Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Changed Wheel Bearing, and Noise Is Still There??

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2008, 10:01 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Changed Wheel Bearing, and Noise Is Still There??

I have an 03 Evo, and when I purchased the car back in February, it had a slight growling noise coming from the front right wheel. The noise wasn't as loud as it is now. After putting on my 18's, from my 3000gt that had been parked for a year or so, it became louder and more noticeable. You can feel it through the pedals and the steering wheel. The noise goes away when you unload the right wheel by turning right, and putting all the weight on the left side of the car. I know a lot of you are going to say wheel bearing. This was my first thought, so I ordered a front hub assembly, and changed it out. The noise is still the same and same happens when I unload the weight from the right. I was thinking it may be one of the tires, with possibly a belt shifted. I'm not sure if it is one of the cv axles or possibly anything else? Any input and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for the long post

Scott
Old May 24, 2008, 07:58 AM
Evolving Member

Bump, I know this couldn't be a dumb question. Come on guys.
Old May 24, 2008, 04:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you should get someone to inspect the entire front end.control arm.....etc
Old May 24, 2008, 06:14 PM
Evolved Member

what kinda speed does the noise become apparent?
Old May 25, 2008, 06:50 PM
Evolving Member

The noise starts around 45ish mph, and at 60 mph it sounds very loud, just like a bad wheel bearing roaring while you're going down the road. Around 70 mph or so its not as apparent as before, but still there. Thanks again in advance.
Old May 25, 2008, 11:51 PM
Evolving Member

Sounds like its probably a bad tire...
Old May 26, 2008, 12:03 AM

i just had this happen to me. does the noise go away at like 2900 rpm on decel? if so its a bad half-shaft
Old May 26, 2008, 02:59 PM
Evolving Member

Its not so much the rpm that matters, just the speed. Like I said, its not so noticeable under 45ish mph. I will check out the half shaft, and I have already inspected the tire, it had no visable knots like a belt was shifted, but still could be bad from sitting. Thanks for the inputs.
Old May 26, 2008, 05:29 PM

your not the one to inspect the tire.only an alignment place.had a problem with my tires and i couldnt see them and when i got to certain speed they were ****ting
Old May 27, 2008, 07:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I bet it's the other wheel bearing. I had to replace the one opposite of the one I thought it was. The noise got worse when i unloaded it. The way you describe the noise vs. speed is pretty much identical to the noises I had. When I turned to the right, loading up the left side, the noise got worse, so I replaced the driver's side with no success. It turned out to be the passenger side bearing.

Last edited by biggie5252; May 27, 2008 at 08:01 AM.
Old May 27, 2008, 09:22 AM
Evolving Member

That is how you tell which one is bad, by unloading the weight from the side which you think is bad. When you loaded up the left side by turning right on your car, and the noise got worse, that indicated the left side was bad, not the right. If you would have turned left, and unloaded the left side, the noise would have stopped. I replaced the passenger side wheel bearing on my car. By turning right and unloading the passenger side, the noise goes away, same as before I changed it. Thanks though.

Last edited by lghtngyello03; May 27, 2008 at 09:26 AM.
Old May 27, 2008, 07:14 PM
Evolving Member

Its probably the rear wheel bearing. Front wheel bearings seem to have a pretty long life in evos but the rears do not. Mine sounded like it was coming from the front as well.

If it makes the noise when turning left, its the right rear that has the problem. turning right, its the left side.
Old May 27, 2008, 07:50 PM
Evolving Member

check the wheel bearings for play in them. Jack up the car, and check for wobble from top to bottom. Grab the top of the tire with one hand and the bottom with the other try and tilt the tire in and out in (the camber change direction) . If there is excessive wobble, or the wheel assembly feels loose, check and see where the play is coming from, inspect the the entire suspension on that side. More than likely the play will be in the bearing.
Old May 27, 2008, 09:13 PM
Evolving Member

"Jack up the car, and check for wobble from top to bottom. Grab the top of the tire with one hand and the bottom with the other try and tilt the tire in and out in (the camber change direction) ."

I thought this is how you check for bad ball joints?
Old May 28, 2008, 04:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by lghtngyello03
That is how you tell which one is bad, by unloading the weight from the side which you think is bad. When you loaded up the left side by turning right on your car, and the noise got worse, that indicated the left side was bad, not the right. If you would have turned left, and unloaded the left side, the noise would have stopped. I replaced the passenger side wheel bearing on my car. By turning right and unloading the passenger side, the noise goes away, same as before I changed it. Thanks though.
I agree with you and that's what I did. I loaded up the driver's side, noise got worse (and got quiet with passenger side loaded), so I replaced the driver's side bearing. Noise didn't go away, so I replaced the passenger side bearing (I had ordered two), noise went a way. I don't understand it, just letting you know what happened. Maybe they both were bad? But the passenger side was much worse than the driver's side. I could hear and feel the passenger side bearing grinding when I spun it in my hand. The driver's side didn't spin as smooth as new, but it was alot better than the other.

I'm not trying to argue with you, just giving you a possible option before you start tearing apart your car. There also wasn't any play in either bearing.

Last edited by biggie5252; May 28, 2008 at 04:42 AM.

Quick Reply: Changed Wheel Bearing, and Noise Is Still There??