Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

The Truth About Ohlins R/T Coilovers

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2006, 04:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
The Truth About Ohlins R/T Coilovers

As everyone knows the Ohlins Road/Track coilovers are not available at this time. Some are guessing mid-June for availability. Here is my recent experience.

I sent out my Ohlins coilovers to have them revalved and to get some different springs installed. This facility has a lot of experience working on Ohlins for CART or IRL teams (I don't know what the series is called anymore). They have worked on our Ohlins R/T shocks before, also. Turns out they couldn't get them opened up because of corrosion (so they say), so they are sending them back to me unchanged. They didn't want to bash on them too hard because if they broke something there are no replacements available at this time.

Here are a few things I was told by them, and I'm hoping someone can confirm or deny this. Thanks!

1) The R/T model is the only model of Ohlins shocks that are made in Japan
2) Ohlins partnered up with a Japanese manufacturer (building to Ohlins specs) to offer these as a more affordable line of shocks than the others they make in Sweden.
3) This partnership has dissolved, hence the recent supply problem.
4) This facility is in talks with Ohlins and the Japanese manufacturer trying to come to an agreement to get the R/T back in production.
5) The components of the R/T are not available individually. If you strip the threads, bend a shaft, etc. you are basically S.O.L
6) They need a completely different set of tools to work on the Japanese R/T shocks as they do for all other (Swedish-made) Ohlins.

So now here is where the gears in my head started turning and some ideas/theories popped up.

- If the Jap company drops the Ohlins name and builds the same shock, maybe the price will fall ? ? ?
- If the Jap company is private labeling for Ohlins, maybe they sell the exact same shocks under a different brand name ? ? ?
- If I have the shock dyno graphs, valving specs, and spring rates from the facility - can I give this info to another shock builder and use a different brand shock but get the exact same performance that I would have had with the Ohlins (at or below the Ohlins cost) ? ? ?

Anyone "in the know" please feel free to comment. Thanks!

EVOlutionary
Old May 3, 2006, 04:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You are the only one that has posted any real answer about the R/T supply problem.

I hope that someone that really knows the answers to your questions is willing to answer.

Have you seen the post that WORKS is the only authorized service center in the US?

The thread is here:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...08#post3057008

BTW both CART and IRL are active open wheel racing series'.

Last edited by chmodlf; May 3, 2006 at 04:47 PM.
Old May 3, 2006, 04:48 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not sure..

The company that does OHLINS in Japan is Carrozzeria

I am not sure if if the R/T model exists in Japan..

Here is a link of their OHLINS lineup for most Japanese Car applications.

http://www.carrozzeriajapan.co.jp/ohlins/4w/index.html

I am guessing your setup is the equivelent to their DFV setup?
Old May 3, 2006, 05:11 PM
Evolving Member

May not be corrosion, could be the loctite they used.
Old May 3, 2006, 07:09 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by chmodlf
You are the only one that has posted any real answer about the R/T supply problem.
I hope that someone that really knows the answers to your questions is willing to answer.
Have you seen the post that WORKS is the only authorized service center in the US?

BTW both CART and IRL are active open wheel racing series'.
Works specifically says they are the only authorized service center on the West Coast. The place I am dealing with is in the midwest. I checked and they do work for race teams in IRL, CART, Toyota Atlantic, SCCA, PSCR and IMSA racing.

Originally Posted by Speed Element
Not sure..
The company that does OHLINS in Japan is Carrozzeria . . .
Is this the company that actually manufactures the shocks in Japan. It doesn't really look like it from their website, looks like they are a main distributor or something.

Originally Posted by evoracerx
May not be corrosion, could be the loctite they used.
I would hope that they would not seal up a shock they are rebuilding with permanent loctite.

EVOlutionary
Old May 3, 2006, 07:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Have you tried contacting Ohlins in North Carolina?

They do all of the Nascar stuff and are usually pretty on the ball. If nothing else they may be able to verify the info you have already recieved.

Here is their contact info:

Öhlins USA, Inc.
703-C Old Spartanburg Road
Hendersonville, NC 28792

Tel: 828-692-4525
Fax: 828-692-0595
Old May 3, 2006, 07:20 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks, didn't think about that. I will call them tomorrow.
Old May 3, 2006, 07:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
They are also actual Ohlins employes not, just people who work for another company and are certified to rebuild them. So they may be a little more in the loop for getting parts or rebuilding your dampener.
Old May 3, 2006, 07:36 PM
Evolved Member

EVOlutionary, can you please PM me the place and contact info of the shop you're dealing with in the MidWest.

thanks
Old May 3, 2006, 07:46 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EVOlutionary
As everyone knows the Ohlins Road/Track coilovers are not available at this time. Some are guessing mid-June for availability. Here is my recent experience.

I sent out my Ohlins coilovers to have them revalved and to get some different springs installed. This facility has a lot of experience working on Ohlins for CART or IRL teams (I don't know what the series is called anymore). They have worked on our Ohlins R/T shocks before, also. Turns out they couldn't get them opened up because of corrosion (so they say), so they are sending them back to me unchanged. They didn't want to bash on them too hard because if they broke something there are no replacements available at this time.

Here are a few things I was told by them, and I'm hoping someone can confirm or deny this. Thanks!

2) Ohlins partnered up with a Japanese manufacturer (building to Ohlins specs) to offer these as a more affordable line of shocks than the others they make in Sweden.
4) This facility is in talks with Ohlins and the Japanese manufacturer trying to come to an agreement to get the R/T back in production.
5) The components of the R/T are not available individually. If you strip the threads, bend a shaft, etc. you are basically S.O.L
6) They need a completely different set of tools to work on the Japanese R/T shocks as they do for all other (Swedish-made) Ohlins.

So now here is where the gears in my head started turning and some ideas/theories popped up.

- If the Jap company drops the Ohlins name and builds the same shock, maybe the price will fall ? ? ?
- If the Jap company is private labeling for Ohlins, maybe they sell the exact same shocks under a different brand name ? ? ?
- If I have the shock dyno graphs, valving specs, and spring rates from the facility - can I give this info to another shock builder and use a different brand shock but get the exact same performance that I would have had with the Ohlins (at or below the Ohlins cost) ? ? ?

Anyone "in the know" please feel free to comment. Thanks!

EVOlutionary
Call ROBISPEC....he will give you the straight scoop on the RT's and alot more!
Old May 3, 2006, 08:20 PM
EvoM Guru

they have several different models

yes and no (that's a bit of conjecture). They specialize in popular JM cars

No, the supply problem is caused by a change of manufacturing facilities

see above

Haven't worn anything out to check that yet in two years but most of the parts are interchangeable with other Ohlins

No, we use the same basic stuff we use for other Ohlins and Penskes, JRZs, Protracs and Motons

BTW consider sending them to us after you get them back (from Motorsport Spares?).

Also BTW Michael Adair please have Robi enlighten us all!

take care,
Paul
Old May 3, 2006, 10:16 PM

Just to add to what Paul is saying here with what I know. For credibility, I am the one revalving the R&T's for Vishnu/PG. I know the Ohlins line fairly well, having either tested or rebuilt the majority of their product line, including 5-way shimless shocks not available to the general public. Teams include, ChampCar, Atlantic, World Challenge, Rally-America, to name a few. As I stated in another thread, Ohlins and other top companies allow the end user to tune and service their products, but you do need to know what you're doing and have the proper tools. I know some of the guys at Motorsport Spares Inc and Ohlins-USA, these are the only two official service centers in the country. The way they divide it up, Ohlins-USA does everything that turns only left and/or has two wheels, MSI does everything else. There are numerous Ohlins "certified" service shops around the country, WORKS is not the only one on the west coast, I know of three others off-hand. I am not Ohlins "certified" but have been around their product long enough with people that are, along with many other shocks to know what I'm doing.

From the Japanese website, Carrozerria is the official Ohlins distributor in Japan. They do not manufacture the R&T's or Flag series there, they assemble them. The internals: piston, needles, shims, are genuine Ohlins parts. I don't know for sure who makes the actual shock bodies. I am unaware of what is going on with that company and why there is a delay in shipments, but I hope to have some news on Monday, as all of Japan is on holiday right now. BTW, the only official Swedish Ohlins product for the EVO is the GroupN rally damper.

To answer some other questions, I have never seen a set of these ever corrode. I ran into one set that was loctited like no one ever wanted it coming apart, but that's it. If you have all the shock specs, you can't use it on another shock. The pistons are different and this is the major contributor to the shape of the curve. Ohlins and Penske for instance have patents on all their designs. It would take a lot of development work to do what you're asking. There are other details that allow different shocks with identical F/V curves to perform drastically different, but that's another discussion.
Old May 4, 2006, 07:50 AM

There are other details that allow different shocks with identical F/V curves to perform drastically different, but that's another discussion.

That would be an interesting topic.
Old May 4, 2006, 08:45 AM
Evolved Member

Thank you gentlemen for all the information. I guess I will wait till more shocks are available and give them another shot at revalving 'em. If they are locktited beyond repair then I guess I will deal with that situation at that time.

Thanks Paul for the offer to work on my Ohlins. As you can imagine, many hours and lots of $$ of R & D went into getting them setup the way they are. I did not do or pay for any of that. I am lucky enough to have been granted permission to use these specs by the "owner" of this particular setup with the condition that any information I learn be kept in strictest confidence. The fewer people who know the details, the less the likelihood of losing whatever competitive advantage this suspension setup currently gives.

I do find it odd that I was told that the place didn't have the tools to depressurize and rebuild the "Japanese-made shocks". Even though the have worked on this specific set in the past. Hmmmm. . .

BTW, I heard that MSI's track support semi and trailer were involved in a bad accident (overturned) on it's way to the upcoming GP of Houston.

EVOlutionary

Last edited by EVOlutionary; May 4, 2006 at 08:50 AM.
Old May 4, 2006, 09:07 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Michael Adair
Call ROBISPEC....he will give you the straight scoop on the RT's and alot more!
pretty interesting statement, considering he's a direct competitor with a well documented history of getting into pissing matches (good natured or not) with the guys selling the r/t setup. think about it.

not to take anything away from robi or his opinions, but get real.

Quick Reply: The Truth About Ohlins R/T Coilovers