Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.
View Poll Results: Coilover noise
Mine sound as quiet as stock and have zero noise.
23.03%
Mine make noise and i've learned to deal with it.
26.97%
Mine make noise and it drives me nuts!
46.71%
Mine made noise and I have found the cure!
3.29%
Voters: 152. You may not vote on this poll

The ultimate coilover noise thread...

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2009, 04:07 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It will be interesting to see if any of the vendors or manufacturers submit replys to this thread. I suspect they will stay away from comments because I bet that a majority of us have noises eminating from the car after the installation of aftermarket coil overs or springs that were not there when it had stock springs and or shocks.
Old Sep 8, 2009, 04:30 PM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
What? Neither of my Swifts made noise and for that matter, neither did my coil overs.

My H/R in the Focus make no noise. Installation, quality of product -- all go into noise. A properly installed item is a big difference than a hack job.
Old Sep 9, 2009, 03:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Robispec KW V3s and they've made a variety of noises since installation. It bugs me - a lot - but I've learned to live with it.
Old Sep 9, 2009, 03:49 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Speed Element
metal to metal contact will cause noise. its common sense. if you don't want the noise, stay w/ KW v3 w/ factory top hats
This is my setup and I get rear rattles and occasional front noises as well, especially in the cold.
Old Sep 9, 2009, 11:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
My Robispec KW Clubsports were completely quiet with the stock tophats, til I put on some camber/caster plates. Now it clunks and clungs.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 05:52 AM

i got the same problem, got a stance coilover gr pro...it never made sound for 3 days and it started making that clunking sound whenever i turn left at lowspeed...everything is good except for that annoying sound...
Old Dec 28, 2009, 06:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Speed Element
metal to metal contact will cause noise. its common sense. if you don't want the noise, stay w/ KW v3 w/ factory top hats
A friend of mine literally melted his top hats with KW v3's and factory top hats... On a porsche 997 that mainly drives on the highway. I really don't think that's a good idea.
Old Jan 9, 2010, 07:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Thoe99
My Robispec KW Clubsports were completely quiet with the stock tophats, til I put on some camber/caster plates. Now it clunks and clungs.
My clubsports clunk like hell in the rear! Tried tightening the top of the strut nut and even supplied silicone between the top strut mount and the chassis. Still clunking... I am wonderig if I should replace the rubber strut mount bushing??? The struts weren't making the noise several thousand miles ago so maybe there wearing out cause the noise is progressively getting worse.
Old Jan 9, 2010, 08:35 AM
Evolving Member

/\/\ sounds like the actual shock itself is makin the noise..my right rear stance coilover is doin the same thing.
Old Jan 9, 2010, 01:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just tried to isolate the noise. I give up.... I just think all coilovers make some noise to be honest!
Old Jan 10, 2010, 10:00 PM
Evolved Member

do the D2 coilovers make noise?
Old Jan 12, 2010, 12:23 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EriCS
My clubsports clunk like hell in the rear! Tried tightening the top of the strut nut and even supplied silicone between the top strut mount and the chassis. Still clunking... I am wonderig if I should replace the rubber strut mount bushing??? The struts weren't making the noise several thousand miles ago so maybe there wearing out cause the noise is progressively getting worse.
I was considering just replacing the entire top hat, but last time I had the stock struts / shocks on with them, they were silent :\

I've contacted Robi countless times about this but have been waiting a year and a half for him to make a trip out here and have had my latest attempts at contacting him ignored completely. Pretty disappointing when his initial service was simply phenomenal, and I'm now left with a set of $2500 coilovers that make more noise than $850 Megans
Old Jun 1, 2010, 02:46 PM
Evolved Member

this sucks cause i had my stance gr+pros and loved them they were awesome for like 6 months then all the sudden they started making noise there squeaking like rubber rubbing on something thats on the drivers side and the passenger side its more of metal on metal squeak... its driving me nuts i guess theres no warrenty with them? i bought them from thmotorsports.com think i should contact them or are they going to tell me to go pound sand?
Old Jul 4, 2010, 10:52 AM
Evolved Member

This is gonna be a stupid question, but has anyone reinstalled the stock struts, just to see if it still makes noise? I'm convinced that it's not my Ohlins DFVs making the noise, but I'm gonna put the stock struts back in just to rule it out.
Old Jul 4, 2010, 11:01 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Its an easy swap in that car. Can do it as long as you swap back to the Ohlins after (alignment). I'd go around the block a few times to see if the noise returns or not.

Quick Reply: The ultimate coilover noise thread...