost on most of the hood. i tried wiping them off but it looks like its under the clear coat..Anyone have any idea what this is? You can only see it when the sun is real bright and its shining on the hood directly, any suggestions? Can this be taken out? I wax the hood once a month to keep it protected

~EVILEVO~ May 23, 2006 02:17 PM

I have a Seibon carbon hood OEM style, and its flawless......I read threads all the time how Seibon is lower quality......but not mine.
I must have got a monday hood {thumbup}

lil'evil_evo May 23, 2006 02:33 PM

post a picture if possible

JDMrence May 23, 2006 02:39 PM

could be the clear coat peeling? maybe try a wetsand and re-clear, but yes, pics would help

EVIL_EVO_VIII May 23, 2006 03:30 PM

the white dots are so small that they might not show up on a pic.. i will try to take a pic this weekend and post it...

Can cf be buffed with a polisher?

kmcconn9 May 23, 2006 03:32 PM

hmm, I have the cf trunk from seibon with no problems whatsoever...

EVIL_EVO_VIII May 23, 2006 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by kmcconn9
hmm, I have the cf trunk from seibon with no problems whatsoever...

They look like little flakes, i dont know where they came from...

I wana buff it but im affraid to damage the hood

lancealott May 23, 2006 03:58 PM

I had that problem on my original evo wing. It turned out to be the clear coat peeling from the carbon fiber. Now I wax my carbon fiber products every time I wash.

EVIL_EVO_VIII May 23, 2006 04:06 PM

Can cf be buffed?

kr1s May 23, 2006 04:54 PM

They could be tiny air bubbles trapped under the resin when being molded. I doubt it is in the clearcoat. I had a Fiber Images hood and trunk and they had the same thing you are talking about. You can wax and polish CF parts that have clearcoat. But I wouldn't waste the time as I am sure it is air.

Kris

Sano May 23, 2006 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by kr1s
They could be tiny air bubbles trapped under the resin when being molded. I doubt it is in the clearcoat. I had a Fiber Images hood and trunk and they had the same thing you are talking about. You can wax and polish CF parts that have clearcoat. But I wouldn't waste the time as I am sure it is air.

Kris

agreed, its probablly air bumps, or some kind of sun bump. I had a cf hood do the same thing. As long as people are looking at your hood with a magnifying glass you will be ok. I would not buff it though

Nesiop May 23, 2006 04:57 PM

I have had my Seibon TSII Hood for about a year and about 8 months ago it started cracking around the vents but no little flakes.

11secEVO7 May 23, 2006 04:58 PM

yea it can be buffed...

i've got a cf bonnet with no problems either...

EVIL_EVO_VIII May 23, 2006 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by kr1s

Kris

no, no there not air bubbles at all, they are white flakes, for example , you know when someone is using a air spray machine and over spray gets on other things the paint is blown to? Well thats what it looks like, its white little dots like the size of a needle but theres just alot, you can only see them when its real bright out side and when its looked at from different angles...

AtomicArmy May 23, 2006 05:23 PM

Its clear coat failure, use a fine polish/wax/sealant to try and spread the remaning clear out more.