Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Changed Wheel Bearing, and Noise Is Still There??

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2010, 01:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
I don't know if this is any help or not but I have growling sound coming from the right front that I have traced to the strut. Sometimes it makes noise and sometimes it does not. One day it decided to make noise while the car was parked and I was able to scope it out.

So, I need a new strut, but since it isn't leaking and is otherwise doing its job, it is a low priority repair. I talked to the company that made the strut and they said they thought the "speed valve" inside was broken.
Old Jun 13, 2010, 02:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
rotate the tires to the back and see if the noise goes away. The evo shouldn't have an issue with the hub because the hub and bearing come as one sealed unit.
Old Jun 13, 2010, 02:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
One way to tell if its bad or not is to jack it up, spin the tire and you feel a slight vibration in the coil spring if the bearing is bad. You have to spin the tire pretty quick but you should feel it.

At 40k miles I had to change both front bearings in mine. Now its finally quiet. The one on the right was really bad and had a good 1/4" side to side movement. Basically just disconnect the strut and caliper and let the hub flop down. Air impact is almost a must to take those 4 back bolts out. Hammer the back side of the bearing with a mini sledge till it comes out. Its kind of a pain but not too bad. Also be sure to loosen the ABS wire brackets to allow for the hub to drop.

I also cleaned and clear coated the new bearing hub so it wouldn't rust. Without out center caps it looks great!

Edit:
I failed to mention you will need a big socket to remove the axle nut. I believe its 30mm so correct me if I'm wrong. Air impact is nice for this as well but you can still take it off with a breaker bar.

Last edited by rodent; Jun 13, 2010 at 02:54 PM.
Old Jun 13, 2010, 02:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by project95gsx
any "how-to" on this?
can you buy the bearing only?
Its the whole hub assembly with the bearing so no.
Old Jun 13, 2010, 05:56 PM

Ok I just change out both my front bearings and the noise is gone. And here is some advise if someone is trying to figure out its a bad wheel bearing. Someone pointed out if you grab the tire at the 6 o'clock and 12 o'clock position it should wobble if its a bad bearing. Well both my wheels had no play whats so ever, and it still turn out to be a bad wheel bearing. Just something to think about if your trying to diagnose it.
Old Jun 14, 2010, 03:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
not ALL bad wheel bearings wobble. Dried out bearings will make noise and not wobble. If it wobbles, it's worse.
Old Jun 15, 2010, 09:27 PM

your tires could make noise if the tread is worn uneven. i would rotate and balance the tires and check for uneven wear. if this don't help you find the noise at least you did your routine maintanice
Old Jun 16, 2010, 05:48 PM

mine will not wobble til i have my caliper off. changed it and now its nice and quite again
Old Jul 1, 2010, 03:36 PM
Evolved Member

my guess is you'll get just noise but no play on the wheel at first.... as the issue gets proggressively worse, noise will increase and wheel play will get noticable. correct?

my mechanic identified front driver side wheel bearing because the noise would go away when load is off but you guys are saying the opposite.. interesting...

(update)
i also checked front passenger and driver side wheel play, they are BOTH solid! i can be wrong but roaring sound of bad bearing comes from the front, not the back. i will check the rear wheels play also today.

Last edited by mifesto; Jul 18, 2010 at 09:31 AM.
Old Aug 6, 2010, 02:42 PM

I have a problem but its when i drive down the road i just put new tires on on 4 makes noise. Put stock evo 8 wheels on with old tires noise went away im so lost what can it be please help
Old Nov 29, 2010, 05:08 PM

06 IX MR with 28,000 miles same problem

I'm having the same issue with, what felt like the driverside front wheel bearing. I replaced it and the the noise is slightly less. But now, in addition to that pulse vibration, I have a slight roaring from the driverside front when turning right. It seems like a few of you had some luck with replacing the opposite side wheel bearing so I think I'll start with that. Thanks for the help everyone and I'll be sure to post the outcome.

Been chasing this issue since I bought the car with 19,000 miles on it, last year... I think might want to take a look at their wheelbearing design if they're going bad this soon... just a thought.
Old Nov 30, 2010, 11:03 AM
Evolved Member

same prob here. I guess I will be checking my bearings also. At 40 - 45 mph the sound is their goes a way at 50's mph then can hear it come back at 60 ish mph then goes away after 65ish or 70 mph. weird huh
Old Dec 1, 2010, 03:51 PM

one thing you can try is get the wheel, caliper, and rotor off. Get your axle nut off. I had lots of road noise and pulse vibrations. The bearing spun fine with everything together but as soon as i took axle nut off i could wiggle the hub left to right and in and out a lot.

Buy a good bearing. I bought Timken for 200 each you can find other brands cheaper.

If you swap your wheel bearing/hub assembly you need to torque your axle nut before you put weight on it. That nut holds the bearing together.
Old Dec 8, 2010, 05:33 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by FL_SilverEvo8
same prob here. I guess I will be checking my bearings also. At 40 - 45 mph the sound is their goes a way at 50's mph then can hear it come back at 60 ish mph then goes away after 65ish or 70 mph. weird huh
Mine is similiar to yours...The sound gets progressively louder once I hit 60mph and tones down whenever I get to about 70. it's the loudest when I turn to the right.

Last edited by theEVOdream; Dec 8, 2010 at 05:38 AM. Reason: because I'm a horrible speller :-)
Old Dec 10, 2010, 11:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i know it may sound dumb but maybe something is rubbing on one of the tires somewhere?

no1 mentioned if anything is possibly rubbing..

Quick Reply: Changed Wheel Bearing, and Noise Is Still There??