Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Possibly the best street springs out there?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2008, 01:50 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Possibly the best street springs out there?

Just received a set of the new Swift Spec R springs, after testing their race springs on a SPA shock dyno all I can say is if their street springs are as good as their race springs this may be the best street spring on the market. I am making dyno adaptors to run the street springs and will have info soon. Running them with stock struts first, then Bilstein struts for a back to back on the road test. Just my 2 cents
Old Feb 12, 2008, 05:17 AM
Evolving Member

I'd be very interested in your findings about their street springs as I'm thinking about replacing my springs soon and debating between the swifts and gtworx . I'm wondering though what your criteria for "best street spring" is?
Old Feb 12, 2008, 05:21 AM
Evolving Member

Are the rates posted on those yet?
Old Feb 12, 2008, 05:24 AM
Evolving Member

pics of the drop?
Old Feb 12, 2008, 06:28 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by sscottttt
I'd be very interested in your findings about their street springs as I'm thinking about replacing my springs soon and debating between the swifts and gtworx . I'm wondering though what your criteria for "best street spring" is?
I'm in the exact same boat.
Old Feb 12, 2008, 06:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Spec R*****

RS/GSR - Front Spring Rates: 3.2 - 4.8 kg/mm (179 - 269 lbs/inch), Rear Spring Rates: 3.7 - 5.7 kg/mm (207 - 319 lbs/inch)

RS/GSR Ride Height Drop: 1.4" Front and 0.8" Rear

vs

MACH*****

Drop Rate (F/R): 1.38/0.79"
Spring Rate (F/R): 2.5-4.0/3.1-6.6kg

Slightly more aggressive, and more stiff im trying to find the spring rates right now.
This is all i could find it might/might not be 100% correct but i think the rates are actually the same just the spec R is a more aggressive spring.

Last edited by kaonashi; Feb 12, 2008 at 06:48 AM.
Old Feb 12, 2008, 08:50 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
^ Those rates are not correct. The drops are though.

157-358 lbs/in front
153-380 lbs/in rear

progressive.

Last edited by GTWORX.com; Feb 12, 2008 at 08:52 AM.
Old Feb 12, 2008, 08:52 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Indy Evo
Just received a set of the new Swift Spec R springs, after testing their race springs on a SPA shock dyno all I can say is if their street springs are as good as their race springs this may be the best street spring on the market. I am making dyno adaptors to run the street springs and will have info soon. Running them with stock struts first, then Bilstein struts for a back to back on the road test. Just my 2 cents
What exactly are you testing? Just that their advertised spring rates are correct?

We tested the rates on the regular Swifts a long time ago when we made our own GTWorx springs and had some interesting results.

- Andrew
Old Feb 12, 2008, 04:32 PM
Former Sponsor

The testing is being done because I will not put a spring or any other product on my vehicle unless I know for a fact it will perform as expected . Being in race car component development for 25 years I have seen many springs coil bind, sag, and drop rate. The main thing is I think this spring company has found some things other companies have possibly missed, and after testing their race springs I have found very positive results. Enough so one of the top IRL indy car technical directors I brought this up with thought so also. By the way he is a multi Indy 500 and Championship winning engineer. Also having a street car I have not seen the need for coilovers as the Bilstein strut do the job for most street applications if the unsprung mass is not increased ie. staying with a wheel as light or lighter than BBS MR wheels at 17" diameter. Anything heavier ie. 18" wheels and tires with stock struts will degrade the ride and control of the vehicle. This is just one persons opinion but it would be interesting to take some other manufactures products for a spin on our 7 post rig to really see what is happening.
Old Feb 12, 2008, 05:03 PM
Evolved Member

Best springs? Robi springs, semi progressive, drop your car ~1inch, greatly improves handling and wont blow your struts. $280. Custom unknown spring rate, curious? PM (robi).
Old Feb 12, 2008, 05:04 PM
Former Sponsor

FYI I found a source for Bilstein struts at www.allshocks.com. I will be checking to see if there are any differences between their MR vs HD strut on our shock dyno. BTW great prices!
Old Feb 12, 2008, 05:26 PM
Former Sponsor

I'm not here to start anything, but just some info for the masses who want to get what they pay for. BTW how many parts shops have the proper testing facilities to back up thier claims ie. shock dyno, 7 post rig, and some of the best race engineers around that do development for all the major race series. I'm just a guy that happens to care about what I put into my car and not one that just takes others words untill I see the results for myself. I conceive, design, build and test racing components how many parts shops do that. The only one I know is Buschers, at least Dave can be respected for that because he actually does the development and is willing to call it as he sees it.
Old Feb 12, 2008, 05:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by inco9nito99
Best springs? Robi springs, semi progressive, drop your car ~1inch, greatly improves handling and wont blow your struts. $280. Custom unknown spring rate, curious? PM (robi).
+1
Old Feb 12, 2008, 08:08 PM
Former Sponsor

The testing is being done because I will not put a spring or any other product on my vehicle unless I know for a fact it will perform as expected . Being in race car component development for 25 years I have seen many springs coil bind, sag, and drop rate. The main thing is I think this spring company has found some things other companies have possibly missed, and after testing their race springs I have found very positive results. Enough so one of the top IRL indy car technical directors I brought this up with thought so also. By the way he is a multi Indy 500 and Championship winning engineer. Also having a street car I have not seen the need for coilovers as the Bilstein strut do the job for most street applications if the unsprung mass is not increased ie. staying with a wheel as light or lighter than BBS MR wheels at 17" diameter. Anything heavier ie. 18" wheels and tires with stock struts will degrade the ride and control of the vehicle. This is just one persons opinion but it would be interesting to take some other manufactures products for a spin on our 7 post rig to really see what is happening.
Oh their coilover race springs are fantastic....someone over on the Subaru message board had the opportunity to test them against a few other companies and they clearly came out ahead in terms of accuracy. The Eibach's did okay....but the Swifts were just awesome. And light as hell too.

I agree on not seeing the need for coilovers for a street EVO. I've been preaching that for a while but many people here love to jump right into cheap, poorly made coilovers with improper and wildly inconsistent valving.

I've recently sent out a couple sets of the Bilstein HD dampers with either our GTWorx springs our the standard Swift sport springs and the reviews should be popping up soon. IMO it's a better solution for most EVO drivers that see 90% or more street driving and are not running 275 r-comp tires.

We did test the standard Swifts a while ago, I'll PM you details.

sending you a PM

- Andrew

Last edited by GTWORX.com; Feb 12, 2008 at 08:39 PM.
Old Feb 12, 2008, 08:17 PM
Former Sponsor

I'm not here to start anything, but just some info for the masses who want to get what they pay for. BTW how many parts shops have the proper testing facilities to back up thier claims ie. shock dyno, 7 post rig, and some of the best race engineers around that do development for all the major race series. I'm just a guy that happens to care about what I put into my car and not one that just takes others words untill I see the results for myself. I conceive, design, build and test racing components how many parts shops do that. The only one I know is Buschers, at least Dave can be respected for that because he actually does the development and is willing to call it as he sees it.
We don't have a shock dyno (yet), and certainly don't have a 7 post rig (uh it's on its way....i wish), BUT we work with companies that do daily and have access to their facilities. We work with engineers that work for some of the biggest names out there and they're involved with some of our own parts. It's a longer process then "lets drop the car this much and hope people don't care the car handles like poo." Oh and after designing our own spring, I really think that's the thought process behind a lot of springs out there. But the REAL design process works, and it's fun.

We're a small shop, but we don't let it stop us from putting out great, effective parts with real research and development behind them.

- drew

Quick Reply: Possibly the best street springs out there?