Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Rear ABS sensors are siezed up - how to remove?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2008, 01:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear ABS sensors are siezed up - how to remove?

OK, I cannot remove this for the life of me from the rear spindle...

1) I took the bolt off and tried shaking the plug, tapped it lightly with a rubber mallet, 2) I tried sticking a flat head under the plug edges and tapping hoping to free it up

I cannot take these things off and I am almost certain I am about to break it?

My Evo has been a gravel car since day 1 and lived a hard life, so I am certain this is the cause since FSM makes it look like stealing candy from a baby. Even my swaybar endlink bolts were messed up and had to be cut off....

Anyone have this issue and if so how did you resolve it?

PS - If someone has part no's for the rear sensors, please post up. I want to see how badly the stealership is about to bend me over and stick it...
Old Jan 23, 2008, 08:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was in your predicament cause my clutch installer messed up an ABS sensor during the clutch install. Don't ask me how, but it was a pain in the ***.
I tried replacing the sensor myself and asked around as well, but I think on certain evos they are just a ***** to remove! I tried everythign you tried but nothing. Had to let the dealer fix it for me.

btw.. the sensors are pricy! pm lancerdealer and ask for prices or check out the sticky on evom for part numbers!

Last edited by rsboy; Jan 23, 2008 at 08:37 AM.
Old Jan 23, 2008, 09:20 AM
Evolved Member

I did ask around - They are pricy. Some people claim to have used ones but will not send me pics when I ask...
Old Jan 23, 2008, 10:32 AM

Why are you removing it BTW? The ABS sensor is connected to the rear Knuckle and its made of some plastic material which I suspect is pretty much fused or stuck to the Knuckle.

When I tried to remove mine from the Front I couldnt do it either. I just ended up removing everything that held the HUB assembly in place and placed it on a chair with the ABS sensor still attached. This was during my clutch install. I think a replacement is around $175.
Old Jan 23, 2008, 12:56 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by shin07
Why are you removing it BTW? The ABS sensor is connected to the rear Knuckle and its made of some plastic material which I suspect is pretty much fused or stuck to the Knuckle.

When I tried to remove mine from the Front I couldnt do it either. I just ended up removing everything that held the HUB assembly in place and placed it on a chair with the ABS sensor still attached. This was during my clutch install. I think a replacement is around $175.
I am re-doing every bushing underneath with whiteline. Also sending rear diff to TRE for modification. So, I am having to undo a bunch of stuff. Also, my swaybar endlinkwas seized to the upper arm and had to be cut off. problems, problems!
Old Jul 3, 2009, 09:10 PM

hey im having the same problem. i cannot remove my abs sensors on any of the wheels. it looks like its seized or welded on the wheel hub. my 3 acd lights keep comming on during hot and humid days. but during cold days its fine. i think it has to do with the abs sensors im trying to take em apart to clean em its no luck. each wheel sensor costs about 360bux each!!
Old Apr 24, 2016, 01:56 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 223 Likes on 155 Posts
Graveyard bump for posterity.

I ordered them from Ebay/China for $30 each. There is also another company in the UK that sells them for ~$130 depending on the exchange rate. I suspect they are Chinese also so I am going to try the cheaper ones.

Ebay:
Item number 262005340307
Item number 262005321217

UK ones:

ross@rosssport.com

Hello Sir

We can offer you both rear ABS sensors for £200 shipped.

Kind regards,
Ross Walker

Ross Sport Ltd
Unit 1 Faraday Business Park
Littleport
Cambridge
CB6 1PE
(01945) 580066
Old Apr 24, 2016, 03:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Iron when it rusts takes up 4X more space. So, when the abs sensor bore rusts the sensor is locked in. When I did front wheel bearings I didn't even try to remove the abs sensors. I knew it was hopeless without drilling.