Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.
View Poll Results: Which suspension setup should I get for my IX MR?
Vishnu Ohlins Setup
46.43%
Muellerized Ohlins Setup
53.57%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Vishnu Ohlins vs. Muellerized Ohlins

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2006, 02:57 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vishnu Ohlins vs. Muellerized Ohlins

So I've been doing a lot of research about suspension (although I still feel like a newb), and I've decided on Ohlins for my IX MR. But I'm unsure about how to proceed. I've narrowed it down to Vishnu or Muellerized. Vishnu has their "tweaked" Ohlins setup and Mueller has his Ohlins setup. My questions are for people who have either of these setups or fromt he vendors directly:

1. What's the difference between these two setups?
2. Is there a discernable advantage to one over the other?
3. Is there a shop in Texas competent enough to install either setup?
4. (and most importantly) Which one is faster?

Thanks in advance!

Luffy
Old Sep 14, 2006, 03:05 PM
Evolved Member

Location: Work - New York, Alaska, Mexico or the Caribbean. -Home - Tx Hill Country
You probably won't find an answer to 1,2, or 4 because I doubt anyone has actually driven the same car with each system.

3. Bill at Soul Speed on Lamar in Austin is a very well respected suspension guy. He is the only guy recommended to me and does a bunch of the top local autocrossers and SCCA guys.
Old Sep 14, 2006, 03:11 PM
Evolved Member

Muellerized wins all the time. Something like 12 consective road race wins.
Old Sep 14, 2006, 03:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
no one even comes close when it comes to setting up suspensions. the wins speak for themselves. muellerized owns all, not even close to a contest.
Old Sep 14, 2006, 04:14 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Lancer EVO IX
no one even comes close when it comes to setting up suspensions. the wins speak for themselves. muellerized owns all, not even close to a contest.
x2
Old Sep 14, 2006, 06:59 PM
Evolved Member

Mueller's shop does nothing but chassis and suspension work. So, that's what he does all day long and he has an extensive road racing brackground.
Old Sep 17, 2006, 03:05 PM
Evolved Member

Something to think about is service and support after the sale. Unless you are a suspension wiz, you'll have questions about setups. Who will answer them?
Old Sep 18, 2006, 07:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
You probably also need to think about being set up for the track or street (i.e. street tires vs. race tires). Mueller probably has setups for each. Ask Vishnu what their setup is tuned for.
Old Sep 19, 2006, 10:11 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by spdracerut
You probably also need to think about being set up for the track or street (i.e. street tires vs. race tires). Mueller probably has setups for each. Ask Vishnu what their setup is tuned for.
Vishnu comes set for both with recommended click setting and alignment specs for track and road as part of the package.

Another note for all talking about the road racing success of RRE remember that was all done on Motons not Ohlins. All the events successfully run and/or won by Vishnu (One Lap, Super Tuner, American Touge etc.) we all done on the exact same Ohlins kit sold to the customer that we are talking about here...
Old Sep 19, 2006, 11:32 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nutrulz
Muellerized wins all the time. Something like 12 consective road race wins.

What kind of road race?
Old Sep 21, 2006, 01:55 PM
Evolving Member

We will be posting DMS 40mm and OHLINS R/T testing shortly. Are you looking for a single, double or triple adjustable shock, and what is your main goal (use) ?

Many shops are saying they are using their own custom valving, some of them probably are. More often than not though is they use a specific spring and ride height setup with a specified setting on the shocks. I would not be surprised if both WORKS and Mullerized are using the same shock, different springs.

At the end of the day, it comes down to the driver, which shop is going to help you set up your car to your style and not say "this is the setting you need, learn to drive it like this"

As chronohunter mentioned, I do not believe Mueller has won anything on OHLINS recently. Some shops have claimed to run custom DMS valving at one point as well which I know for a fact we never sent anything different to any customer in North America than our standard units.

They key 99% of the time no matter what the shock is the shop that installs, and the setup he uses, as well as the information he provides you as a user to be able to adapt to your own driving style.

Best of luck in your quest!
-mark
Old Sep 23, 2006, 02:01 PM

I can't speak for Mueller, but I do the revalves on the Vishnu Ohlins. I don't know that Mueller or Robi do revalves, or whether they've come up with very good click settings in combination with ride height, springs, alignment, tire size etc. For Vishnu, we've done a full suspension geometry analysis for picking springs/tires and then developed custom damper curves for steering/roll response as well as bump control and harshness. I've worked with Paul (chronohunter) for well over a year now developing this setup. The 450/550 spring combo is Paul's daily setup, it also broke the local track record (street car) and is the exact same setup Vishnu used in previous time attacks. We give all the setup specs with purchase of a revalve. We have more aggressive setups for dedicated track cars, that are still "tolerable" for travelling to and from tracks. We don't promote this product based on "because we say it's best," instead we're trying to educate the consumer on how advanced suspension systems work so that they can make the best decision for themselves. You may have searched already, but there are many threads/posts by Paul and I doing our best to educate the public.
Old Sep 25, 2006, 08:59 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Djazair
I can't speak for Mueller, but I do the revalves on the Vishnu Ohlins. I don't know that Mueller or Robi do revalves, or whether they've come up with very good click settings in combination with ride height, springs, alignment, tire size etc. For Vishnu, we've done a full suspension geometry analysis for picking springs/tires and then developed custom damper curves for steering/roll response as well as bump control and harshness. I've worked with Paul (chronohunter) for well over a year now developing this setup. The 450/550 spring combo is Paul's daily setup, it also broke the local track record (street car) and is the exact same setup Vishnu used in previous time attacks. We give all the setup specs with purchase of a revalve. We have more aggressive setups for dedicated track cars, that are still "tolerable" for travelling to and from tracks. We don't promote this product based on "because we say it's best," instead we're trying to educate the consumer on how advanced suspension systems work so that they can make the best decision for themselves. You may have searched already, but there are many threads/posts by Paul and I doing our best to educate the public.

At the end of the day, I believe that this is what benifits a user the best. A driver / tuner needs to know what they are dealing with no matter what the combo. If a shop says ' use this, it is the best and works great ' but does not tell you what they are using, it is useless (as far as settings, etc. - for street users)

CHeers,
-mark
Old Sep 25, 2006, 10:14 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Djazair
We give all the setup specs with purchase of a revalve. We have more aggressive setups for dedicated track cars, that are still "tolerable" for travelling to and from tracks.
I like that a lot... I was surprised to know that many ppl who went to RRC for
simple things like alignment do not know their final alignment specs...
Old Sep 25, 2006, 01:55 PM
Evolving Member

muellerized ohlins

Quick Reply: Vishnu Ohlins vs. Muellerized Ohlins