Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

How good are the HSD coil overs

Old Jul 13, 2011, 06:15 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since you have the all seeing eye, how can I compete with that glad you finally got that off your chest
Old Jul 13, 2011, 06:26 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
What I have is Evo development, race, and passion for racing under my belt.

Old Jul 13, 2011, 08:52 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smike, you dont like HSD's fine, IMO for the price of these HSD's I dont think you can go wrong! I own HSD's for my X and think the do the job!
In the future I will be wanting to go with something like the JRZ RS-Pro Suspension Kit, but for now, HSD and I havent had any problems! I ran Tein ssp coilovers with my rsx-s and thought they were alright but to tell you the truth these HSDs are 10x better, ya diffrent car but you can still feel the diffrence between both suspensions on each car!
Old Jul 13, 2011, 09:09 AM
Evolved Member

That's subjective. Do the job compared to what? A car on cinder blocks? An Evo with the springs cut can technically "do the job" too.

That $900 would be better spent towards saving up for a good set of coil-overs that come with proper rates, impeccable (known) valving, top quality construction, that are rebuildable with ease.

They are in the same "pick your color" coil-over realm.

Last edited by Smike; Jul 13, 2011 at 09:23 AM.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 09:28 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by GO ON 3
Smike, you dont like HSD's fine, IMO for the price of these HSD's I dont think you can go wrong! I own HSD's for my X and think the do the job!
In the future I will be wanting to go with something like the JRZ RS-Pro Suspension Kit, but for now, HSD and I havent had any problems! I ran Tein ssp coilovers with my rsx-s and thought they were alright but to tell you the truth these HSDs are 10x better, ya diffrent car but you can still feel the diffrence between both suspensions on each car!
<sigh> What job? Your stock suspension is superb by any measure under existence, and you replaced it with a subpar, shiny product that can't possibly hold a candle to what you had functionally and dynamically. Yes, these coilovers are inexpensive, it's not a huge drain to buy/install them, but to what end?
Old Jul 13, 2011, 11:02 AM
Evolving Member

well ok, lets put it this way, I had springs, just for the lowering aspect, then wanted to actually be able to play around with my coilovers and adjust them, cant do that with springs, so regardless and we all know springs are garbage, and Smike, cut the springs do that job? you come from the honda backround or what>? dont compare apples to oranges
lets not be fools here! bash something you have never tried bc of the specs you read off paper,, fantastic, and why do you care? you own a N/A ralliart, with tein springs? so who cares,, you dont own them and you would be better off with these then your springs.... just end it,, find another product you dont own and cut it up!
Old Jul 13, 2011, 11:07 AM
Evolving Member

well ok, lets put it this way, I had springs, just for the lowering aspect, then wanted to actually be able to play around with my coilovers and adjust them, cant do that with springs, so regardless and we all know springs are garbage, and Smike, cut the springs do that job? you come from the honda backround or what>? dont compare apples to oranges
lets not be fools here! bash something you have never tried bc of the spects you read off paper,, fantastic, and why do you care? you own a N/A ralliart, with tein springs? so who cares,, you dont own them and you would be better off with these then your springs.... just end it,, find another product you dont own and cut it up!
So in conclusion, HSD's "does the job" on adjusting ride height compared to lowering springs.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 11:18 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by raph
So in conclusion, HSD's "does the job" on adjusting ride height compared to lowering springs.
sure
Old Jul 13, 2011, 12:23 PM
Evolved Member

Smike's gripe is the majority of the coilovers that are around 1500 usually come with the wrong spring rates (You can specify now rates), valving isn't great (compared to some of the higher end offerings) and rebuilding in some cases is a nightmare.

If you are looking to track the car once in a while a good set of springs and MR or similar struts will do the job instead of spending 1500 you can save up a little more and buy something quality or just go cheap with some good springs and OE MR suspension.

I'd venture to guess that most of the people arguing with him just want to lower their car and any coilover offers ride height adjustability. So HSD would be no better for that type of goal then all the other choices (Tein, HKS, BC, Megan, etc)

Smike is track oriented. A lot of us aren't. So when you are reviewing coilovers you are looking at it from the lowers the car and doesn't pound my kidneys aspect. You aren't as concerned with properly valved struts that help rotate your car coming out of a corner.

I'd also venture to guess Smike is harsh because he's had to see the same comments about sub-par coilovers and stating your opinion over and over again gets annoying.

Last edited by SmurfZilla; Jul 13, 2011 at 12:25 PM.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 12:51 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by raph
Something like that...

I can't speak for GO ON 3 but I am sure he would agree that up here EVO 8 9 and 10 guys are looking to lower the car yet maintain or improve their handling capability. The wild card that is thrown in there is that in Canada we deal with snow. Now for some, they opt to store their car for the winter. (The smart thing to do) then you can run with the kick @ss Bilstein and good set of springs.

Unfortunately, most guys still brave the winter. We dont have a lot of EVO 8 9's up here because it was not not legal until 2009 or so, but they do the same. So many have hunted looking for a coilover that can handle the winter and still perform. There are many brands that are out there that have been branded by some as "lesser stuff". They talk a pretty good game of high quality but fall short in durability. Mainly due to our harsh weather. The reason why HSD has come up with Canadian guys is because they seem to last. I think the controversy here is how these coilovers are built and dialed in. What is known is that the kit is durable. Unfortunately there arent much current shock dyno results. I am going to send a kit out for some testing to bring forward some results. If I have enough coin by the end of the month, I am going to pickup a different brand and also send it out for comparative test and see what we come up with.

Originally Posted by SmurfZilla
Smike's gripe is the majority of the coilovers that are around 1500 usually come with the wrong spring rates (You can specify now rates), valving isn't great (compared to some of the higher end offerings) and rebuilding in some cases is a nightmare.

If you are looking to track the car once in a while a good set of springs and MR or similar struts will do the job instead of spending 1500 you can save up a little more and buy something quality or just go cheap with some good springs and OE MR suspension.

I'd venture to guess that most of the people arguing with him just want to lower their car and any coilover offers ride height adjustability. So HSD would be no better for that type of goal then all the other choices (Tein, HKS, BC, Megan, etc)

Smike is track oriented. A lot of us aren't. So when you are reviewing coilovers you are looking at it from the lowers the car and doesn't pound my kidneys aspect. You aren't as concerned with properly valved struts that help rotate your car coming out of a corner.

I'd also venture to guess Smike is harsh because he's had to see the same comments about sub-par coilovers and stating your opinion over and over again gets annoying.
Agreed

Streetable coilover is really the only context I talk about HSD coilovers. There is a world of difference between hardcore track coilover and a streetable coilover track capability.

Last edited by evo_soul; Jul 13, 2011 at 12:58 PM. Reason: Didnt see SmurfZilla's post
Old Jul 13, 2011, 01:09 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

well ok, lets put it this way, I had springs, just for the lowering aspect, then wanted to actually be able to play around with my coilovers and adjust them, cant do that with springs,...
Right. It's all about appearance. The problem is, you're on a technical forum and not on an appearance board. That's located right next door.

...so regardless and we all know springs are garbage, and Smike, cut the springs do that job? you come from the honda backround or what>? dont compare apples to oranges
At the risk of speaking for Mike, cut spring will accomplish exactly the same goal you're after; they'll lower the car in spite of automotive competence.

lets not be fools here! bash something you have never tried bc of the specs you read off paper,, fantastic, and why do you care? you own a N/A ralliart, with tein springs? so who cares,, you dont own them and you would be better off with these then your springs.... just end it,, find another product you dont own and cut it up!
There's such a thing as science. No matter how much one tries to protest, there's no way to get around that "obstacle."
Old Jul 13, 2011, 01:10 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evo_soul
Streetable coilover ...
To what end, when we're dealing with a car saddled with a world class suspension, stock?

...EVO 8 9 and 10 guys are looking to lower the car yet maintain or improve their handling capability.
How is that going to happen, given the fact above and all the other factors mentioned ad nauseum? Please stop this. I'm really trying to be nice.

Last edited by FJF; Jul 13, 2011 at 01:15 PM.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 01:14 PM
Evolved Member

In reference to your "does the job" comment. Heck, mounting rocks for wheels would work too. I come from a racing background

You also have zero clue what I've done in the Evo world. I just got the Ralliart from SuperMod otter as my winter and rally cross car. Go read that thread again. I had a very well setup Evo 8 that I raced (and won in) for years. I now have 4 cars

Completely wrong. Swift/GTWorx/Robi springs matched to Bilsteins would own these - any day of the week. You can stick your foot in your mouth now. You have no clue what proper performance is...even if it was sitting on your face.

Here is the joke, all you guys talk about getting cheap coil-overs for "adjustably". That's bull****. Once to set a cars ride height -- you don't **** with it. Every time you change ride height; you change alignment.

So just come on out and say it. You don't care about handling. You just want to wear a flat billed hat sideways and look cool standing next you your hellaflush, stretched tire Evo.

Originally Posted by SmurfZilla

I like this guy.

This is a technical forum. We have a great, pretty picture forum for the lowered for sake of lowered, **** handling, crowd. We call that Show and Shine. You are all welcome to get the **** out and post there

Last edited by Smike; Jul 13, 2011 at 01:16 PM.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 01:18 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by FJF
Right. It's all about appearance. The problem is, you're on a technical forum and not on an appearance board. That's located right next door.

At the risk of speaking for Mike, cut spring will accomplish exactly the same goal you're after; they'll lower the car in spite of automotive competence.

There's such a thing as science. No matter how much one tries to protest, there's no way to get around that "obstacle."
I get up to up state NY - I am buying you a beer Felix.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 01:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Smike
Here is the joke, all you guys talk about getting cheap coil-overs for "adjustably". That's bull****. Once to set a cars ride height -- you don't **** with it. Every time you change ride height; you change alignment.

Sad but true I've always bought coilovers but I NEVER change the ride height once its where i want.

If I'm being honest I think that this site is about 70/30 track vs street Evo's. 70% of the of Evo owners here lower their car more for Aesthetics and 30% actually track their car more then a few times a year.

You guys may disagree with me on this but I really do think there needs to be a separate/sub forum when it comes to wheels, tires and suspension. Track oriented forum and and then everything else. Kinda like Function and another for Form.

Smike can stop repeating himself to people who either don't listen or don't care what he's saying but get their feelings hurt when he calls them a moron and posters that are looking for coilovers that don't break the bank or want to get suspension that theoretically allow them to change ride height don't get jumped on and flamed.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How good are the HSD coil overs