Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Rear Sway bar added = rear end super squirrelly on ice

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2006, 11:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Rear Sway bar added = rear end super squirrelly on ice

Guys,

I recently installed the WORKS rear sway bar on the 9, and this huge ice storm sweeps across the area and coats everything in either a solid layer of ice, or a nice amount of slush/sleet. Since this is my DD, the evo pulls ice duty and did great in these conditions last year on the stock setup. But now:

From a suspension standpoint, I'm running with the WORKS MR ride springs w/ bumpstops, and the previously mentioned rear sway bar, in addition to my 18x9 wheels w/ Goodyear GD-whatever F1's (255/35/18's). A normal street setup for an evo. No problems with this on dry tarmac either --- the car would attack apex's with more tenacity after the rear sway bar install, and I thought all was fine and dandy.

Now for the ice and slush. When tracking down the highway at about 35-40 in the ruts that are clear, the rear end will --- for lack of a better term --- "wag" from side to side. Not the front mind you, it stays planted in the tracks, but the rear will toss from side to side, as if the diff is fighting for left/right side traction.

Obviously, if I slow down this will diminish, but get this: when the roads finally cleared, and the only remaining ice patches exist in the shadow of the overpasses, the rear end (upon contacting the ice) will immediately pull to the left, pointing the car slightly to the right until it's off the patch, like a second later.

I'm wondering if any of you have encountered this situation, or know of any possible issues I may need to check for with my setup.

Any information would be greatly appreciated!
Old Dec 1, 2006, 11:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tsurugi-san
Guys,

I recently installed the WORKS rear sway bar on the 9, and this huge ice storm sweeps across the area and coats everything in either a solid layer of ice, or a nice amount of slush/sleet. Since this is my DD, the evo pulls ice duty and did great in these conditions last year on the stock setup. But now:

From a suspension standpoint, I'm running with the WORKS MR ride springs w/ bumpstops, and the previously mentioned rear sway bar, in addition to my 18x9 wheels w/ Goodyear GD-whatever F1's (255/35/18's). A normal street setup for an evo. No problems with this on dry tarmac either --- the car would attack apex's with more tenacity after the rear sway bar install, and I thought all was fine and dandy.

Now for the ice and slush. When tracking down the highway at about 35-40 in the ruts that are clear, the rear end will --- for lack of a better term --- "wag" from side to side. Not the front mind you, it stays planted in the tracks, but the rear will toss from side to side, as if the diff is fighting for left/right side traction.

Obviously, if I slow down this will diminish, but get this: when the roads finally cleared, and the only remaining ice patches exist in the shadow of the overpasses, the rear end (upon contacting the ice) will immediately pull to the left, pointing the car slightly to the right until it's off the patch, like a second later.

I'm wondering if any of you have encountered this situation, or know of any possible issues I may need to check for with my setup.

Any information would be greatly appreciated!
There might be a chance that your alignment was thrown off when you did the springs. Might not have noticed it on dry pavement but the slippery conditions might amplify it.
Old Dec 1, 2006, 11:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check Alightment. Check hardware on sway bars, make sure everything is good and tight.
Old Dec 1, 2006, 11:40 AM
Evolved Member

Well, the alignment was done after the springs were installed, and the only thing that went on after that was the sway bar. I suppose the rear alignment could have been altered since I had to disconnect the lower control arms to do the install. Would lower control arms not be adjusted via the pivot bolt on the chassis? I'll have to check that.
Old Dec 1, 2006, 11:45 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Swaybars will do that.

1. Don't drive on ice/slush with summer tires (not directed at you, but anyone reading).

2. Disconnect your swaybar if you plan on doing a lot of ice/snow driving. Or just drive a lot slower.

- Andrew
Old Dec 1, 2006, 12:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Adding to what GTworx.com said you should try adjusting you sway bar to the softest setting (furthest most). This is will induce more understeer and if you haven't already, you should set your ACD to snow mode. It is very important to remember that as surface conditions change the handling characteristics of cars also change ... That is why we have ACD, at least the 05 and up do ....

Adding or adjusting a rear sway bar doesn't change your alignment settings. May be it would be wise for you to invest in an extra set of rims and snow tires
Old Dec 1, 2006, 12:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
yep, swaybars= bad on ice and snow. I put some extra weight in my trunk to help me through the snow and ice. I can do 45mph comfortably with stock suspension and all season tires including the weight in snow covered roads
Old Dec 1, 2006, 02:05 PM
Evolved Member

Guys, thanks for the information --- I've got it on an alignment rack right now just in case that was altered, but I'll have them switch to the softest setting while it's up there.

Thanks!