Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Want to upgrade/get new rotors, need some recommendations!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2006, 12:03 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Want to upgrade/get new rotors, need some recommendations!

I'm sick of hearing my Evo squeal whenever I hit the brakes.

They've been replaced (OEM) and resurfaced with new Hawk HPS pads and they still squeal like a mother.

So I decided it would be a good excuse for a mild rotor upgrade.

What I'm looking for isn't too extreme. I don't AutoX a lot (every now & then) doesn't have to be cross-drilled and/or slotted. I just want them to STOP SQUEALING!

I was thinking of getting the Girodisc evo 2-piece rotors as a replacement.
Old Jun 29, 2006, 12:21 AM
Evolved Member

Have you tried using some anti sieze and some shims?
Old Jun 29, 2006, 12:24 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Compjoc
Have you tried using some anti sieze and some shims?
Yup done both.
Old Jun 29, 2006, 12:31 AM
Evolved Member

Getting all new brakes is a pretty expensive solution and the squealing could start up again with the new ones. I had bad squealing when i first got my ferodo 2500's. After a ~1000 miles it went away.
Old Jun 29, 2006, 12:39 AM
Evolving Member

I've had squealing a month or 2 after I've owned the car when it was still all stock.

On stock pads & rotors.

I want to replace my rotors too cause they've been re-surfaced once already and I don't know how much I would trust them still.
Old Jun 29, 2006, 12:47 AM
Evolved Member

Gotcha,

Girodisc are some of the best rotors out there but if your evo is mostly street driven, they might me a little overkill.

R1 Concepts have some good rotors at great prices(PM for best price).
http://www.r1concepts.com/
Old Jun 29, 2006, 12:50 AM
Evolved Member

Also, check out these guys. http://www.racingbrake.com/
Old Jun 29, 2006, 12:56 AM
Evolving Member

I just e-mailed a few places I found while going through a few threads here.

It seems RotorPros are a pretty decent choice for a replacement with a good price too, so I'm going to wait & see what kind of price quote they give me.

My other option I just found are the Centric slotted rotors on Gruppe-S's website.
Old Jun 29, 2006, 08:43 AM
Evolved Member

I have the Girodisc Rotors and Ferodo DS-2500 pads (around $1,650.00 for the 4-wheel kit)

As laong as you use the factory stainless shims and put "Disc Brake Quiet" in the pads when you do the install, they will be quiet.

Good luck.
Old Jun 29, 2006, 10:28 AM

I just picked up the two piece slotted rotors from racing brake. They look sweet (I am putting them on the car this weekend with DS2500 pads). They weigh as advertised at 19 lbs (about 3 lbs less than stock) and if you tell them you are on this website, they will give you a nice discount off their advertised prices. I'll let you know how they feel after install but so far, me likey.

-John
Old Jun 29, 2006, 10:30 AM
Evolved Member

2-piece rotors would be the last thing you should look at if squeeling is your problem.
Old Jun 29, 2006, 10:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by jbrown
As long as you use the factory stainless shims and put "Disc Brake Quiet" in the pads when you do the install, they will be quiet.

Good luck.
+1 ... this is 100% true. A lot of people that get squealing brakes are ones that don't reuse their factory shims. The Hawk HPS pads are not as aggressive as the Ferodo DS2500 so they shouldn't squeal as long as you do the above and bed them in properly. I personally use Ferodo DS2500 and haven't had any squealing issues, on the other had I know people that didn't do the above and got squealing on the Ferodo DS2500 pads. Infact someone I know with aggressive street/race pads was able to cut down on the amount of squealing just by doing the above. The more aggressive the pad the more they will squeal, it's just the nature of the beast.

I see the "laughing man phenomenon" is starting to invade the EVO forums ...

Last edited by DaWorstPlaya; Jun 29, 2006 at 10:59 AM.
Old Jul 3, 2006, 06:15 PM

Ok, installed the Racing Brake 2 piece slotted rotors, Ferodo DS 2500 pads, and ATE superblue fluid in my 03 Evo. I LOVE IT!!!!!! I had previously used Hawk HPS pads with stock rotors and they were OK and with the stock setup before that, despite multiple bedding attempts and sanding the rotors, I could not shake the deadly pulsations.

With this new combo, NO PULSATIONS, NO SQUEELING, NO RATTLING, just solid pedal feel with the grip of an eagle's talons. I am one happy camper (never thought I would get so excited over brakes) . Anyway, they look great, they are indeed 3 lbs lighter than stock, and they are very reasonably priced. Definitely a great combo. Hope this helps.

-John
Old Jul 4, 2006, 03:46 PM
Evolving Member

I have the Stoptech Stage II on my car purchased from one of our vendors here - SpeedElement.

Excellent upgrade. I get no squel whatsoever. All I got out of it was improved braking and better pedal feel.
Old Jul 4, 2006, 04:42 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kapolani
I have the Stoptech Stage II on my car purchased from one of our vendors here - SpeedElement.

Excellent upgrade. I get no squel whatsoever. All I got out of it was improved braking and better pedal feel.
I had this on my WRX and it was great...wanted to do it on the Evo but I haven't heard too many people ranting and raving about it like they do on the Subaru forums.

Quick Reply: Want to upgrade/get new rotors, need some recommendations!