Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Possibly the best street springs out there?

Old Feb 12, 2008, 10:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
Can someone please list the stock springs rates in this thread for reference?

I agree that coilovers for a mostly street driven Evo is a bit much, unless you have money to blow. Most people can't handle the stock setup anyways! The car's stock suspension seems to be pretty well tuned to the stock tires (or tires of equal grip).

I'm running 245/40 REO1Rs on a completely stock suspension, and lifting the inside rear tire on the skidpad at Streets of Willow. I'm thinking of maybe springs, but would really like some front camber plates, rear trailing arm bushings, and rear bump steer kit first.

No intention of getting coilovers though. I'm too lazy to adjust rebound and compression at the track or getting corner weighted, etc
Old Feb 13, 2008, 06:00 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spdracerut, I will be testing the Swift anti roll bars also, as they are made from the same steel used on their springs. My car is a daily driven, and I agree the coilover kits I have seen I havent been impressed with, but with dealing with Penske and other race struts and dampers mabey my idea of quality is a bit skewed a good set of coilovers in my opinion are about 4000.00 a set like the Moton Clubsports, or the Works packages that have both compression are rebound adjustment and remote canister so there is additional compression adjustability with nitrogen psi and but for the average street guy this is out of reach $ wise also are not needed for everyday driving. I was just looking for a combination that would suit an everday driver plus some track days with 100% reliability. Most aftermarket struts were developed with the stock wheel and tire combination ie. 17" so changing the wheels to 18" will change the dynamics of that package. The increase in unsprung weight along with the shorter sidewall that will increase tire spring rate will add to that problem. Also the weight % front to rear can play a big part in how this car works. With a 60 /40 weight distribution any weight rearward should help, the Buschur small battery would give you a good start. The mods you have planned should get the job done. I 'm working on some suspension bits and will post photos soon but as this is my hobby I have only so much time. I would buy quality parts from vendors who actually support their products with service and technical support.
Old Feb 13, 2008, 08:06 AM
Evolved Member

I was about to start my own thread, but looks like I can just add my questions here.

I'm looking to go from racing on my stock setup (KYB, stock springs, stock Advan tires, stock '03 rims) to running on Bilstein HD dampers, aftermarket springs and 255/40-17 RA-1s on the stock rims. Given the following information:

Swift 'MR' springs: 269lb/in front - 314lb/in rear
Espelier GT sping: 308lb/in front - 330lb/in rear
Swift 'R' springs: 358lb/in front - 380lb/in rear

I have seen it speculated that a 255 R compound may be too much tire for the Swift MR springs, not sure about the Espelier GTs and Swift 'R'. With the Swift 'R' spring being progressive and ultimately stiffer, I'm leaning towards that at the moment.

Any thoughts as far as if my reasoning is correct, and any thoughts about tracking a progressive spring?

Thanks.

P.S.: I plan on running at least -3 camber up front, if that makes any difference...

Last edited by Ludikraut; Feb 13, 2008 at 08:08 AM.
Old Feb 15, 2008, 04:55 AM
Former Sponsor

I see no problem running a progressive on track days it's been done for years with dual purpose vehicles. A linear spring that would perform great in track conditions would not happy on the street ie. too harsh. I will be running aprox 10 track days this year with the Bilstein Swift Spec R MR combo. I have a set of Std Swift Spec R springs going on stock struts to try first and mabey I could get some GT Works springs to test also. As far as tires I will be running on Yokohama AO48's with the same size you will be running on BBS MR wheels and Kuhmo ECSTA ASX 235-45-17's on a second set of BBS MR's. Works bump steer kits front and rear the Swift bars. I plan to use a Pi data system this year to record the results of the changes I will be making thru this year I hope this helps. My car is not a race car it is a daily driven, lapping day, autocross, landspeed weekend warrior.
Old Feb 15, 2008, 07:55 AM
Evolved Member

I was going to post a new thread on the topic of what the best spring for stock shocks is but I guess this thread is is close enough.

I too am one of these people that think that unless you know and have the time and resource to tune a coilover setup properly, you are better off with just a spring. I am on a search to find out which spring will give the best track performance using the stock shocks, and running R-compiund tires + race pads. All else stock.

So, does the current list consist of:
Works ($300): http://www.worksevo.com/store/produc...products_id=71
GTWorx ($260): http://gtworx.com/catalog/product_in...oducts_id=1434
Swift R Sport ($310): http://www.evasivemotorsports.com/me...e=SWIFT-4M008R

I'm curious as to why no one in the EVO world has tried H&R? I have had great results with H&R on other cars.
H&R Sport ($330): http://hrsprings.com/scripts/appguid...cer%20Evo%20IX

I'm also considering adding camber plates while I'm at it. Extra camber on the weekends may aid to reduce a bit of understeer and extend tire life and I can go back to -1deg for daily driving to not kill off the street tires prematurely.
Old Feb 15, 2008, 08:01 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah, I'd like to go with camber plates as well (whiteline to be specific), but was told by GTworx that the current Whiteline camber plates are for coilovers only. Who else makes camber plates for stock struts?

What are the rates on the H&R spring? The drop on them seems off, though (i.e. front vs. rear drop)

l8r)
Old Feb 15, 2008, 09:16 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Cusco has plates. They are OKAY. They'll raise the car and aren't the quietest out there. You'll get camber but the pillowball could be better.

We should really make our own like we do for Subaru.

- Andrew
Old Feb 15, 2008, 09:27 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ludikraut
Who else makes camber plates for stock struts?
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=323176
Old Feb 15, 2008, 09:30 AM
Evolving Member

How much of a camber can you put on the stock setup F/R?
Old Feb 15, 2008, 09:35 AM
Former Sponsor

I believe Works makes a camber plate set for a stock style suspension. They are a quality company and support their product line I would look there.
Old Feb 15, 2008, 09:36 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by turbo271
How much of a camber can you put on the stock setup F/R?
I had it to about -2.4 or so in the front before...

I propose that camber/alignment/camber plates topics go in their own threads - lets keep this one the topic for the best handling springs with stock shocks....
Old Feb 15, 2008, 09:48 AM
Former Sponsor

Suspension Bits

Just some bits I'm working on end links made from 4130 Chrome Moly and teflon lined rod ends, fully enclosed rubber boots, and 4130 Chrome Moly tube for the rears with NAS bolts the same ones they use on Indy Cars and F1 cars pretty much indestructable, also an oil filter heat shield made from pre preg carbon fiber and gold foil used in all major racing series the photo was just before I made the attaching straps.
Attached Thumbnails Possibly the best street springs out there?-20-025.jpg   Possibly the best street springs out there?-20-024.jpg   Possibly the best street springs out there?-20-006.jpg  
Old Feb 15, 2008, 10:30 AM
Evolved Member

Very nice looking oil filter heat shield.

Do you have any idea yet, how well the Swift R spring matches the MR Bilsteins? And does anyone know if the Bilstein HD dampers match the MR Bilstein dampers?

l8r)
Old Feb 15, 2008, 10:41 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Indy Evo
I believe Works makes a camber plate set for a stock style suspension. They are a quality company and support their product line I would look there.
Ah yes, forget about their plates. We've used them before and they are quality plates.

Your endlinks look great by the way.

- Andrew

Last edited by GTWORX.com; Feb 15, 2008 at 10:45 AM.
Old Feb 15, 2008, 10:43 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Ludikraut
Very nice looking oil filter heat shield.

Do you have any idea yet, how well the Swift R spring matches the MR Bilsteins? And does anyone know if the Bilstein HD dampers match the MR Bilstein dampers?

l8r)
We were working on getting a dyno of the Bilstein HD, but they just now came back in stock after months of being out and we're just working on getting them all out to customers.

All we know for sure is that they are "slightly firmer then the MR Bilsteins" according to my contact at Bilstein. Which is probably a good thing for the Swift Spec R's then. I still want to see a dyno.

- Andrew

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Possibly the best street springs out there?