Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Tire ratings

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2006, 09:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tire ratings

Does it make a big difference if 2 front tires has V rated tires and the 2 rear tires has Z rated tires (or vice versa)? I want to try using those V rated in place of the Z rated because those wears too fast. The issue is that 2 of my Z rated tires are still good. I don't know if it's gonna make a difference having different rated tires in the front and back. I know that I'm gonna lose some traction using that V rated tires.
Old Nov 3, 2006, 10:02 PM
Evolving Member

i don't think it's a good idea because different wear will mean different diameter and u won't be able to rotate front to back since you want to use them exclusively for the front, so u can't compensate for different diameter. of course you can vary tire pressure front to back, to compensate, but you'll never know for sure what the exact tire diameter is while you're driving. the reason that having excessive difference in front to back outer tire diameter is bad, is because the center diff will be constantly slipping and will wear out quicker.
Old Nov 5, 2006, 12:04 PM
Account Disabled

Great info thanks guys
Old Nov 6, 2006, 03:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the letter (speed) rating is not what you should be looking at for wear.

that'd be the TREADWEAR number the higher the better (longer lasting)
Old Nov 6, 2006, 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by WarmPepsi
the letter (speed) rating is not what you should be looking at for wear.

that'd be the TREADWEAR number the higher the better (longer lasting)
like he said. stock TREADWARE is 160. if u get sumthin like ~Bridgestone RE750s with TREADWARE of 340 they "should" last more than twice as long as the stockers. i would expect ~30,000 or so miles on an evo. they are pretty good for a stock replacement tire w/plenty of treadware and tirerack has them reasonable price. there are also plenty of 400 TREADWARE tires out there that are not as sticky, ie contiextremes, pzero nero, pilot a/s, etc. all of these tires are Z-rated and offer 40,000 miles +.
Old Nov 6, 2006, 01:32 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evo-mike
like he said. stock TREADWARE is 160. if u get sumthin like ~Bridgestone RE750s with TREADWARE of 340 they "should" last more than twice as long as the stockers. i would expect ~30,000 or so miles on an evo. they are pretty good for a stock replacement tire w/plenty of treadware and tirerack has them reasonable price. there are also plenty of 400 TREADWARE tires out there that are not as sticky, ie contiextremes, pzero nero, pilot a/s, etc. all of these tires are Z-rated and offer 40,000 miles +.
wear, like in the tires wear. treadWEAR.