EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Evo Show / Shine (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-show-shine-86/)
-   -   *** Official Plasti Dip/Flat/Matte Evos Thread *** [MERGED] (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-show-shine/641986-official-plasti-dip-flat-matte-evos-thread-merged.html)

Raistlin Mar 4, 2011 12:57 PM

So I Plasti Dip'ed my wheels today

18 Attachment(s)
Stock

Attachment 316623

Taped

Attachment 316624

First coat still wet

Attachment 316625

Dry finish

Attachment 316626

On the car (a small photo shoot)

Attachment 316627

Attachment 316628

Attachment 316629

Attachment 316630

Attachment 316631

Attachment 316632

Attachment 316633

Attachment 316634

Attachment 316635

Attachment 316636

Attachment 316637

Attachment 316638

Attachment 316639

Attachment 316640

This is the first time I have done this. I made a few mistakes but I mostly want to see how long the stuff can last and how it holds up. The next time I will correct the minor issues I caused myself.

Other than that I think it makes the car look better and certainly the wheels since the previous owner used some pretty harsh stuff on a couple of them that left them looking bad in areas.

wazzelby Mar 4, 2011 01:05 PM

Interesting idea. I think it would have looked better in any color other than black though.

jtinautogear Mar 4, 2011 01:08 PM

Looks good

goodhart Mar 4, 2011 01:12 PM

I'm interested in seeing how durable this can be. Wouldn't mind experimenting with my stock MR wheels some day.

Raistlin Mar 4, 2011 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by wazzelby (Post 9129466)
Interesting idea. I think it would have looked better in any color other than black though.

You can get other colors. I happen to like the black and silver look.

http://www.plastidip.com/industrial_...ons/Plasti_Dip

I was talking about it with a guy at work a week or so ago and a few days after that a thread popped up here. By that time i had already bought the cans and was waiting for the day.

I three thick coats so I used just barely over three cans. It evens out as it dries. You do one coat and wait 30 min. to do another coat then four hours to dry.

Raistlin Mar 4, 2011 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by jtinautogear (Post 9129484)
Looks good

Raistlin Mar 4, 2011 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by goodhart (Post 9129503)
I'm interested in seeing how durable this can be. Wouldn't mind experimenting with my stock MR wheels some day.

It is completely reversible as it just peels right off.

I was going to see how well it holds up. The Evo is not my DD anymore bit I still get it out and drive the back roads.

BlackSE Mar 4, 2011 01:17 PM

I think it looks good. How easy is it to get that stuff off at the end tho?

rgonyer Mar 4, 2011 01:17 PM

Looks great!

Raistlin Mar 4, 2011 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by BlackSE (Post 9129522)
I think it looks good. How easy is it to get that stuff off at the end tho?

When I was getting the taped diamond off the center cap it seems to peel off without much issue.

There are a bunch of videos on YouTube that show people taking it off. I want to see how well it lasts on back roads and a wash.

As I said in the OP I made a few minor errors this time around but learned from it and it is fixable so not harm no foul.

Raistlin Mar 4, 2011 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by rgonyer (Post 9129523)
Looks great!

I love the flat black wheel look.

evo9nuuub Mar 4, 2011 01:59 PM

{pick} WHHHYYYYYYY

Raistlin Mar 4, 2011 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by evo9nuuub (Post 9129638)
{pick} WHHHYYYYYYY

Why not?

Nothing permanent and I like the black wheel look, besides the wheels look worse up close without the coating, thanks to the previous owner.

Powder coating costs a fortune and has more down time. This can be removed and a different color if one wanted.

Or is it only when one spends a ton of money on things that it makes it desirable?

Have a nice day by the way.

SwishaSweet Mar 4, 2011 02:18 PM

Been there done that the reason why evonub is trippin is your wheels are going to be chipped and nasty looking in no time. I even went a step farther and sanded my stockers and removed the stickers and they still chipped like crazy with the "wheel paint" and the clear coat as directed. Rattle cans are for arts and crafts, the wheels simply take too much abuse.

Raistlin Mar 4, 2011 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by SwishaSweet (Post 9129691)
Been there done that the reason why evonub is trippin is your wheels are going to be chipped and nasty looking in no time. I even went a step farther and sanded my stockers and removed the stickers and they still chipped like crazy with the "wheel paint" and the clear coat as directed. Rattle cans are for arts and crafts, the wheels simply take too much abuse.

Plasti Dip

It peels off. If they start to look "chipped" (hard to do when it is rubberized finish, but possible) I can peel it off. No sanding needed, no finishing it with a clear coat. None of that.

This is an experiment. You people "trip out" far too easily without reading things properly.

:lol:

Multi-purpose air dry, synthetic rubber coating that can be easily applied by spraying, brushing or dipping. Plasti Dip resists moisture, acids, abrasion, corrosion, skidding/slipping, and provides a comfortable, controlled grip. Plasti Dip protective coating remains flexible, stretchy and will not become brittle or crack in extreme weather conditions; -30°F to 200°F. Available in 7.25-oz Can, 11-oz Aerosol, 14.5-oz Can, 1 Gal, 5 Gal, 50-Gal Drum - UV and Fluorescent Formulas Available in 1 Gal, 5 Gal, 50-Gal Drum.

http://www.plastidip.com/industrial_...ons/Plasti_Dip