EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo Show / Shine (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-show-shine-86/)
-   -   Brembo, clear coat wax? (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-show-shine/263699-brembo-clear-coat-wax.html)

MyEvoDream Apr 12, 2007 04:42 AM

Brembo, clear coat wax?

So I have done some research, and obviously I know that the brembo's peel, so I was just wondering, I have a IX, and I know supposedly the paint is supposed to be better on these brembo's, but in order to prevent the peeling from happening in the future is it possible to put say a clear coat finish on them, like you would after waxing, to prevent this?? I know this could be a potentially dumb question, but I was just curious...I mean I know the high heat would probably play an effect on it....if not that...is there any clear coat spray, etc. I could use to prevent the peeling from ever happening?

Boltz. Apr 12, 2007 07:02 AM

You could use a sealant wax. I clean and seal my calipers everytime I switch my tires

TSiAWD666 Apr 12, 2007 07:11 AM

Err wax can't handle the heat.

mifesto Apr 12, 2007 07:18 AM

how often do u truely heat up them up huh? clearcoat on the brembos dont go because of heat... they BROWN. this is a big misconception. clearcoat on the brembos peel and turn white because people dont take care of um.

keep the brake dust off religiously and wax often and u WILL be fine

i hate talking about this w/ people because many are so thick headed..... clearcoat on brembos and CF spoilers are PAINT! u cant leave paint exposted without wax while leaving dirt and brake dust to eat away at it over time and still expect it to look good. brake calipers get POUNDED by dirt and brake dust, the paint on the brembos need to be religously protected.

Daniel_4g63 Apr 12, 2007 07:20 AM

I just learned the hard way never use a wheel cleaner like Meguires hot rims stuff took a nice big chunk of clear off my front passenger caliper use soap and water too answer your question should work i dont see why not.

MyEvoDream Apr 12, 2007 07:23 AM

Ok, this is what I was thinking, should work. Normally, I never use products besides brake dust remover on my rims. When I spray my tires I have a cut out that I put over the rims to not get ANY spray on the rims, rotors, calipers, etc. Think I'll just stick with cleaning them once a week, when I normally wash the car, and put some sealant clear coat over it once a month. That should keep it clear. Thanks for all the input!

grillpt Apr 12, 2007 07:30 AM

I use nothing but soap and water on my wheels and calipers and they still peel. I cleaner them once a week. I never use solvents or cleaners. I have had the dealer replace my front's beforew they put a ban on doing so and now my second set is peeling. It must be the way Brembo put's the clear on.

mifesto Apr 12, 2007 08:02 AM

wax also?

evo72man Apr 12, 2007 09:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Yup, don't use harsh solvents. Just water and soap and it should be fine. Mine has been through some abuse with wheel cleaners and harsh chemicals so the peel has started. I had to repaint mine.

turbochrgdbeast Apr 12, 2007 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by mifesto (Post 4200775)
how often do u truely heat up them up huh? clearcoat on the brembos dont go because of heat... they BROWN. this is a big misconception. clearcoat on the brembos peel and turn white because people dont take care of um.

keep the brake dust off religiously and wax often and u WILL be fine

i hate talking about this w/ people because many are so thick headed..... clearcoat on brembos and CF spoilers are PAINT! u cant leave paint exposted without wax while leaving dirt and brake dust to eat away at it over time and still expect it to look good. brake calipers get POUNDED by dirt and brake dust, the paint on the brembos need to be religously protected.

What kind of wax would you suggest? Is the regular wax we used on the car good enough? or Are there any certain wax you think we should use.

Kordwood Apr 12, 2007 09:20 AM

Waxing your calipers. I guess this must be the official car for the metro sexual.

turbochrgdbeast Apr 12, 2007 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by grillpt (Post 4200823)
I use nothing but soap and water on my wheels and calipers and they still peel. I cleaner them once a week. I never use solvents or cleaners. I have had the dealer replace my front's beforew they put a ban on doing so and now my second set is peeling. It must be the way Brembo put's the clear on.

are you talking about dishwashing soap? if you are, then thats a very bad move:(

MyEvoDream Apr 12, 2007 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by Kordwood (Post 4201238)
Waxing your calipers. I guess this must be the official car for the metro sexual.

Didnt know there was something wrong with riding your car CLEAN. that means, every minor detail. Not a DD, but a weekend car/pleasure car, I'm a clean person, why would I want my $28K car too have minor crappy details including my calipers...?

evo72man Apr 12, 2007 10:19 AM

Waxing will just clean them and not protect them. If want that constant shine, just use a rubbing compound on them very carefully and then use a high temperature clear coat. After I repainted my Bremos, I used a high temperature or engine enamel clear coat and it always stay shinny, not like before the peeling.

mifesto Apr 12, 2007 10:57 AM

to evo732man-------------wax cleans but doesnt protect? u got it in reverse buddy. besides cleaner wax which i personally never recommend to anyone, wax doesnt clean but only protects. ur wheel wouldnt have peeled probably if u actually waxed ur wheels. u do know most wheels have clearcoat too right? guess u didnt.

as for u spraying any paint, i would NEVER recommend that to anyone unless their calipers are already peeling and mitsu denied them. if u paint ur own, wave goodbye w/ anyone chance mitsu will replace.

to answer MYDREAMEVO, waxing the calipers makes perfect sense considering they are PAINTED SURFACE.