EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo Show / Shine (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-show-shine-86/)
-   -   Heatshield cleaned :) (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-show-shine/60199-heatshield-cleaned.html)

vegasboy301 Jan 19, 2004 05:59 PM

Heatshield cleaned :)

1 Attachment(s)
well i used some mothers shine stuff and this brush, and in about two hours i came out with this {thumbup} tell me what u think

BEFORE:

vegasboy301 Jan 19, 2004 06:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
{devil}

AFTER:

vegasboy301 Jan 19, 2004 06:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
another snazzy shot :apimp:

bobaab Jan 19, 2004 06:03 PM

oo shiny :D i didnt think the heatshield would ever look like that..

vegasboy301 Jan 19, 2004 06:22 PM

Originally posted by bobaab
oo shiny :D i didnt think the heatshield would ever look like that..
yup it can

sleet Jan 19, 2004 06:23 PM

Looks sexi!

limey Jan 19, 2004 06:40 PM

Will it rust badly now d'ya think?

vegasboy301 Jan 19, 2004 06:41 PM

i dont think so. i hope not

gonzo Jan 19, 2004 06:58 PM

Do mine!

evo81 Jan 19, 2004 07:01 PM

do mine also. :D

vegasboy301 Jan 19, 2004 07:42 PM

yeah, ok guys. $50 bucks a lick. lol. we will talk about it @ the next meet!!!

Quickshift Jan 19, 2004 07:43 PM

Nice work bro , looking sharp man. What did you use exactly to get that brilliance. Ive tryed some mothers wheel polisher which is pretty strong but doesnt work as well as yours did.

boomn29 Jan 19, 2004 07:43 PM

Very nice....Did you take it off, or just scrub while under the hood??

SinCityEvo Jan 19, 2004 08:53 PM

Ah, I guess you were motivated by seeing mine. Looks great Alex. Just keep polishing whenever you have time. Mine keeps getting more shiney. Also do that upper I.C. pipe. That comes out like a mirror also.

You have to remove it to make it easier. I used sandpaper made for metal. Also a wire brush. Mothers aluminum polish is the best for this job. I have tried others. Mothers has a fine grit in the polish to finely smooth the metal as it polishes.

Also, it will not rust, just will show water spots. I have to re-polish it to bring out the shine after washing the car. But I also have the louvered shield removed so you can see right down to the shield and red valve cover. Looks mean when standing in front of the car with that crappy hood vent removed.

vegasboy301 Jan 19, 2004 09:03 PM

Originally posted by boomn29
Very nice....Did you take it off, or just scrub while under the hood??
i took it out

Originally posted by SinCityEvo
Ah, I guess you were motivated by seeing mine. Looks great Alex. Just keep polishing whenever you have time. Mine keeps getting more shiney. Also do that upper I.C. pipe. That comes out like a mirror also.

You have to remove it to make it easier. I used sandpaper made for metal. Also a wire brush. Mothers aluminum polish is the best for this job. I have tried others. Mothers has a fine grit in the polish to finely smooth the metal as it polishes.

Also, it will not rust, just will show water spots. I have to re-polish it to bring out the shine after washing the car. But I also have the louvered shield removed so you can see right down to the shield and red valve cover. Looks mean when standing in front of the car with that crappy hood vent removed.

yeah mothers! dude you HAVE to come to the next meet :headbang: thursdays at 8:15p.m. at the in n out !!!!

SinCityEvo Jan 19, 2004 09:30 PM

I'll try and be there.

Another free (relatively) cosmetic mod I did was to buy some colored electrical tape. I chose red. I rewrapped all existing wires that were wrapped in black, especially those over the intake manifold. Looks great. I need a camera, but maybe Vegasboy can snap a shot. It compliments my red colored grounding wire kit.

vegasboy301 Jan 19, 2004 09:47 PM

sweet, make it to the next meet and ill take my camera. but make it.

i like the heat sheild, and yes i got it after you sincity. but make it on thursday

solarxclipse Jan 19, 2004 10:28 PM

Wowsers, those are so shiny. Nice job you got there. Any infos on how, what and where to buy the stuff you used to make it shiny? Can you share some details. Thanks from all of us.:D

SilverEvo8owner Jan 19, 2004 10:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hmmm

Looks like mine!

Id paint the rivets that hold the clip for the O2 sensor wire

They will rust

vegasboy301 Jan 19, 2004 10:55 PM

Originally posted by solarxclipse
Wowsers, those are so shiny. Nice job you got there. Any infos on how, what and where to buy the stuff you used to make it shiny? Can you share some details. Thanks from all of us.:D
yeah mothers chrome polish and some metal soft sponge, (kind for waching dishes) yeah and spent about an hour on it. it get tricky in some parts

Originally posted by SilverEvo8owner
Hmmm

Looks like mine!

Id paint the rivets that hold the clip for the O2 sensor wire

They will rust

yeah that was by far the most difficult part to clean, yeah i might just have to do something about those rivets {thumbup} thanks

SinCityEvo Jan 19, 2004 11:05 PM

What I used:
*Sanding block, foam core (multi-purpose use on metals and wood) from Home Depot. I used 2 of them.
*Small wire brush for tough spots where black paint would not come off.
*Some paint thinner to aid in removal of black heat shield paint.
*Mothers Mag & Aluminum Polish. (comes in jar)
*Lots of shop towels to polish and buff.
*latex gloves if you want to keep your hands clean

I did it by hand, but a Dremmel with a polishing bit would help I'm sure. You have to remove the black paint on the shield to reveal the nice bare metal underneath. It takes a couple hours to remove the finish and polish and then you can polish even more if you have time. Looks 100x better than that flat black finish. Mitsu should have left it unpainted.

Also polish that upper I.C. pipe. As you can see on SilverEvo8owner's pic, it looks custom. That's much easier to polish since there is no paint to remove.

I would love to polish the FMIC end tanks, but don't want to remove the bumper. It would polish nicely though.

vegasboy301 Jan 19, 2004 11:10 PM

yes the upper i.c. pipe is fun, i kinda polished it a bit in my second pic. yeah

solarxclipse Jan 19, 2004 11:16 PM

Thanks man. I'll probably do this after work tomorrow. This is awesome work.

Satori Jan 20, 2004 12:00 AM

The heat shield on my Eclipse GS-T came bare, one day i tried to polish it like that. Looked great for a while but if you don't keep on it regularly it starts to look horrible. Ended up painting it.

Think I'll leave the one on the evo alone :D

boostedwrx Jan 20, 2004 12:15 AM

looks like an old dsm shield now. Yea it will rust

vegasboy301 Jan 20, 2004 06:37 AM

SilverEvo8owner and SinCityEvo, how long have you had yours, and will they rust?

vegasboy301 Jan 20, 2004 06:39 AM

Originally posted by vegasboy301
SilverEvo8owner and SinCityEvo, how long have you had yours, and will they rust?

and how about i put some anti-rust stuff on it?

SinCityEvo Jan 20, 2004 09:19 AM

Alex, we live in the desert. It's bone dry and I have seen zero rust or oxidation after 5 months. Maybe if I lived in a different area of the country I would worry. It does need polishing once in a while to keep a nice shine. But I like cleaning things and it gives me something to do.

If I notice it starts to look bad and I can't keep up with it, there are nice polished shields by ARC and Cusco that you can buy for about $160.

One thing I do notice is the extreme heat has changed to color of it to like a shiney purple color in some spots. Looks good. Sort of like titanium when exposed to heat.

Secret Chimp Jan 20, 2004 10:11 AM

Looks good. Paint the top surface with a clear coat enamel to keep it from rusting. Though that paint may not hold up to the heat...esp in NV....

SC~

vegasboy301 Jan 20, 2004 01:57 PM

ok thanks guys

gonzo Jan 20, 2004 06:31 PM

Wow 50 bucks a lick. You whore. :lol: Daddy making your work for the car now. :lol: Just ****ing with you man! I want to get mine coated along with the manifold.

yeah, ok guys. $50 bucks a lick. lol. we will talk about it @ the next meet!!!

vegasboy301 Jan 20, 2004 06:52 PM

haha, sweet that would look killer.

SilverEvo8owner Jan 20, 2004 08:35 PM

Ive had it done for at least 4 months and never had any rusting issues except for those rivets

I had my louvers out for 3 months even through the rain and ive gone throught winter so far without any rusting.

It WONT rust but youll have to polish every once in a while

vegasboy301 Jan 20, 2004 08:44 PM

Originally posted by SilverEvo8owner

It WONT rust but youll have to polish every once in a while

ok sweet {thumbup}

AD_LIB Jan 21, 2004 10:20 PM

thats nice, i prefer titanium :) ...http://www.directimagehost.com/is.ph...roject_evo.jpg

BA

vegasboy301 Jan 21, 2004 10:22 PM

very very very nice. i got one of those on my wish list :D

inariv5573 Jan 22, 2004 12:54 PM

I was wondering if the same polishing technique can be used on titanium? I am getting the Greddy catback and want to get it shiny.:)

vegasboy301 Jan 22, 2004 06:57 PM

i dont know, is the titanium rusting?

stvbreal Jan 22, 2004 07:14 PM

I have also had the heat sheild polished for quite some time now. Hey Chris, how long
has it been? That day you installed the grounding kit. I think I had it done then. No heat
exxtractor on the hood either. Things seem to be quite clean and rust-free.

http://www.ronjohnsonphotography.com/dump/pic5.jpg

I sure hope titanium would not rust. That's one of it's strong points.

inariv5573 Jan 22, 2004 09:00 PM

Who said anything about rusting. I was asking if the same technique can be used to get titanium polished and shiny.

solarxclipse Jan 22, 2004 10:40 PM

Thanks Vegasboy for this awesome idea

After 2 hours of cleaning, our Evo's heatshield comes out from its true color. Thanks to Vegasboy's briliant discovery. {thumbup}

http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/we...MXk1NDE%3D.jpg

SinCityEvo Jan 22, 2004 11:32 PM

Solar, now do the upper IC pipe. Vegasboy may post a pic of my engine bay to show how shiney it can get.

solarxclipse Jan 22, 2004 11:43 PM

Cool, thanks bro. I'll probably do that later when I get bored again.:D

SinCityEvo Jan 23, 2004 01:17 AM

I was thinking of removing the front bumper and trying to polish the FMIC end tanks. That would look sweet and look aftermarket. I have no money for mods right now and it will give me something to do this weekend. I'm afraid that it may look good until it gets wet and spots up and eventually dulls and then I would have to remove the bumper to get to it. I don't know.

What do you guys think? Is it worth it?

vegasboy301 Jan 27, 2004 09:37 PM

damn tom, i gotgot to take a pic. go on thursday to the meet and ill take a picture. GO thogh

SinCityEvo Jan 27, 2004 09:42 PM

Alex, didn't do it yet. Maybe this week. I probably will be there thursday.

mifesto Jan 27, 2004 09:55 PM

so the heatshield can be removed just with 3 bolts?

SilverEvo8owner Jan 27, 2004 09:58 PM

yes just three

vegasboy301 Jan 27, 2004 10:00 PM

Originally posted by mifesto
so the heatshield can be removed just with 3 bolts?
yup takes about 30 seconds with a socket wrench. make sure its not hot tho

SinCityEvo Jan 27, 2004 10:18 PM

First time removal, they are a little tight. Tap your socket wrench with a hammer if you can't get it by hand.

vegasboy301 Jan 27, 2004 10:56 PM

yeah, i will do a how to tomorow. so i guess you can look forward to it. ill do it with pictures