Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Possibly the best street springs out there?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2008, 10:56 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm waiting on some low mileage MR's I will dyno both struts, front and rear and post the results. I'm finishing the dyno mounts to run front and rear springs as you know the front springs are quite large and require a special mounting fixtures. After I dyno, the standard spec r's are going on with standard oem struts. I'm thinking late next week I should have some results to post. Than I have a set of Bilstein HD struts that I will install with the Spec R after. If the Bilstein HD's are like the other Bilstein struts they are usually stiffer than the oe's due to the ride quality specs dictated by the manufacturer. The MR struts will be tested as soon as they get here and the best ones will go on my car.
Old Feb 15, 2008, 11:06 AM
Former Sponsor

Thanks for the thumbs up. Buschur's will be selling those parts and I have alot of others in the works. Carbon aero parts, and fabricated suspension parts, also some skunk works projects are on going.
Old Feb 15, 2008, 01:20 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Indy Evo
Just some bits I'm working on end links made from 4130 Chrome Moly and teflon lined rod ends, fully enclosed rubber boots, and 4130 Chrome Moly tube for the rears with NAS bolts the same ones they use on Indy Cars and F1 cars pretty much indestructable, also an oil filter heat shield made from pre preg carbon fiber and gold foil used in all major racing series the photo was just before I made the attaching straps.

Hey... nice end links. I just so happen to be about in need of those. You say David will be selling them? Just like that? I made some of my own without the boots, and they lasted about one season before wearing out from crud (not having boots) collected by a daily driver.

Back to springs, for a daily driver, I'm pretty fond of the GTWorx springs. The Swift R's w/HDs might better fit the bill of someone who really tracks the car a lot, but I'd be willing to bet the GTWorx set would be better for Average Joe.

Last edited by Zeus; Feb 15, 2008 at 01:22 PM.
Old Feb 15, 2008, 01:48 PM
Evolved Member

I'm waiting on some low mileage MR's I will dyno both struts, front and rear and post the results. I'm finishing the dyno mounts to run front and rear springs as you know the front springs are quite large and require a special mounting fixtures. After I dyno, the standard spec r's are going on with standard oem struts. I'm thinking late next week I should have some results to post. Than I have a set of Bilstein HD struts that I will install with the Spec R after. If the Bilstein HD's are like the other Bilstein struts they are usually stiffer than the oe's due to the ride quality specs dictated by the manufacturer. The MR struts will be tested as soon as they get here and the best ones will go on my car.
Hey, thanks a million for doing this and posting the info. Finding out information for some of this stuff has been challenging, and this will allow me to slowly build up my suspension w/out jumping right into expensive and more time-consuming-to-setup coilovers. I am looking to move on a set of Bilstein HDs within the next 3-6 weeks. The timing of this could not have been better.

Cheers!

l8r)
Old Feb 17, 2008, 05:08 AM
Former Sponsor

Thanks, With my real job it's tough to get things tested as soon as I want but, I will be getting a shock dyno for the house garage soon since I do development on other struts and shocks this will help as I dont have alot of extra time at work with the race season starting, I will try to post as many updates as possible. Next week I wil dyno some Swift Spec R MR springs. The fronts are the same as the standard Spec R and the rears are just a little bit stiffer than the standards. Also the standard Spec R's are going in with stock struts and street alignment ie: not a lot of negitive camber. I will be testing the Bilstein MR struts vs the HD and see what the real difference is, but I'm leaning toward the HD's due to Bilsteins history of building a better aftermarket strut. We will see, after that I will be changing to the Spec R MR spring with the best strut from my Bilstein test with Works camber plates and rear mounts as they seem to be of the highest quality available. Their bumpsteer kits front and rear after a pre measure bump curve check, after that Swifts sway bars rear than front with my sway bar link kits. I found some wheels that i'm checking into that are the lightest wheel out there period. They are uber spendy but will allow 18" with R compound tires and still be under what a 17" weights just waiting for a final price and shipping from europe. By the way the are made from real mag the stuff F1 cars thve been running in the past.
Attached Images   
Old Feb 17, 2008, 08:47 AM
Evolved Member

.... Their bumpsteer kits front and rear after a pre measure bump curve check, after that Swifts sway bars rear than front with my sway bar link kits. I found some wheels that i'm checking into that are the lightest wheel out there period. They are uber spendy but will allow 18" with R compound tires and still be under what a 17" weights just waiting for a final price and shipping from europe. By the way the are made from real mag the stuff F1 cars thve been running in the past.
Sorry, you lost me at this point ^

Are you saying that you're going with a bumpsteer correction kit (front and rear) and that you're going with front and rear sway bar upgrades?

I have been looking to find an adjustable set of both front and rear bars, although I don't think I'll be ready to add them into the mix until maybe mid summer. I don't really want to change too many things at a time and going with new struts/springs and front roll center correction kit will be enough initially - then a set of R compounds after the first track day or two on the old Advans this year - and then maybe the swaybars.

Are you looking to do any aero work? I've been toying with some ideas ... mabye we should discuss in another thread, though...

l8r)

Last edited by Ludikraut; Feb 17, 2008 at 08:49 AM. Reason: wrong verbiage...
Old Feb 17, 2008, 09:05 AM
Former Sponsor

I 'm adding one thing at a time. Springs and struts, bumpsteer kit, swaybars in that order to see what gains are made with each item. As for aero I'm working on some stuff now front bumper blockers for landspeed stuff, rear wing gurneys in different heights, and vortex generators for the bottom of the wing all will be available soon at Buschur's. Just starting on a brake duct kit in carbon.Here's a peek at the front bumper. These bumper blockers are removable.

Last edited by Indy Evo; Sep 7, 2008 at 04:13 PM.
Old Feb 17, 2008, 09:12 AM
Evolved Member

I 'm adding one thing at a time. Springs and struts, bumpsteer kit, swaybars in that order to see what gains are made with each item. As for aero I'm working on some stuff now front bumper blockers for landspeed stuff, rear wing gurneys in different heights, and vortex generators for the bottom of the wing all will be available soon at Buschur's. Just starting on a brake duct kit in carbon.Here's a peek at the front bumper. These bumper blockers are removable.
cool
Old Feb 19, 2008, 04:42 PM
Former Sponsor

Zeus, I will be sending David the first ones next week just waiting to get them back from coating. I'm using the same stuff we use on Indy Car suspension. As I said before they will be 4130 rod ends teflon lined with rubber boots (see page 2 for photos) 4130 chrome moly tube with TIG welded inserts. The hardware will not be the typical metric grade 8 junk, They are NAS bolts with safety washers in case of rod end failure, 6061 T6 military hardcoated spacers with jet nuts. This is the same hardware the F1 and Indy Car teams use. I know this might be overkill for the typical daily driver but when it comes to safety I will not compromise.
Old Feb 19, 2008, 07:07 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
^ Do you work for Penske?

Looking forward to seeing the rest of your parts.

- Andrew
Old Feb 19, 2008, 08:58 PM
Former Sponsor

Andrew I do not work for Penske, I work for a development firm that tests aero, suspension, and does CFD analysis. As for me my background includes cylinder head development, intake manifold design, aero testing, data aquisition, suspension/damper development, and fabrication. IMSA, Champ Car, IRL, ALMS, NHRA, SCCA Trans Am, and NASCAR are the major series I have consulted for.
Old Feb 19, 2008, 09:03 PM
Former Sponsor

Andrew I do not work for Penske, I work for a development firm that tests aero, suspension, and does CFD analysis. As for me my background includes cylinder head development, intake manifold design, aero testing, data aquisition, suspension/damper development, and fabrication. IMSA, Champ Car, IRL, ALMS, NHRA, SCCA Trans Am, and NASCAR are the major series I have consulted for. I will contact you reguarding the springs and struts we talked about also I need to get your STI springs, both versions for an engineer friend of mine who I'm working on parts for his car. Thanks
Old Feb 19, 2008, 09:49 PM

Just received a set of the new Swift Spec R springs, after testing their race springs on a SPA shock dyno all I can say is if their street springs are as good as their race springs this may be the best street spring on the market. I am making dyno adaptors to run the street springs and will have info soon. Running them with stock struts first, then Bilstein struts for a back to back on the road test. Just my 2 cents
I'm rocking the Swift Sport Springs. The drop is perfect. It's subtle, 1.4 in front, 0.8 in the rear... Enough to give it that, "is it dropped, I know it's not stock" look, and not enough to kill your shocks. Fingerspace is about a little over 1 inch each tire.
Attached Thumbnails Possibly the best street springs out there?-get-attachment.aspx.jpg  
Old Feb 21, 2008, 10:49 AM
Former Sponsor

Just made contact with Robi, I will try his and GT Works springs just to be fair. Not to go offline, but the intent of this thread was to evaluate the different lowering springs out there for a stock style strut suspension. The average evo owner does not have an extra 4,000.00 sitting around for coilovers. Nothing wrong with them in the proper applications, but most people might have half the $ in their whole suspension system no matter what is in their signature. I have already tested a name brand coilover kit and no I will not reveal the name of the company, but as Andrew at GT Works stated there is alot of imported crap out there and I found that to be true. A good strut /spring combination will out last and out perform the cheaper coilovers in daily driven vehicles as they are made to go thousands of miles compared to the stuff I have seen from Taiwan. All I'm saying here is research the products you are thinking of buying yourself, support the manufactures and shops that will offer technical advice and support their products after the sale. There are many choices out there. One of my old friends once said " buy the best and cry once " that just about sums it up.
Old Feb 21, 2008, 11:50 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Just made contact with Robi, I will try his and GT Works springs just to be fair. Not to go offline, but the intent of this thread was to evaluate the different lowering springs out there for a stock style strut suspension. The average evo owner does not have an extra 4,000.00 sitting around for coilovers. Nothing wrong with them in the proper applications, but most people might have half the $ in their whole suspension system no matter what is in their signature. I have already tested a name brand coilover kit and no I will not reveal the name of the company, but as Andrew at GT Works stated there is alot of imported crap out there and I found that to be true. A good strut /spring combination will out last and out perform the cheaper coilovers in daily driven vehicles as they are made to go thousands of miles compared to the stuff I have seen from Taiwan. All I'm saying here is research the products you are thinking of buying yourself, support the manufactures and shops that will offer technical advice and support their products after the sale. There are many choices out there. One of my old friends once said " buy the best and cry once " that just about sums it up.

- Andrew

Quick Reply: Possibly the best street springs out there?