Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.
View Poll Results: Which suspension setup should I get for my IX MR?
Vishnu Ohlins Setup
48.94%
Muellerized Ohlins Setup
51.06%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Vishnu Ohlins vs. Muellerized Ohlins

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2006, 03:12 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vishnu Ohlins vs. Muellerized Ohlins

So I've been doing a lot of research about suspension (although I still feel like a newb), and I've decided on Ohlins for my IX MR. But I'm unsure about how to proceed. I've narrowed it down to Vishnu or Muellerized. Vishnu has their "tweaked" Ohlins setup and Mueller has his Ohlins setup. My questions are for people who have either of these setups or fromt he vendors directly:

1. What's the difference between these two setups?
2. Is there a discernable advantage to one over the other?
3. Is there a shop in Texas competent enough to install either setup?
4. (and most importantly) Which one is faster?

Thanks in advance!

Luffy
Old Sep 14, 2006, 03:52 PM
Evolved Member

think you'll be able to tell the difference?

n
Old Sep 14, 2006, 04:38 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by nils
think you'll be able to tell the difference?

n
Oh that's just mean

While most people can't tell me exactly or technically why something is better almost everyone can say "oooh I like that" or "it turns easier" unless there is a big driving flaw involved (which I think is your point).

I think John (Muller) does a good job but goes about it in a different way (that he has developed and tested), I think our set-up has a bit more compliance in it which makes the breakaway characteristics smoother and slower which in turn makes the car easier to "feel" and therefore to drive it harder.

I'm big on compliance which means my stuff is generally softer (but very carefully dampened) so that the driver can comfortably and confidently push the car hard.

As I said John has his own take on what it takes to make and EVO fast (around the corners), just keep asking questions about what you want the car to do and maybe John will chime in and you can decide who's set-up suites your needs the best
Old Sep 14, 2006, 06:51 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by chronohunter
Oh that's just mean

While most people can't tell me exactly or technically why something is better almost everyone can say "oooh I like that" or "it turns easier" unless there is a big driving flaw involved (which I think is your point).

oh come on, I was being gentle

I smell a great suspension review coming.... headlines read "car feels great", 'it turns super'.... lol.

not knocking the suspensions, I know most guys out there wouldnt know the difference in reference to overall speed.

Luffy, instead of focusing on what is 'fastest' you need to explain your driving needs (ie: road conditions, sort of use, driving style preferences... and on) to get a system that will really benefit your joy of driving.

When you say fastest, what do you mean by that? fastest in a long sweeper or a really tight turn? fastest in a straight line? fastest sideways? You like your car loose? soft? stiff? tight? dont know what I am talking about? .. explain in your own words to us.

forget fastest, think happiest.

n
Old Sep 14, 2006, 07:48 PM
Evolving Member

Have you considered the Works Ohlins?
Old Sep 14, 2006, 08:16 PM
Evolving Member

Geez

Geez you guys are so uptight. I was being facetious (nils, see dictionary.com).

Thanks chronohunter for the info. Just to give you a point of reference, my car is a daily driver 95% of the time, and an autox car 5% of the time. So I would like to maintain the drivability of the stock setup, while increasing overall performace. As far as setup, I think you're right, I would prefer a more "compliant" setup. In other words, I want to the car to be easy to drive (I'm not going to be taking it to the track). But at the same time, I have the money so I want to get the best f-ing suspension I can get.

The other thing I noticed is that the Vishnu setup comes with bushings, camber plates, end-links, etc., while the Muellerized version doesn't, is that right? So I'm not just looking at how the coilovers compare, but rather the whole suspension system. I'm wanting to do a "full suspension" setup, not just coilovers.

I haven't talked to Shiv in a while, so I'll probably give him a call sometime next week, but I wanted to get a general sense of how people felt about the two different setups.

Luffy

Last edited by Luffy; Sep 14, 2006 at 08:21 PM.
Old Sep 14, 2006, 09:24 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Luffy
Geez you guys are so uptight. I was being facetious (nils, see dictionary.com).
that is a common question, hard to assume it was a facetious.

eitherway, it doesnt matter, you seem like a smart guy that knows what he wants. good luck, hope you find what you are looking for.

n
Old Sep 15, 2006, 06:10 AM
Evolved Member

Works, Vishnu, Mueller ... flip a coin (as long as you have a 3-sided coin)

I went with Works because they seemed to understand what I really wanted when I called them and really made me feel like they knew what hey were talking about.

I also called Mueller and Robispec, before Works in fact, but both took too long to get back to me. I never called Vishnu.
Old Sep 15, 2006, 05:30 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
I think with the offerings we have in suspension in the Evo community, you can't really go wrong.

Mueller is very good.
Robi is good.
Vishnu and Paul are good.
Works is good.

For me, it comes down who are you comfortable with spending your money with. I prefer nice people. That's why I like driving 80 miles to have Alfred at Tuning Technologies work on my car. He never makes you feel like a douchebag. While RRE is very knowledgable, I think there are some people there who are not the most customer friendly.

Personally, I am planning on going with Vishnu when I do upgrade my suspension. All I'm trying to say is consider more than just the shocks whn you purchase. Capice?
Old Sep 15, 2006, 06:21 PM
Evolving Member

Why not just buy the new Ohlins sportline edition that comes with 10K/8K springs, helper springs, front camber plates, rear pillowball mounts. They are actually the same as the JDM PCV Ohlins, and you can get them for less than $2400. Also same thing as the Works Stage III but $550 less.
Old Sep 15, 2006, 07:05 PM
Former Sponsor

Not sure about the Works, but the Vishnu is semi-custom (basically 3 different levels) and Mueller is full custom.
Old Sep 15, 2006, 08:34 PM
Evolving Member

I think that atlvalet hit it on the money when he is talking about the extra mile. We have numberous people who have the expertise to set up suspension to make our cars perform to there ability, but what defines it for most of us is the service and attention that the process requires. Some people be little you and thus you ask fewer "stupid" questions and end up getting something other than what you intended for yourself. Do the research, interview the tuners and find the fit for you and your driving style. That is my 2 cents.
Old Sep 15, 2006, 08:44 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by atlvalet
Not sure about the Works, but the Vishnu is semi-custom (basically 3 different levels) and Mueller is full custom.
FWIW Vishnu is full custom...
Old Sep 15, 2006, 08:51 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by chronohunter
FWIW Vishnu is full custom...
What I meant was you offer 3 trim levels (IIRC). Street, Street/Track, and Track. The valving is proprietary (obviously) so these aren't off the shelf units. Maybe what I should have said is that with Mueller you get a custom set-up (each one is different, however the shocks may be off-the-shelf units) and with Vishnu you get custom valving in 3 trim levels. Is that better?
Old Sep 15, 2006, 10:12 PM
Evolving Member

so is that true? ^

Quick Reply: Vishnu Ohlins vs. Muellerized Ohlins