Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Bent Work Emotions!!!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2005, 11:03 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Bent Work Emotions!!!

OK. Let me start off by saying that I am so pissed off right now.

I ordered a set of Work Emotions from Francis @ A-Spec Products (www.aspecproducts.com). Today I take the wheels to Discount Tire to have my Advan Neovas mounted, and they find out that two of the wheels are not round on the inside rim. I went and watched them try to balance them and sure enough, you can see the inside rim oscillate very obviously on two of the wheels. The other two wheels were perfect and didn't require any weights!!!

So I've called, emailed, and PM'ed Francis @ Aspec so we'll see how smoothly this is handled.

What sucks is that I have a track event this weekend, which I need these wheels for.

Has anyone had a similar expereince, or have any general advice? I'm just so f***ing pissed right now, I can't even begin.

Luffy
Old Sep 14, 2005, 11:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Honestly, Pirate King, this would have to be between you and the vendor, unfortunately. Hopefully they can help you out and not go through shipping insurance or crap like that.

put the Neovas on your stock Evo wheels! Are they bigger sizes?

I'd be pissed also if I missed a track day because of crap like that.
Old Sep 14, 2005, 11:53 AM
Evolved Member

Mine were damanged when I got them.. I also haven't been able to get the balanced perfectly. It could be the shop I'm using is full of noobs.
Old Sep 14, 2005, 01:42 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
yeah **** happens.. sometimes wheels get damaged because of shipping negligence from freight carriers. Was it insured? should be able to file a claim against that freight carrier.
Old Sep 14, 2005, 03:09 PM
Evolving Member

Update

Well, I got in contact with Francis @ ASPEC and he was very helpful. He walked me through what we have to do to get them replaced. He's going to try to overnight me a new pair so that I can still do the track event! Now that's service!

I measured the diameter of the inside lip on both deformed wheels, and the diameter varies by 1/16th of an inch! The outside rim is symmetrical all the way around. So obviously this is bad news. And since I had two wheels that were identically deformed, I wonder if Work had a bad batch? That would suck for them...

I'll keep you guys updated with how this turns out.

Luffy
Old Sep 14, 2005, 03:10 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by rsboy
Honestly, Pirate King, this would have to be between you and the vendor, unfortunately. Hopefully they can help you out and not go through shipping insurance or crap like that.

put the Neovas on your stock Evo wheels! Are they bigger sizes?

I'd be pissed also if I missed a track day because of crap like that.
The Works are 17x8 (stock size), so I could put the Neovas on the Enkeis, but I don't want too!

Luffy
Old Sep 15, 2005, 02:24 AM
Evolving Member

bump
Old Sep 15, 2005, 02:39 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Luffy
bump
For what???
Old Sep 15, 2005, 08:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dude
For what???

Read his sig.

Old Sep 15, 2005, 09:13 AM
Evolved Member

I saw another pair badly bent in person..guys should have gone with the rotas.. how come the knocks offs dont bend?
Old Sep 15, 2005, 09:26 AM
Evolved Member

Probably because most of them dont ship from 34324234 miles away.
Old Sep 15, 2005, 10:51 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by justchil
Probably because most of them dont ship from 34324234 miles away.
they are actually coming from further away i believe... plus its funny cause there are maybe 20x as many rotas as real work wheels out there yet i dont hear any complaints about the knock offs bending..to me that seems like there is something going on with their production process.. whats the deal?
Old Sep 15, 2005, 11:09 AM
Evolving Member

just 'cause

bump...just 'cause i feel like it

yeah...i'm really PO'ed because I went with Work because I didn't want to get the cheap a$$ Rota (because i though they were crap). but apparently i was mistaken.

i just can't believe that out of the 4 wheels i ordered, 2 were not round!!! WTF? Work obviously has some bad cast molds, because there is no way 2 out of 4 would be bad just by 2 single "mistakes". BS.

I measured the two "not-round" wheels and the diameter of the inside lip varied by 1/16th of an inch depending on the spot. Again, WTF?

Luffy
Old Sep 15, 2005, 12:32 PM
Account Disabled

I saw the pictures and sure enough the wheel diameters are different. We inspect each and every wheel that we ship out. Actually, we inspect each wheel when we pick them up from the manufacturer/importer.

Furthermore, we always pack every wheel VERY carefully making sure to double box and use the proper packing materials. We have NEVER had a wheel damaged in freight and they always leave our warehouse in factory condition.

That being said, we always ensure our packages with the shipping carrier to their full value.

Going back and forth with Work, initial guesses point to it being factory defective wheels. It may have been a bad batch or something like that. There is no real way to tell upon visual inspection that the wheel was uneven.

Anyhow, we've gone through great effort to get this situation sorted out for Luffy. He has been VERY cooperative and been a pleasure to deal with.

Just waiting to hear the official word from Work as to what they want to do...

Regards,

Francis@aspec
Old Sep 15, 2005, 05:34 PM
Account Disabled

FWIW we had a similar situation with a set of Evo wheels once - Work Japan took care of it as quickly as they could and had them replaced

it happens to EVERY wheel manufacturer at some point - I have had it happen with the cheapest up to the most expensive, from cast to forged to multipiece.

And when you nail that pothole at 80mph (as I did in my car), you'll be happy you had a Work wheel on there and not a Rota. Rota's are good for what they are - an inexpensive knock off based wheel that is great for the occassional track day or for snow tires, etc. The casting technology is in a different league from Work though.

Quick Reply: Bent Work Emotions!!!