Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Changed Wheel Bearing, and Noise Is Still There??

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2010, 08:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rodent
One way to tell if its bad or not is to jack it up, spin the tire and you feel a slight vibration in the coil spring if the bearing is bad. You have to spin the tire pretty quick but you should feel it.

At 40k miles I had to change both front bearings in mine. Now its finally quiet. The one on the right was really bad and had a good 1/4" side to side movement. Basically just disconnect the strut and caliper and let the hub flop down. Air impact is almost a must to take those 4 back bolts out. Hammer the back side of the bearing with a mini sledge till it comes out. Its kind of a pain but not too bad. Also be sure to loosen the ABS wire brackets to allow for the hub to drop.

I also cleaned and clear coated the new bearing hub so it wouldn't rust. Without out center caps it looks great!

Edit:
I failed to mention you will need a big socket to remove the axle nut. I believe its 30mm so correct me if I'm wrong. Air impact is nice for this as well but you can still take it off with a breaker bar.
It is 32mm btw
Old Feb 17, 2011, 08:59 PM

resolution?

My '03 just started making the same rubbing sound, but only when I pull the wheel to the left. There's no wear on the tires, or the fender walls (still dirty) so I know a tire isn't rubbing something. I just had the passenger side front wheel bearing replaced (before I found this thread), should I maybe try the driver's side? If I roll down the pass window going very slow, I can hear something metal clanging as the tire rotates. Any thoughts? Is this even related to the rubbing? I'm not sure exactly what parts rotate with the wheel, but I'm looking there next.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 11:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A wheel bearing will also make noise when you make a hard turn and the load moves to that side, and vice versa with the other side.
Old Feb 18, 2011, 06:41 AM

Before I got the car aligned it was only making it when I made a left turn (or even just played around in a lane on the highway), but after the alignment it's making it just going straight. The noise all but goes away completely when I turn the wheel to the right though. I'm gonna do some more driving around with the windows down, hopefully that will point me in the right direction.
Old Apr 7, 2011, 06:53 PM

why is this happening to SO many of us??????

Problem:

Constant humming sound coming from the front, increases loudness as i increase speed. When i turn the wheel LEFT ( either 1 degree or 180 doesnt matter) the humming gets lounder and also sounds like a metal on metal rub.

So i replaced the right side bearing.

THE NOISE IS STILL THERE. Like nothing ever happened. It is F***ing annoying!!!!!
Old Apr 7, 2011, 07:28 PM

Update*
The metal clanging noise I had was rocks in my tire, bouncing off the rim as it rotated at slow speeds, but stuck to the tire as speed increased. I replaced the LEFT wheel bearing/hub and the rubbing noise went away. Only took two right side replacements to get fed up and try the left. lol Glad I did, I can hear the turbo again!!!
Old May 1, 2011, 02:16 AM
Evolving Member

same issue here i hear it coming from the driver side every time i turn right. (i think it all started when i got my car aligned.. well at least thats when i started noticing it)
ill do some checking in the morning and update.

Last edited by gymnasty; May 1, 2011 at 05:28 AM.
Old May 13, 2011, 09:36 PM
Evolving Member

I checked everything I could physically possibly check and still the noise is there :/
Old May 14, 2011, 12:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
How did you check? The bearings will check fine in most cases. No play or anything. You may be able to feel it in the coil spring if you spin the wheel fast enough but other than that, there's no way to check a bearing.

Just start with the front drivers side bearing and replace it. If the noise is still there replace passenger. Its an easy job.
Old May 14, 2011, 02:43 PM
Evolving Member

when i said checked it i meant i lifted the car and pulled the wheel off and checked all the bushings, joints, nuts and bolt, control arm, cvj/axles, coil spring, strut, strut mount etc and everything seems to be in its right working condition.
i cant just start replacing things without knowing what it is exactly all tho your method of fixing the problem will work i just dont have money to be throwing away on parts that are perfectly fine. but thanks for the suggestion.
Old May 16, 2011, 09:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Like I said, spin the tire (fast) and see if you can feel the vibration in the coil spring.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 12:58 AM
Evolving Member

ok found the problem! it was the downpipe touching the tcase that was making the clunking noise. rerouted the downpipe a few centimeters away from the tcase and like magic the noise is gone
Old Mar 22, 2012, 04:47 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bringing back from the dead 4 years later! Problem SOLVED!!!!! READ FIRST POST TO SEE WHAT PROBLEM WAS

When I got my car I never had it aligned, until today, 3-22,12. It never felt like it was pulling either way, nor were my tires wearing oddly, or anything.

Only reason I had it aligned today was because I just lowered it this past Sunday on Swift Spec R's and had to get it aligned after dropping it.

Low and behold, got in the car when I left the alignment shop, and got up to speed, and didn't hear the annoying roaring noise that I have been hearing for the past 4 years!

So for me the alignment was my fix. Not sure of the changes the guy made on it, all I know is it doesn't make the noise anymore and I'm happy, lol.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 02:05 AM

Greetings to all im a new lancer driver..can someone please help me? I had my break pads and wheel bearings changed..but now on my display it shows ABS service in red while im driving? I checked the abs sensors is perfect.. what can the problem be? gillroxmarshall@iway.na Thanks in advance